All of our moderators have cybernetic implants. They watch over you as you sleep.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: PS5 Pro  (Read 218 times)

Offline Cobra!

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 15
  • ’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste
    • My website
PS5 Pro
« on: September 16, 2024, 09:08:08 am »
I'm moving this from another topic because it kind of shifted a bit.

So to summarise, the PS5 pro is going to cost $700, or €800 at launch, and it doesn't even come with a disc drive, and barely updates much of anything.

One extra turn-off for me is it boasting "AI Upscaling". Seeing how the UHD Blu-Ray releases of True Lies and Alien have turned out, I'm not exactly thrilled by this idea.

Heard about that. Absolute rip-off, but not at all unexpected.
That's how modern games and consoles are, cut out what used to be part of the main thing then sell it back separately for a premium.  :drowned:

Consoles these days (really starting with the PS4 and XBone) nickel and dime their user bases at every opportunity.
I think it goes deeper than that. It's no secret that console makers have been trying to go digital-only, with Microsoft closing down its physical games division, Sony stopping production of BD-Rs (Though I imagine companies like Verbatm still make them), and games generally requiring downloads to even function nowadays.

I think Sony are banking on players not bothering to fork over the extra money and just going digital, similar how phones managed to push users into using bluetooth earbuds instead of traditional 35mm headphones. Going bluetooth is just more convenient than buying an adapter when they force you to do so.

The PS3 was my go-to for online gaming back then since the only modern PC I had was a Compaq Presario with Windows 7 on it, and it could barely play Portal 2 at a good frame rate. I have a lot of fond memories of playing both the Multiplayer and Zombies modes of World at War and Black Ops, aswell as MW3 with my sister when that came out and Soul Calibur V with my brother when that was brand new.

I quit when I found out that the PS4 would require PS-Plus in order to play online. Now even Nintendo is doing it not only with basic online multiplayer, but even old games now require a subscription.

I'm sorry for going on a bit of a tangent, but I just hate that the modern ideology in everything from consoles to movies nowadays puts profit first to tenth. Giving them one horrible option.  :(

It's why i got a PS2 on my 15th birthday, why bother about all of this negativity when you don't have to play by their rules?  :bad_straight_face:

Also, i still play some COD Black Ops and World at War, replaying WaW's campaign on Veteran lately, it'd be cool to play zombies with you some other time but... i mean i guess you grew up enough to not have time nowadays...

Honestly, I've been retro gaming since 2008, and I've never really looked back. Though I wouldn't have guessed how badly gaming would have sunk since. Early PS3 and Xbox 360 games are still playable today, and most don't try to gut you for your money.

I did briefly go back to modern with the Wii U and PC DVD games, but the Wii U failed and PC went digital only.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2024, 09:12:33 am by Cobra! »

Offline RAYDEN

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 8
  • Dreams make a wish come true
Re: PS5 Pro
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2024, 10:54:28 am »
My mind went back to this old gem when I saw that PS5 Pro announcement  :sad_face:

Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho

Offline rapappa the pepper

• Hero
  • Blown With The Wind
    • Rapappa The Pepper's Neo Cities
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2024, 11:03:29 am »
The Wii U has aged better if anything.  :unsure: If you unlock it, it can run just about... Anything.
And because this was an era of Nintendo not doing that hot, it honestly was kinda warm with how Nintendo had to try harder, and it shows, i used to make fun of the Wii U but nowadays i think it's... Probably my favorite Nintendo system?  :O
Is this a forum they forgot, or has the forum forgot them?
Hello, pleased to meet you. Uhhhhh, i guess i like to draw traditionally a lot of Klonoa things, specifically for Whispers of Wind project, i make music for that too! As well as 3D models, not low poly Playstation fashioned tho, i like 90s Virtua Fighter 3 type models, any ways. You can know more about me at my Neo Cities: https://rapthepep.neocities.org/

Offline Mr.KokoPudgeFudge

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 5
  • I'm a guy who thinks way too much
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2024, 12:27:15 pm »
Ah, Sony. Selling a €800 paper weight... It's like they didn't even bother making a disc-drive because they knew there's no games for this thing. Even the original PlayStation had a better library!

Offline HaggisD1

• Heart Moo
  • Odd guy
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2024, 12:43:08 pm »
They got to make the money back that they lost from Concord somehow :embarassed:.
(I don't know the real reason why it is so expensive.)

Offline RAYDEN

• Heart Moo
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2024, 04:54:49 pm »
They got to make the money back that they lost from Concord somehow :embarassed:.
(I don't know the real reason why it is so expensive.)
According to Digital Foundry and some other independent video game journalists, apparently Sony is not subsidizing the console and are not looking to sell the PS5 Pro in volume. Hence the lack of marketing enthusiasm they put on it, maybe they are intentionally making unattractive to their mainstream market.

There is also the issue of Japan's fracturing economy, currently the Yen is experiencing a downfall. This may have caused the price hike on regular Playstation 5 consoles in the country recently, so the increased manufacturing cost for the Pro model may also be rebounded to the world. Of course I'm personally not totally in the know of their situation though.

Offline Cobra!

• Hero in Training
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2024, 08:24:48 pm »
My mind went back to this old gem when I saw that PS5 Pro announcement  :sad_face:

Oddly, I have never seen this before. This slaps!
We kind of owe the PS3 an apology. At least the PS3 got more exclusives in the first year of launch then the PS5 has after 4 years!

The Wii U has aged better if anything.  :unsure: If you unlock it, it can run just about... Anything.
And because this was an era of Nintendo not doing that hot, it honestly was kinda warm with how Nintendo had to try harder, and it shows, i used to make fun of the Wii U but nowadays i think it's... Probably my favorite Nintendo system?  :O
I wouldn’t go that far myself, but I did enjoy the time I had with it. I remember it more fondly than I do the PS4 and Xbone.

Me and my 3 college friends got the Wii U and PSVita both near launch… we were the only people we knew with either system. :embarassed:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2024, 08:27:41 pm by Cobra! »

Offline RAYDEN

• Heart Moo
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2024, 06:34:48 pm »
Oddly, I have never seen this before. This slaps!
We kind of owe the PS3 an apology. At least the PS3 got more exclusives in the first year of launch then the PS5 has after 4 years!
Sony got too comfortable after the PS4's monumental success, it doesn't help that it is a bit of a lesser system features wise. No backwards compatibility, arbitrarily blocking CD playback and paid multiplayer drove me away from it as well as modern consoles in general  :sad_face:

At least I still got my PS3 shelved, it just seems to refuse to turn on properly these days. It must have some kind of internal board issue.

Offline Cobra!

• Hero in Training
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2024, 09:11:32 pm »
At least I still got my PS3 shelved, it just seems to refuse to turn on properly these days. It must have some kind of internal board issue.
Have you tried the Repair Cafe? It’s a monthly event all around the world to help people repair things. I’ve gotten things repaired through these guys.

Offline RAYDEN

• Heart Moo
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2024, 09:47:26 am »
Have you tried the Repair Cafe? It’s a monthly event all around the world to help people repair things. I’ve gotten things repaired through these guys.
What an interesting foundation, unfortunately the nearest site is on the neighboring country. I don't think I love my PS3 that much to book a flight  :embarassed: I might just look for a local repair shop in due time.