Untamed Heart: Enough dream stones to run a sleep clinic!

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: So, you wanna make games?  (Read 3411 times)

Offline VikVanHazel

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 5
  • How curious...
So, you wanna make games?
« on: December 05, 2015, 04:07:34 pm »
I know there are a few members on this forum who are interested in making games. Most (if not, all) of them seem to have trouble getting their ideas past the planning stage. Perhaps, they lack some of the skills or the necessary talent to do so. So I decided to start this topic to give these users a place to ask for help if they find themselves "stuck" on an idea.
I'm mostly here to answer technical questions like A.I. behavior, path finding, and collision detection. But feel free to ask about other related matters as well.

Now, I must ask interested individuals to watch this.

After watching that, if you STILL want to develop a game, then please proceed.

Offline BinaryPulsar

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 11
  • Kore wa pen desu
    • Quotev
Re: So, you wanna make games?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 01:22:06 am »
So, truth be told i've been planning this game im making for almost a year now, but i kinda kept avoiding things to do with it besides thinking of a story and making some character designs. And that was because i was and still kinda am looking for people to help with it. I know i won't be able to make a whole game by myself like that guy who made Cave Story. But im willing to do most of the work, really the only things i need help with is sound design/music and sprite animations. I would have been willing to do even music as long as i could find someone to do animations, because im not a very patient person and animating is just not something im good at, im having a hard enough time just making plain art. But i found someone who'd be willing to make the music, though i haven't ben able to contact him in a few months. And i recently got a friend who's willing to program. I have another friend helping with designs and stuff. Problem is i can't afford to pay anyone, so i had this idea that in exchange i'd let them add their own original character into the game, as well as get he full game and soundtrack for free. Though it's been very hard to find people who are willing. Really all i would need to do to get production of the game under way, is to find a sprite animator, buy a game program (im leaning towards game maker since i have experience with that) nd buy a good mic so i can record voices. Im not gonna have voice acting but i need sounds for the main character, you know attack sounds and death screams and damage sounds ect ect. I also had an idea to take the main theme of the game and write lyrics for it to be the credits theme, i thought that would be cool. But as of now i just can't afford anything, and i won't be able to anytime soon. So i guess thats why i just kinda put it off for so long. It also doesn't help i don't have my comp anymore. But im planning on getting right into it as soon as i get it back.

So there's my story, sorry it's so long i kinda went overboard. I know this is an extremely hard project, but it's one i really want to do and would have tons of fun with, if only i could get some programs and a good comp cause honestly mine is a decade old and mehhhhh. But hey i've always been up for a challenge and i'd be willing to tackle this one.

So i have a few questions. In your opinion what's the best version of Game Maker for 2D platformers? Im planning on making a Shantae style game. Also, is there a prorgram or website or something for making pixel assets? I tried using Sumo Paint, which is the art program im most familiar with, but it's reallt bad for making pixel art. I'd be willing to make all the assets as long as i can find someone to animate the sprites, but i can't seem to find one. Im not very good at making pixel art anyway... But again it's something im willing to do. I would have to work on this in my free time though since i still have school to worry about.

But besides that im willing to work around these problems to make a good quality game, not for profit but just as a way to spread my love of gaming in general. Im in love with Japanese culture so im adding a ton of it into the game to help spread knowledge of it, i'll add other cultures in too and just show people what's it's like in different cultures. My real goal is just to make something that takes everything i love and puts it into something for other people to enjoy as well, that's my true motivation.

So there's my lengthy rant idk why i spent so long on it, guess i was just stressed and it felt good to talk about my projects to help lighten my mood

Offline VikVanHazel

• Hero in Training
  • How curious...
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 02:57:19 am »
The best version of game maker is dependent on the project's needs and budget. If you have no intention of porting the game beyond PC and Mac and don't care about features like shaders or steam achievements, then Game Maker 8 is the better option (mostly due to the lower price). Otherwise, stick with Game Maker Studio. Overall, you can get similar results regardless of which version you use.

As for creating pixel art, a program like GraphicsGale is a pretty good choice. But I should also mention that you are not restricted to just using pixel animations. Other methods such as bone animation can be implemented and might be easier for you to work with. Just thought you should take that into consideration. If it does come down to making pixel art yourself, then be sure to let me know. I can dig up a few useful guides for you.

Offline BinaryPulsar

• Star Member
  • Kore wa pen desu
    • Quotev
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 03:12:33 am »
The best version of game maker is dependent on the project's needs and budget. If you have no intention of porting the game beyond PC and Mac and don't care about features like shaders or steam achievements, then Game Maker 8 is the better option (mostly due to the lower price). Otherwise, stick with Game Maker Studio. Overall, you can get similar results regardless of which version you use.

As for creating pixel art, a program like GraphicsGale is a pretty good choice. But I should also mention that you are not restricted to just using pixel animations. Other methods such as bone animation can be implemented and might be easier for you to work with. Just thought you should take that into consideration. If it does come down to making pixel art yourself, then be sure to let me know. I can dig up a few useful guides for you.

Yeah Game Maker 8 is the one im experienced with. Im looking to put the game on Steam. Thing is, i also kinda wanna have it on 3ds eshop, idk how indie games get on but i'd be interested in doing that. Idk what engine i need though, i won't be making it 3D of course. That or wiiu eshop, i jist dind hand held consoles better for platformers. But yeah it was gonna be a very Shanta styled game
Also, what's bone animation?
If i had the time, money and resouces i would love to make the game in the style of Ori And The Blind Forest, or Indivisible, either one is beautiful. But since im gonna be doing most of the work im sticking with simple 2D Shantae style, that doesn't seem too hard

Offline VikVanHazel

• Hero in Training
  • How curious...
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 04:12:56 am »
If you want your game to be on the Nintendo eShop, then I'm afraid Game Maker simply won't cut it. You would have far better luck with something like Clickteam Fusion.
Even so, if you can't afford to commission animators or artists, then you REALLY can't afford that Nintendo 3DS development kit. :( I'm not trying to discourage you, but lets be realistic.

As for what 2D bone animation is...

Offline BinaryPulsar

• Star Member
  • Kore wa pen desu
    • Quotev
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 03:37:36 pm »
If you want your game to be on the Nintendo eShop, then I'm afraid Game Maker simply won't cut it. You would have far better luck with something like Clickteam Fusion.
Even so, if you can't afford to commission animators or artists, then you REALLY can't afford that Nintendo 3DS development kit. :( I'm not trying to discourage you, but lets be realistic.

As for what 2D bone animation is...

Yeah i can't afford it...but im thinking maybe if the game sells well on steam i could eventually afford it, and im also getting a job to save up money. Im taking inspiration from Freedom Planet and how it got onto the wiiu. It's a crazy idea but i think eventually (maybe in a few years) i can afford to get it on there.
Hm and im a tad confused on that vid, mainly cause i know nothing about any kind of animation so it's a whole new thing to me, but im gonna study it more and see where it takes me
Thanks for your help, i really appreciate it :3

Offline VikVanHazel

• Hero in Training
  • How curious...
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 08:04:22 pm »
Good luck! If you have anymore questions, then feel free to ask.  ;D

Offline Rupurudu!

• Breezegale Resident
  • Dreamer Rating: 37
    • Klonoa.org