Moos are watching you ◉ω◉

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Lemme tell you about Yo-Kai Watch  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Akagitsune Yukimura

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 7
  • Senpai will never notice you :)
Lemme tell you about Yo-Kai Watch
« on: August 30, 2015, 11:54:32 pm »
Okay, so I've spoken about this game and anime a few times before but I feel it doesn't get much attention.

For those who are unaware and don't pay attention to Japanese trends, Yo-Kai Watch (or Youkai if you want to romanize the original kana) is a series of games, anime, and manga that is becoming huge in Japan with kids, teens, and some adults. So huge that it's rivaling Pokemon in terms of popularity. The series focuses on a 10 year old Japanese boy named Keita, or Nathan in the west, who receives a device called the Yo-kai watch which allows him to see creatures called yo-kai. Yo-kai can be described as spirits that used to inhabit inanimate objects or living things and cause unexplained everyday events such as getting sleepy in the middle of the day or losing your cell signal. Now there's more to what yo-kai are, but I wanted to give a simple explanation as to what they are. Keita's goal is to find any yo-kai that are causing trouble to him or his friends, stop them, become friends with the yo-kai, and use it to stop more yo-kai. Again, there's more to it, but I'm trying to keep it simple.

The series is often compared to Pokemon because of the idea of a young kid having to capture creatures and use them to fight other creatures, but trust me, it's much better.

Now, the game is being released in the US on November 6, 2015, so I can't explain the gameplay too much, but the anime is great and I recommend you watch it. It would definitely explain the whole concept better than I could on a forum post. There's no English dub yet, but it's said to air on Disney XD in the US later this year. You can find the first episode subbed on YouTube here.

Please take some time and give Yo-Kai Watch a try, you won't regret it.  ;D
Maybe you will, I don't know. I can't tell what you enjoy through here.

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
Re: Lemme tell you about Yo-Kai Watch
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 12:25:57 am »
I remember seeing that cat. from this anime & game few times in Phantasy Star Online 2. Interesting how quick the whole thing is catching on. Idk if I'll be able to get my self to watch the anime or not but I may try the game sometime.

Offline BinaryPulsar

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 11
  • Kore wa pen desu
    • Quotev
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 04:17:32 am »
...can you read minds? This was posted the day i just started watching Yo-Kai Watch without me even knowing XD

I've been thinking about Yo-Kai Watch for awhile, ever since i saw it at E3, and finally decided to check out the anime today. And i got hooked. Im already on episode 12. The opening song is so catchy i can't get it out of my head XD and idk if it's just the opening, or the entire show itself, but it really reminds me of Corpse Party Tortured Souls for some reason. I think it's the opening. More specifically the part o the opening that plays when Jibanyan is facing the sunset, and up until the part when the chorus starts again. It just gets me thinking about the Corpse Party opening, and makes me wanna watch it again
(btw i highly reccomend not watching Corpse Party unless you have an extremely strong gut and can handle the absolute worst blood, gore, torture, ect ect. Like, we're talking insides being ripped out and limbs being torn off here)

Yo-Kai Watch is a great show. At first it both terrified me (in a humorous way) and greatly amused me. But the more i watched it the more i got used to it. Though im still pretty creeped out by Jinmenken XP
I think what hooked me the most was the fact that im studying and trying to learn as much as i can about Shinto, which got me studying both Kami and Yokai. I guess i thought it was really cool to see my fave yokai appear in an anime like this.
I didn't watch the Pokemon anime growing up (or ever really) but i have seen a few movies and played a few games. At first i thought this was a more childish version of Pokemon, but then i saw Jibanyan die on screen and i was like nope nope nope not Pokemon XD
It' a really good anime, i suggest it to anyone

P.S: does Fumi become a yokai seeing person too? I couldn't help but suspect this cause i happend to see a vid about someone showing off Yo-Kai Watch merch, and there being like, a necklace version of the yokai watch, and a pic of Fumi was on the box it came in. So i was like IT MUST BE TRUE!
Also does anyone ever find out Keita can see yokai? Episode 42 doesn't count cause it was just a dream (yes i sneaked ahead and looked at an episode list and that one caught my eye when it said they find out yokai exist, and i ended up watching it XD)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 04:43:58 am by BinaryPulsar »

Offline Chocolat

• Magical Grill
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 8
  • My style is rich, dope, phat in which
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 05:41:31 am »
I find this game odd because for some reason it has utterly destoryed Level-5's repuation and I honestly do not have a single idea why. I mean before Yo-Kai watch started getting REALLY popular (In japan anyway) Level-5 were really respected bc of games like Layton/DQIX/Ni no Kuni and then suddenly everyone started going >Level 5 >Not buying and most of the hate seems to funnel right into Yo-Kai Watch which makes no sense to me. For a start, the game looks pretty good (I'll be picking it up on the cheap for sure) and secondly the game is only availble in japan atm so I can't imagine that too many people outside of japan have even played it. The only real thing that I have seen that come in common with people who don't like the game is that they are mostly Pokemon fans so is it just because they are butthurt that maybe pokemon will become less popular? I mean to be honest Pokemon has gotten boring to me and the mega evolutions have kinda ruined everything so I'm more than happy to jump ship.
Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her, you are not alone.

Offline Arazeml

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 6
  • Ice princess that can't retire from Mario Kart.
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 02:17:20 pm »
IIRC, the anime Eng dub is coming out October 5th on Disney XD. Also I just found out you can nickname the Yokai! (this is important to me, I was going to get a Fubukihime and nickname it)
Also the anime is pretty good imo! I stopped around ep 20 or so to wait for more English subs, but I'll def rewatch when dubbed!
[

Offline Spirit Macardi

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 20
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 09:46:52 pm »
I'm kind of interested in the dub, because I'm a sucker for anything that stars Johnny Yong Bosch, but Level-5 has lost a lot of good faith with me for just how awful they've been about handling anything with an online component. The White Knight Chronicles 2 server shutdown was a major sore point for me, and since then they've also shut down other online-enabled games. As a result, I'm wary of buying anything from them anymore because I have no assurance that they'll actually keep it around.