We're partners with the Klonoa for Smash Bros. Facebook page! Be sure to give them a visit!

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: If they DID actually make a Klonoa 3...  (Read 4900 times)

Offline Artsy

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 18
If they DID actually make a Klonoa 3...
« on: August 27, 2015, 02:16:57 pm »
You know... one of my favorite things about the two non-portable Klonoa games is the difference in art style. Door to Phantomile went with 3D rendered sprites instead of trying to create 3d models that would have looked like this:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

and created something beautiful

And then Lunatea's Veil came along, and with the PS2's more advanced technology, was able to create a world in full 3d models, and created something entirely new for the franchise.

So why shouldn't Klonoa 3, if made, bring something new to the table, art wise? I personally think that it would look amazing in the style a few 2.5D games have taken as of late, such as Rayman Legends and Ori and the Blind Forest:

I don't know exactly how Ori was made, but the work that goes behind making Rayman can be found below:

I think that this style could easily work for a new Klonoa game, and obviously it doesn't have to be a complete cut and paste of these two games, especially since the fixed camera angle isn't fitting for a Klonoa game, but I think this could be an inspiration for creating a new style for a new Klonoa game, and would fit very well into the whole idea of introducing something new with every Klonoa game. What do you guys think...?

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
Re: If they DID actually make a Klonoa 3...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 02:22:00 pm »
Not fully sure what to think yet. I've been watching @Spirit Macardi  fan game start coming together bit by bit so maybe ideas could be tried in it later?

If Namco made an official Klonoa 3 I'd go all kinds of crazy for a week or more xD

Offline Meguumin

• Contributor
  • Dreamer Rating: 31
  • Inconsistent lurker
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 02:27:11 pm »
I'd love to see that happen. With how colorful the Klonoa universe usually is it'd turn out gorgeous.

Offline Randomizer

• Villain in Training
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 33
  • The Regular Army is no more
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 02:33:55 pm »
I think you're on to something here. :unsure:

I do like to see a Klonoa 3 someday. ;D

What would be the story then if it actually happens? :confused:

Offline Spirit Macardi

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 20
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 09:07:16 pm »
*scribbles down notes*

Don't mind me. By all means, keep talking ;3

Offline Chocolat

• Magical Grill
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 8
  • My style is rich, dope, phat in which
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 05:35:47 am »
Those games keep things strictly on a sideways view though. Klonoa is special because you go on a rail of sorts in a fully 3d world. I think the main focus should be to make a new world to visit + a new story then just upgrade klonoa 2's gameplay w/ new things to grab, possibly a new mechanic of sorts etc.
Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her, you are not alone.

Offline Artsy

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 18
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 09:14:28 am »
Those games keep things strictly on a sideways view though. Klonoa is special because you go on a rail of sorts in a fully 3d world. I think the main focus should be to make a new world to visit + a new story then just upgrade klonoa 2's gameplay w/ new things to grab, possibly a new mechanic of sorts etc.

I did mention that the fixed camera view would be an issue, and that it shouldn't be a direct copy and paste of either of these games, all I meant was that the art style would be very well integrated into a Klonoa game... Door to Phantomile was able to make Klonoa himself rather 2D as he traveled through a 3D space, and either the same could be done when or if this style is integrated, or instead, Klonoa could potentially be a 3D model with an extremely fine texture job...

New mechanics would definitely be something to think about, but one should never overwhelm the player. Especially since the time gap between Klonoa games would be enormous, new players would be coming in, and adding because it's a sequel doesn't necessarily mean adding with purpose. My only warning is think before anything is added, you know? New moos with new mechanics as to how they are utilized by the player would be really cool, because it makes a lot of sense: why shouldn't there be new animals in a new world..?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:18:16 am by Artsy »

Offline DreamTraveler

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 2
  • What you think you become
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 02:11:13 pm »
What could of been Klonoa 3 but Klonoa should stay his height I was gonna translate it but I suck at Japanese as it is.

I exist in your thoughts and dreams.

Offline CacmanZero

• Moo
  • Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 56
  • Moo's Dreams
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 09:17:34 am »
What could of been Klonoa 3 but Klonoa should stay his height I was gonna translate it but I suck at Japanese as it is.

Green model animation software should was this.  :|

Offline Graystripe2000

• Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 29
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 07:16:35 pm »
I think a Rayman Origins-like art style would work for a Klonoa game, but it would only work for a 2D side scroller like the GBA games and not the 2.5D corkscrew design of the main console games
Discord: Graystripe2000 #6860.