Don't trust flying fish. Especially Karal.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Poll

Project Heroes should:

Ask for help. Maybe we'll get better results elsewhere.
6 (54.5%)
Restart, rebuild, remake. Possibly make it an even better game.
5 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Some Issues Regarding Project Heroes.  (Read 4327 times)

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
Some Issues Regarding Project Heroes.
« on: November 23, 2014, 02:06:29 am »
Hey everyone. Darai here, head of the project. Now I know I haven't been posting most about the project lately and that's mostly because of my career outside the project. Now, I'm here to say that we hit a snag, it seems that a good chunk of what we need is encoded and it's quite the tough nut the crack. So we're left with a dilemma honestly.

Now we could push on and possibly ask for help from other sources who are definitely more seasoned than us. It'll continue as is as a hacking project.

The second option is that we reboot the project from scratch and possibly rebuild the game with the translation with a game engine of our own (possibly use @S.Z. 's Klonoa Engine) possibly adding features and such, therefore making it a remake.

I'm a bit curious as to what you guys think so I'll place a poll and we'll go from there.

Offline Sable-Xeno

• God in the Machine
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 50
  • The dude.
Re: Some Issues Regarding Project Heroes.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 02:50:47 am »
I've been saying this time and time again: Get outside help. I mean (and I loathe to admit this), look at how much Shiroe was able to accomplish on the project in a short time. Now, imagine getting together at minimum 10-20 encoders with such an equal talent, a faithful attachment to Klonoa, and a bit more "sticktuitiveness", I. E. "don't abandon the project after 1 week".  Something like what Tomato was able toaccomplish with Mother 3. Might still take a long time, but at least it might get somewhere.

And on the subject of remaking it....Not a great idea. it could be liable for a Cease & Desist, at which point you'd lose all that hard work. Either that, or it'll generally get nowhere, like all good fangames...or Vincentmrl's planned Klonoa DtP Vision 1-1 remake.

(Though, I'll give credit where credit is due: S. Z.'s engine has gone a faar greater further than most other fangames that I've seen planned out on here.)

Artwork drawn by Somnax (FA), 5th Gen Pokemon sprite bases made by Pokemon-Diamond (DA).

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
    • Den of Darai
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 03:06:18 am »
I've been saying this time and time again: Get outside help. I mean (and I loathe to admit this), look at how much Shiroe was able to accomplish on the project in a short time. Now, imagine getting together at minimum 10-20 encoders with such an equal talent, a faithful attachment to Klonoa, and a bit more "sticktuitiveness", I. E. "don't abandon the project after 1 week".  Something like what Tomato was able toaccomplish with Mother 3. Might still take a long time, but at least it might get somewhere.
Shiro didn't get any further than we did with the project. Also, as you can see, he's not here to show he's made any breakthroughs in it either. Also Mother's fanbase is bigger than Klonoa's thus they have more support than us. It's not easy just going in and begging for help.

And on the subject of remaking it....Not a great idea. it could be liable for a Cease & Desist, at which point you'd lose all that hard work. Either that, or it'll generally get nowhere, like all good fangames...or Vincentmrl's planned Klonoa DtP Vision 1-1 remake.
Not exactly. It's a fan project made from scratch and it's non-profit. If ANYTHING's that's questionable legal is having the ROM hacked to make the translation possible, which we all know having ROMs is considered illegal.

Offline dummy

• Dumbness Incarnate
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 20
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 05:39:54 am »
I just don't know, both options are good options, I suggest finding more supporters, if you didn't found any, Go Option2. (remake the game)

Offline RollingMeowcat

• An ordinary dreamer
  • Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 19
  • Not a fan of Sonic/Pokemon
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 05:56:44 am »
Hey, Darai. Why not ask me, your assistant?

Yes, I don't have much time for the project recently, but I do believe it's possible. All we have to do is make English texts appear and worry about the rest later.
Also, didn't I tell you I located and decoded some pictures on my own?

As for a fan remake, it's totally fine.
I mean, rebuilding the game isn't conflicting with making a patch. I want to complete the patch, though. It can stand as a sign of our community - consider the efforts you need to put into it!

Shiromon haven't been here for a long time. What's more, I don't think we can work together because we share different goals. I want to keep the translation faithful to the original while he tend to "improve" it.
Well, it's all up to Darai. I just say what's on my mind.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 08:01:20 am by RollingMeowcat »
My favorite animes:

More to come

Offline dummy

• Dumbness Incarnate
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 20
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 06:08:02 am »

Yes, I don't have much time for the project recently, but I do believe it's possible. All we have to do is make English texts appear and worry about the rest later.

I mean, rebuilding the game isn't conflicting with making a patch. I want to complete the patch, though. It can stand as a sign of our community - consider the efforts you need to put into it!

Shiromon haven't been here for a long time. What's more, I don't think we can work together because we share different goals. I want to keep the translation as faithful as the original while he tend to "improve" it.
It should look as the original, "improving" it will make it look like another remake of Klonoa, with bad voice actors too.

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 09:14:11 am »
I've not let myself play Klonoa Heros yet because I am waiting on either patch or me learning Japanese well enough one day.
I don't feel like I have all that much say I don't know much on hacking roms nor do I know how hard a remake will be but from what I hear that might be easier.
I'm in support for either or even both at once. Maybe slightly leaning towards trying to rebuild the game but I decided that just so that I could at least have a decision.

If it gets remade I would definitely like to see it stay as close to the original Klonoa heros as possible especially on the story but since I have not played it I'll have to rely on friends to point things out for me on that xD
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 09:15:56 am by Daemyn »

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
    • Den of Darai
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 02:29:44 pm »

Shiromon haven't been here for a long time. What's more, I don't think we can work together because we share different goals. I want to keep the translation faithful to the original while he tend to "improve" it.

Of course I'd ask you. Problem is that we barely see each other as much.

I can understand you want to continue the hack. I don't exactly feel like that if I were to build it from scratch that we're giving up. I just feel like that the means are a bit easier for us. That and we do have talent here--ample amounts of it--that would we have to help with it. I don't know. I'm just looking for input. Either way this project is far from dead.

Offline RollingMeowcat

• An ordinary dreamer
  • Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 19
  • Not a fan of Sonic/Pokemon
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 07:45:06 am »
If anyone's interested in a fan remake and willing to help, just start a separate project. Basically, a patched game remains as a official one and that's different from any fan works so they're not conflicting with each other.
Another reason: All I have now are my little programming skills. I don't know what can I do when it comes to a fan remake.
My favorite animes:

More to come

Offline Megahog2014

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 10
  • Lets Do This!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 09:25:45 am »
If we are deciding on a remake I suggest we learn how the game engine works first and then we can build the game itself..... also I would like to see if we could do english voice dubbing for some voices..... while I am at it.....

We could do animated cutscenes or keep the original text format cutscenes.
Add difficulty modes
Joypad support
Multiplayer minigame mode (mainly like box head survival mode)
Boss Rush
Multiplayer races maybe?
a LoZ styled puzzle mode with a level creator
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 09:48:32 am by Megahog2014 »
I am me.... I do things differently from others.... I may see things in a way others don't.... I might be strange to others eyes... but to myself I am a normal person....