No one knows what Rupurudu! really does. It is said he lives in the internet, eating code to keep the server running.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Let's talk about Klonoa's current state of popularity...  (Read 11250 times)

Offline YouDontKnowWhoIam

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 15
Let's talk about Klonoa's current state of popularity...
« on: July 10, 2014, 08:26:39 pm »
If you didn't read the title, do it, because I'm not going to reiterate what I just said!

Okay, we all know that Klonoa is a pretty underrated (AKA unknown) franchise, at least when compared to other BIG video game franchises out there.

But here's the thing, remember how when Shifty look announced that they were shutting down, that they said the franchises they represented were being talked about at conventions and stuff like that? Did that REALLY do anything?

Here the kicker, as time goes by, I have been looking through YouTube comments, and I am slowly starting to see Klonoa-related icons/avatars!

Discuss!

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
Re: Let's talk about Klonoa's current state of popularity...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 08:38:29 pm »
Don't let your self get too hyped yet. Though that might be the case actually. I don't watch as much YouTube as I used too though so I can't say for certain.

If anything think about it calmly wait and observe -WOW I FEEL LIKE AN OLD MONK SAYING THAT - But this is what I plan to do for a time with the series myself.

I expect NamcoBandai to eventually do something some day I don't know what day or when but surely something eventually.

Offline YouDontKnowWhoIam

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 15
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 08:41:14 pm »
Don't let your self get too hyped yet. Though that might be the case actually. I don't watch as much YouTube as I used too though so I can't say for certain.

If anything think about it calmly wait and observe -WOW I FEEL LIKE AN OLD MONK SAYING THAT - But this is what I plan to do for a time with the series myself.

I expect NamcoBandai to eventually do something some day I don't know what day or when but surely something eventually.

Actually, I'm not hyped, I'm curious about it, and thought I'd point out to you guys.

Offline Sable-Xeno

• God in the Machine
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 50
  • The dude.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 09:14:40 pm »
I'm sure that, while Klonoa is relatively unknown, he still has a relatively sizeable fanbase, especially compared to other franchises. (tell me, does Gex have it's own wiki? what about Solatorobo? Croc?) But his popularity has gradually increased somewhat- I don't think I've ever seen such respect on Miiverse for any other franchise  than when Earthbound was yet to be released on the U.S. Virtual Console.

Artwork drawn by Somnax (FA), 5th Gen Pokemon sprite bases made by Pokemon-Diamond (DA).

Offline Super Klonoa

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 3
  • The Dreamer of Light
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 11:11:09 pm »
Well, all I can say is, regardless of his current popularity, if they ever do develop a new Klonoa game, I hope that its not some crappy mobile release on iOS and Android. 'Cause that seems to be where some companies are focusing on, and its frowned upon by hardcore gamers like myself.

To Sable, you make a good point, actually. It's rare that I hear of Gex these days, considering that I've beaten his second game back in the PS1 days and played the third a lot. But that's probably because the Net was in its early days in the late '90s and Gex ultimately faded into 98% obscurity when the PS2 launched, whereas Klonoa didn't with Klonoa 2 when the Net became more and more used by people. And then there's the Wiimake, the comic, and the EoD re-release, whereas Gex had none of these things.

I blame it on Crystal Dynamics focusing too much on Tomb Raider, really.

PSN ID: Super_Klonoa

Offline Sable-Xeno

• God in the Machine
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 50
  • The dude.
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 11:39:31 pm »
Someone else who's played Gex? :O

Yeah, I remember reading somewhere that he was apparently popular back in the day, but it does seem strange that Gex never made that leap to PS2...

Getting back on topic, as has been stated in several other places, Klonoa has always been more popular in Japan, though I have no idea HOW popular.

Artwork drawn by Somnax (FA), 5th Gen Pokemon sprite bases made by Pokemon-Diamond (DA).

Offline Rupurudu!

• Breezegale Resident
  • Dreamer Rating: 37
    • Klonoa.org
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 07:01:00 am »
Well, all I can say is, regardless of his current popularity, if they ever do develop a new Klonoa game, I hope that its not some crappy mobile release on iOS and Android. 'Cause that seems to be where some companies are focusing on, and its frowned upon by hardcore gamers like myself.
^ this.

Actually, I think that Klonoa series are more popular on PlayStation's side, they should release Klonoa 3 for PlayStation 3 or 4 and not for CommercialFailure U.

Offline dummy

• Dumbness Incarnate
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 20
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 07:51:40 am »
CommercialFailure U

Can't stop laughing!

Offline Vincentmrl

• Crazy Pianist
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 11
  • Moo!
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 09:05:38 am »
Actually, I think that Klonoa series are more popular on PlayStation's side, they should release Klonoa 3 for PlayStation 3 or 4 and not for CommercialFailure U.

Wii U isn't a commercial failure, everyone has been flaming Nintendo for that, but after E3, even Kotaku agreed it's an awesome console and the already available games are good. No one has been caring about PS4 and Xbox one, selling a lot with basically no games (before E3), but everyone just flamed Nintendo (as usual) for the console's performance etc, yet games run 60fps 720p or 1080p and for example the new Zelda will too (the preview was an in engine trailer on a real Wii U). Remember that there are more Klonoa games on Nintendo consoles than Sony and Namco is partnering with Nintendo for a while (next Smash games for example). Wii U or 3DS (if they don't do crappy graphics) would be the best choice for them, even because fans have that console and Empire of dreams was a success with the Eshop release.

Offline Rupurudu!

• Breezegale Resident
  • Dreamer Rating: 37
    • Klonoa.org
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 10:33:26 am »

Wii U isn't a commercial failure, everyone has been flaming Nintendo for that, but after E3, even Kotaku agreed it's an awesome console and the already available games are good. No one has been caring about PS4 and Xbox one, selling a lot with basically no games (before E3), but everyone just flamed Nintendo (as usual) for the console's performance etc, yet games run 60fps 720p or 1080p and for example the new Zelda will too (the preview was an in engine trailer on a real Wii U). Remember that there are more Klonoa games on Nintendo consoles than Sony and Namco is partnering with Nintendo for a while (next Smash games for example). Wii U or 3DS (if they don't do crappy graphics) would be the best choice for them, even because fans have that console and Empire of dreams was a success with the Eshop release.
I'm still flaming nintendo for console's performance. They are still using same architecture with GameCube, which will make it's graphics look like 90's when compared to PlayStation and xbox.

Klonoa was successful on PSone and Klonoa 2 was successful on PS2, and I also think that Klonoa 3 will more successful on PlayStation.  ;)