In some instances, all you can do is wahoo.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Find missing Klonoa media  (Read 3930 times)

Offline mushroom32x

• Contributor
  • Dreamer Rating: 48
    • My homepage
Find missing Klonoa media
« on: March 17, 2020, 10:35:08 pm »
Asking for assistance on tumblr is quite unhelpful so I'm tossing this over here where I hope sometime somehow we can uncover more Klonoa media. I understand some of these are total shots in the dark... but stranger things have happened. I think it's important to at least bring attention to these and more.  :) This is gonna be image heavy.
---
More sprite rips! (The most image heavy, beware.)
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Also a bit image heavy...
Clearer shots/scans of Klonoa merchandise. There’s a lot of merchandise in the tag on Klonoa @ Blog but sometimes the pictures we find are small/low quality/not scanned. Also, any magazine scans we currently don’t have is welcome!
Merchandise tag for reference: https://klonoa-at-blog.tumblr.com/tagged/merchandise

Two guidebooks were published for the game Namco X Capcom. Klonoa characters appear in this game. Of interest is any artwork or pages inside these books relating to the characters. Apparently, there are storyboards for the intro animation in one of these books which Klonoa makes a brief appearance in as well.

熱血野球 !! ファミスタ (Literally: Hot Blooded Baseball!! Family Stadium) is a comic published in Comic Bun Bun magazine by Hitoshi Ogino to promote Family Stadium DS 2009 for the Nintendo DS. Klonoa, along with other Namco characters, appear as baseball players. Currently, the full comic hasn’t been found. There are multiple chapters and only a few panels are floating about the net.
Found so far: https://klonoa-at-blog.tumblr.com/post/185772658183/%E7%86%B1%E8%A1%80%E9%87%8E%E7%90%83-%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%83%9F%E3%82%B9%E3%82%BF-literally-hot-blooded-baseball
https://klonoa-at-blog.tumblr.com/post/179898074200/%E7%86%B1%E8%A1%80%E9%87%8E%E7%90%83-%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%83%9F%E3%82%B9%E3%82%BF-literally-hot-blooded-baseball

In Ridge Racer 6, there’s a track called Aviator Loop that has two Klonoa billboards. While this track also appears in Ridge Racer 7, the Klonoa billboards are not present. We would love clearer screenshots of them or textures from the game.

Been curious about what Klonoa is doing in this guidebook for World Stadium 3(?) but scans of it would be neat.

Klonoa was one of the opponents in Namco’s Seven Bridge card game as part of their App Carrot (アプリキャロット) service for older Japanese cellphones.
It is likely to remain lost media like all of Namco's old cellphone games.

Video: https://klonoa-at-blog.tumblr.com/post/184447030786/klonoa-at-blog-footage-of-the-old-klonoa-mascot
Footage of the old Klonoa mascot costume performing an on-stage dance. This is assumed to be at the World Hobby Fair in 2002 when they were showing off Klonoa Beach Volleyball. The original source of this footage is unknown and the audio is missing. I believe they're dancing to Stepping Wind? We got photos and one or two instances of short footage for Klonoa hanging around booths at shows, but more would be awesome but it's probably vanished from the web or nobody has such a thing around.

An old magazine published in Japan called 日経CG (Nikkei CG) showcasing computer graphics and technology had a story about the making of Klonoa: Door to Phantomile’s intro animation. The exact issue is No.138, March 1998. A .pdf of this is available online but it is only accessible to students of the Nara Institute of Science and Technology. We may have already seen bits of this from Hideo Yoshizawa when he was discussing the intro storyboards in his Klonoa Chronicles tweets.

----

There's so much lost/missing Klonoa media, it's dizzying. If anybody can help or think of more, throw it here. Maybe someday a master detective can help us find it all. Until then, here it is in one place.

Offline Cello2WC

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 3
  • 4 'd NOpé'r'd 't n)
Re: Find missing Klonoa media
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 07:04:54 pm »
I don't really know that much about sprite ripping, but decided to try and rip the sprites from Family Tennis Advance. Wasn't able to get much, but what I have should make the job a lot easier for someone who knows what they're doing.
Klonoa's sprite data appears to begin near offset 0x90D38. I haven't been able to get things to actually align properly, but the sprites there definitely belong to Klonoa.
The sprites use two different palettes: one for the hat, head, and ears; another for the body and legs.
The bottom palette's data is [0000 7f4b 7ea8 7a05 6902 4c00 7fff 6318 4631 2108 03ff 02d9 01f4 049f 0059 0013] (appearing as [Transparency, 5 shades of blue, 4 shades of gray, 3 shades of yellow, 3 shades of red] going light to dark).
The top palette's data is [0000 7fff 6318 4a52 31ad 1ce7 03ff 02d9 7f4b 73a8 7a05 6902 2442 3cc5 3ac0 4adb] (appearing as [Transparency, 5 shades of gray, 2 shades of yellow, 5 shades of blue, 3 weird colors that I believe belong to the racket] also light to dark)

Also, just so I'm not only coming back with a bunch of numbers, I've got the sprites from the character select screen. Nothing fancy, just isolated from a screenshot with the background layer disabled.

Edit: adding attachment of VBA savestate with Klonoa unlocked
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 07:07:36 pm by Cello2WC »

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 07:18:53 pm »
Hmm, I wonder if @Meguumin could be of assistance on this?

Offline Meguumin

• Contributor
  • Dreamer Rating: 31
  • Inconsistent lurker
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 10:33:23 pm »
Hmm, I wonder if @Meguumin could be of assistance on this?

I've made a tweet about this on the archive in hopes we could get more assistance. Some of this stuff are things I've been searching for years fruitlessly. If New Horizons doesn't Body Snatcher me then I'll try looking again this weekend!

EDIT: Was actually able to find an active listing for the NxC guide/art book fairly quickly. To anybody who can spare a chunk of change, here ya go - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Namco-X-Capcom-Official-Guide-Book-Japan-Game-Character-Art-Book/233129459133?hash=item3647993dbd:g:OAQAAOSw~6hcYT~0
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 10:39:09 pm by Meguumin »

Offline SerialDreams

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
  • Huepow! Rupuruduu!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 09:50:34 am »

EDIT: Was actually able to find an active listing for the NxC guide/art book fairly quickly. To anybody who can spare a chunk of change, here ya go - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Namco-X-Capcom-Official-Guide-Book-Japan-Game-Character-Art-Book/233129459133?hash=item3647993dbd:g:OAQAAOSw~6hcYT~0

Done.
"Wahii, rupurudu!" = "Okay, let's go!"

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 02:06:28 pm »
Done.
whoa are you serious? Thanks!

Offline SerialDreams

• Star Member
  • Huepow! Rupuruduu!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 07:19:31 pm »
whoa are you serious? Thanks!

Yep!  ;)
I got paid a fair amount from my work recently and I figured I could spare a little money.
Speaking of, do scans of this guide exist? If not I'd be more than happy to make some when it arrives.

;D

Offline Meguumin

• Contributor
  • Dreamer Rating: 31
  • Inconsistent lurker
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 07:23:56 pm »
Yep!  ;)
I got paid a fair amount from my work recently and I figured I could spare a little money.
Speaking of, do scans of this guide exist? If not I'd be more than happy to make some when it arrives.

;D

Oh yes please do! I searched high and low for scans and couldn't find a thing. Thank you for contributing ;v;

Offline mushroom32x

• Contributor
  • Dreamer Rating: 48
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 09:54:33 pm »
That's great! Can't wait to see.  :big_smile:

Offline SerialDreams

• Star Member
  • Huepow! Rupuruduu!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 09:30:57 pm »
Update on the NxC guide/art book.
It was supposed to have arrived by now, but I have heard that courier services in the US at least have slowed down a little because of the virus I shan't be naming.

On that note, hope y'all are in good health during all of this.
I'd hate to lose any one of our crowd.

In any case, I'll keep y'all posted.