Browsing this site on a smartphone? Be sure to browse it in landscape for the best experience!

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: The malicious website dis.cool, and how it affects your Discord experience.  (Read 1111 times)

Offline dummy

• Dumbness Incarnate
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 20
Greetings everyone, I'd like to notify all of you that happen to be using Discord that there's a website named dis.cool that scraped all and every server that used the Server Widget (the website widget that shows you the members) until sometime in December 2019 where Discord modified how the Server Widget works, Basically, If a server gets scraped by dis.cool, It'll archive the server and ALL of the members that happened on the server at that time and basically give people the ability to search for them through the website (and destroys your privacy by listing every single server it found you on, regardless whether you left it or not), This is a huge problem since spambots can now annoy you without much effort, and if you have a stalker, It'll be very easy for them to get you through dis.cool if they happen to know what you would name yourself in the Discord platform.  :angry:

It also violates the GDPR rule of Europe for not respecting the Right to be Forgotten law by NOT allowing any user to request removal of their data, They have a link that claims to "request removal", but it actually redirects to a cancerous meme that even 13-years old me would've cringed so hard on how terribly bad the meme is.  :very_angry:

TL;DR If you're a privacy nut like me, Avoid joining public (or big) Discord servers, Also if you found yourself in the search users section of dis.cool, That means that you gotta be ready for the spambot friend requests and stalkers to annoy you to boundless limits.  :angry2:

Offline Meguumin

• Contributor
  • Dreamer Rating: 31
  • Inconsistent lurker
Pretty positive that what the site collects is already classified as public information. Now if it was collecting private IPs or even email addresses, then it would certainly be far more concerning.

Of course that doesn't excuse the refusal to take down individuals' information when requested. Even general phone number or address collecting sites would abide that. If this whole thing is really breaking Discord's TOS then I'm pretty stunned nothing has happened yet, even for the other sites that do this.

Offline dummy

• Dumbness Incarnate
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 20
I'm aware that what they're collecting is public information, but it's clearly breaking both Discord's ToS and Europe's law.

Unfortunately though, this isn't the first time a website broke Discord's ToS without a real penalty for a long time, Discord has been always known to take ages to actually take action whenever a website breaks their ToS, This happened before with a different website, but the scraping was on a much less degree than the method dis.cool used.

Honestly, I only made this post to inform y'all about the existence of this website just in case if there's a privacy freak like me.  :smile2: