Everyone needs a little Joka in their lives. <3

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: [ROM Hacking] klo-gba.js, your dream painter - Level Editor for Empire of Dreams  (Read 1893 times)

Offline trickster

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 3
  • Hello ~~

Hello everyone!  :big_smile:

After many many months, I'm finally almost arriving to a stable version of klo-gba.js, your dream painter!
Using this rom hacking tool you'll be able to paint your dreams on Klonoa: Empire of Dreams game, and play it on computer by an emulator or on a real Gameboy Advance console!

I'll be very happy if someone customize the original levels for others amazing level, with nice challenges to solve.
As well to share this tool and your levels in YouTube, Twitter...

Since there is no Klonoa game for a while, we could create own games of the dream traveler, and I hope that it could create more notoriety for his games.
There are so few GBA games that has a complete level editor like that, and now Klonoa is one of these few games!

If you want to understand the crazy things about how it works, you could read these blog posts (in English or in Portuguese). Caution: there are many lunatic and confused things  :sick:
You also could watch these talks, that is a beginner friendly way to understand the internals of this project. It was very nice to talk about Klonoa to a huge audience at these conferences.

Talk at The Conf 2019, in Brazil.
Since this conference has a general audience, half of this talk is about reverse engineering, and the other half is about the front-end. Slides

Talk at BalCCon, in Serbia.
Since this conference is geared towards security, this talk is focused on the reverse engineering process. Slides

« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 10:50:16 am by trickster »

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
That's neat, I like this idea. How hard would it be to make new enemies and the like?

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
I really need to mess with this tool someday. freaking awesome work :D !

Offline IsmaDLR

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 7
Having this tool is good and all, but what limits we will have with this tool? Will we be able to modify the airboard levels or change them for regular levels? Can boss stages be changed someway?

I'm really curious about it and I'm definitely going to play with this tool for a while and see what can I create.

Offline trickster

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 3
  • Hello ~~
That's neat, I like this idea. How hard would it be to make new enemies and the like?

Too much hard. On reverse engineering process is very easer just modify something than create a new one.
So, for example, only changing the position of an enemy or increase its speed is very easer than create a new enemy.

I wrote and spoke about that on talks and posts that I linked. If you have some time, you'll like to read/watch it.

I really need to mess with this tool someday. freaking awesome work :D !

Very thank you! Please, post your experience when you test  :)

Having this tool is good and all, but what limits we will have with this tool? Will we be able to modify the airboard levels or change them for regular levels? Can boss stages be changed someway?

I'm really curious about it and I'm definitely going to play with this tool for a while and see what can I create.

At this moment, you can:
- edit the tilemap (but just with the tiles pool that this vision already has)
- you can move the objects on a vision and change its kind (but just to a kind that the vision already has)
And to do it on visions 1, 2, 3 and 5.

I didn't tried to modify the airboard neither autoscrolling levels. Maybe it could work fine, but I haven't tried yet.
I'll test it before to stop to develop new features in this tool. At this moment I'll work just to add more visions, to fix some bugs and to improve the documentation of this project.

There are so much nice things that I would like to add (such as to change the flying moo's path), but I also want to start new projects, so I need to stop to develop new things on klo-gba.js.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 07:59:18 pm by trickster »