Don't trust flying fish. Especially Karal.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: LAWSUIT: Namco Bandai vs. ATGames  (Read 192 times)

Offline Mario123311

• Paku
  • Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 0
  • Fandom’s Heretic
LAWSUIT: Namco Bandai vs. ATGames
« on: September 29, 2019, 01:43:24 AM »
This is a very long read and I do apologize, But it’s been a very hot subject this past week.

Hey, guys... It’s been a while. Truth be told: I avoided coming here again out of fear of this fandom/community in general due to drama and me annoying people unintentionally. But that’s besides the point. I wanted to say I’m glad you guys are finally getting a new game like you deserve. That is the reason I kept pushing for you guys to fight and come together in the first place. I don’t blame anybody for being irritated with me, But you are the people I honestly have to thank for why I am so critical minded these days.

Unfortunately, I can’t say much good news has come for my part: You all know how much I loved Pac-Man, Particularly the World trilogy and Adventure games. Well recently there’s been an ongoing lawsuit between Bandai Namco and ATGames (Yes, THAT ATGames.) over the royalty rights for Ms. Pac-Man. Basically, If you are a fan of the series like me; you would have noticed how Missy as a character had barely any reappearances throughout the 2010’s and was basically retconned out of existence following Ghostly Adventures, Something that fans and non-fans alike absolutely loathed. But there is a reason for this: The original Ms. Pac-Man Arcade game was originally a ROM hack made by a group of college students called General Computer Corporation. (GCC for short) Whom Midway hired back in the 80’s, and once Namco found out about the project they turned the unofficial sequel into an official one. They would continue to use the Ms. Pac-Man Character for years up until 2006 when GCC filed a lawsuit for them not paying royalties. So what happened as of now is Namco was in the midst of finally settling their long bitter relationship with GCC when ATGames (whom they let make a BLAST plug & play of their IPs last year) snuck behind their backs and outright purchased them while they were still discussing things. Considering the lawsuit seems to be why Missy was retconned from the series to begin with, I fear we are going to be stuck at square one for a long time again.

You can find a hundred page complaint Namco filed online in a few places but the reason I especially worry about this is because of how much I’ve wanted to come back to this franchise but just can’t because it’s stuck with insignificant mobile-tier games and nostalgia pandering rehashes. The issue also doesn’t just extend to the game but the mere character of Ms. Pac-Man as well whom was very prominent in the old World-era lore and prior. And unless Namco can get the rights for her back, Pac isn’t gonna be revived anytime soon. If they lose? There goes the chance of World trilogy remakes, any possible comeback sequels or any chance of Missy ever appearing again. I could care less about her arcade game being re-released ever again, I just want Pac-Man to actually be GOOD again because it’s been in an utter dark age since the early 2010’s. I’m devastated and honestly very anxious. I don’t know much about legal stuff but I know court cases take a long time to finally get to... I just doubt this series is ever gonna recover unless they can get back the rights for her and restore the old lore/continuity. It seems like they’ve avoided making Adventure games aside from that failed reboot BECAUSE of the legal spaghetti regarding GCC.

I apologize if this sounds overdramatic but, I just always wanted to educate you guys that: I swear this series used to be good past the early 1980’s. If the worst outcome does happen, that’s it. Pac-Man ain’t evolving... and honestly: if that’s the case? The series should just be given a proper burial. I’m rooting for Namco to win here... Especially after the realization all this stuff over the past couple of years mistreating this franchise may not have been their fault after all. This might possibly be Pac’s only chance at making a comeback, and it will all be for nothing if ATGames gets away somehow. Anything could happen at this point.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 01:10:53 PM by Mario123311 »

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 59
    • Den of Darai
Re: LAWSUIT: Namco Bandai vs. ATGames
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 12:19:36 PM »

If anything, I’m just happy I helped you all dig Klonoa out of the grave. Even if I’ll likely not end up getting anything in return. I’m not trying to guilt-trip or get your sympathy. But I definitely  feel like my heart and spirit was destroyed if it wasn’t already.

[...]

This might possibly be Pac’s only chance at making a comeback, and it will all be for nothing if ATGames gets away somehow.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 12:21:35 PM by the_darai »

Offline Mario123311

• Paku
  • Hero in Training
  • Fandom’s Heretic
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 01:10:05 PM »
Not sure what this response is supposed to indicate but... whatever, I guess. Call me poor with words if you must.

Offline Meguumin

• Contributor
  • Dreamer Rating: 25
  • change da world
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 06:01:22 PM »
Good. I'm sick of that yellow orbed hooligan and his missing pizza slice wife. Give me remasters of actually decent & original content.

Offline Mobotropolis

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 16
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 09:49:02 PM »
My recently and dearly departed mother was a huge Pac-Man fan, so I knew the origins of Ms. Pac-Man.

Read the story before commenting.

If Namco's aim is to make Pac successful without paying royalties to the guys who made Ms. Pac-Man, then her inclusion (or exclusion) in future content won't really be affected by the outcome of this case. They don't want to pay Royalties. So their aim with Ghostly Adventures was to make new female characters to go on adventures with Pac.

It's The Pendering on a less grand of a scale.

Feel like Pac and Klonoa are a bit kindred spirits in some ways. They are both mascot-like characters who had a memorable game that resonated with a lot of people released a long time ago -- but then Namco couldn't figure out what to do with that. 

Pac merchandise sells because of the retro and nostalgic factor. He's one of the most famous characters in gaming. But Namco isn't sure how to build a character or series off the fame that he had in the 80s. So we get an experimental game every couple of years. And a re-release of Pac-Man on every device imaginable to make a quick buck.

The Klonoa series is similar -- especially now that the creator of the series is retired. Klonoa's always been an enigma of a series (think that's the whole idea), but how would they proceed if they really wanted to revive the series?

For Pac-Man, the problem seems to be more than the exclusion or inclusion of certain characters.

It seems they're lost when it comes to what direction to take these games in.

Offline Mario123311

• Paku
  • Hero in Training
  • Fandom’s Heretic
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 10:19:38 PM »
My recently and dearly departed mother was a huge Pac-Man fan, so I knew the origins of Ms. Pac-Man.

Read the story before commenting.

If Namco's aim is to make Pac successful without paying royalties to the guys who made Ms. Pac-Man, then her inclusion (or exclusion) in future content won't really be affected by the outcome of this case. They don't want to pay Royalties. So their aim with Ghostly Adventures was to make new female characters to go on adventures with Pac.

It's The Pendering on a less grand of a scale.

Feel like Pac and Klonoa are a bit kindred spirits in some ways. They are both mascot-like characters who had a memorable game that resonated with a lot of people released a long time ago -- but then Namco couldn't figure out what to do with that. 

Pac merchandise sells because of the retro and nostalgic factor. He's one of the most famous characters in gaming. But Namco isn't sure how to build a character or series off the fame that he had in the 80s. So we get an experimental game every couple of years. And a re-release of Pac-Man on every device imaginable to make a quick buck.

The Klonoa series is similar -- especially now that the creator of the series is retired. Klonoa's always been an enigma of a series (think that's the whole idea), but how would they proceed if they really wanted to revive the series?

For Pac-Man, the problem seems to be more than the exclusion or inclusion of certain characters.

It seems they're lost when it comes to what direction to take these games in.
Keep in mind ATGames bought the royalties from GCC while Namco was in the midst of finally settling their long-term relationship with GCC to begin with, Meaning they were close to outright buying her out for themselves. ATGames swooped in while Namco were right in the middle of clearing up the mess, basically.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 10:26:34 PM by Mario123311 »

Offline edo

• Wind
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 10:59:10 PM »
Perfect! We don't need pac-man world games anyways.