There are several cat-like creatures in series, but one is the best. (Tat, obviously.)

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: What do we really know about Klonoa?  (Read 2420 times)

Offline SerialDreams

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
  • Huepow! Rupuruduu!
What do we really know about Klonoa?
« on: August 23, 2019, 01:22:52 pm »
This recently came to mind while thinking about backstories to characters I have created.
I started to wonder, what do I (or we) really know about Klonoa?

I mean, aside from the fact that he is the "Dream Traveler".
What do we know about him?

What family does he have?

Can't really count his grandfather since I'm pretty sure that's revealed in text somewhere that Grandpa isn't actually Klonoa's grandfather.

And if you consider that spoilers... why haven't you already beaten a 21 year old game? Not that hard to emulate!  ;)

Why was he specifically chosen to be the Dream Traveler? Or is it even something unique to him?

Are any number of the things he has done real?

Is Klonoa even a Dream Traveler?

Well, I can kind of answer that.
Since Klonoa appeared in Emperor Jilius' dream in Empire of Dreams.
I remember the last cutscene from Empire of Dreams where Jilius wakes up, realizing that he had been dreaming.

And thanks Klonoa for helping him.
So in short, yes, Klonoa really has the ability to visit the dreams of other people and help them.
Possibly sacrificing his own in the process.

But that's the only one I can really provide any answer towards.

I'm curious to see if there's anything else to learn about Klonoa.

Also I don't know if I can count Heroes as a reliable source in this, since Heroes seems to be a rewriting of Klonoa's past. Huh, unless Heroes takes place in the awake world and not the dream world.  :unsure:
"Wahii, rupurudu!" = "Okay, let's go!"

Offline A Mira-Miran

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 2
Re: What do we really know about Klonoa?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 11:27:00 pm »
I haven't played the GBA games, only 1 and 2. So I'm not sure how they connect if at all.

Spoilers for 2, as I don't know how to tag spoilers. Been a while, sorry.

Both the opening text in 1 and 2 reference Klonoa knowing he had a dream, but he couldn't remember what it was about.

Judging this along with how he acted in 2, I'm guessing Klonoa just loses his memory every time he leaves a dream. Which is honestly pretty true to life, as a lot of people know they have dreams, but many of them can't really be remembered. (At least that's the case with me haha)

That being said, at the end of 2, he tells Lolo:

"If you don't forget the sadness of this moment, we'll always be together."

Very similar to Huepow's words towards the end of the first game.

This implies that he does seem to recall bits and pieces of what happened in the first game.

Popka also mentions how Klonoa seems similar to the Goddess Claire.

In my headcanon, there seems to be this unseen force that guides Klonoa from dream to dream in order to maintain peace. Perhaps Claire is involved, or Klonoa is a reincarnation of her, ect.

Either that, or Klonoa is just an average kid in the real world with fantastical dreams. Could be as simple as that.

Offline SerialDreams

• Star Member
  • Huepow! Rupuruduu!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 11:04:58 pm »
Empire of Dreams and Dream Champ Tournament (or at least Dream Champ Tournament on it's own) take place after Lunatea's Veil, this is supported at least in DCT when Klonoa sees Lolo and Popka and says "Long time, no see!", or something to that effect. The point is Klonoa knows who Lolo and Popka are in DCT meaning he already visited Lolo's dream at this point (I believe Lunatea to be Lolo's dream, anyways).

As for how Huepow could still be with Klonoa after they were tragically separated in the first installment, you got me there.

Maybe as the prince of Cress he somehow got the ability to travel with Klonoa to other dreams (hence how he's with Klonoa in Empire of Dreams).

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 12:13:16 am »
I do think Klonoa has partial awareness of his dream traveling. Think of the ending of Klonoa 2 Lunatea's veil.

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 12:53:38 am »
I do think Klonoa has partial awareness of his dream traveling. Think of the ending of Klonoa 2 Lunatea's veil.
well he definitely didn't know where he was in the second game

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 12:58:33 am »
yeah which is why I think it is partial. like he knows sorta but kinda. idk it's like amnesia it seems like every time he jumps worlds.

Offline egg

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 4
  • ☆ just a dreamer ☆
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 11:09:15 pm »
didn't know how to exactly answer any these questions (though i like to think he may be a reincarnation of Claire,) but something that has always been at the back of my mind is:
what exactly is a dream traveler?
What does it take to become a dream traveler?
Is Klonoa the only one, or are there more out there?
don't know why, but i like to think there's a couple more out there.
 :sleeping:
eggsthetic, eggtastic, eggpect the egg puns.

Offline SerialDreams

• Star Member
  • Huepow! Rupuruduu!
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 10:59:46 pm »
We may have an answer from one of Lolo's first lines in Klonoa 2.

"Klonoa... so Klonoa is the name of the Dream Traveler."

*the* Dream Traveler, implying he's the only one.
Or at least he's the only *known* one.

Offline Cello2WC

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 3
  • 4 'd NOpé'r'd 't n)
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 10:01:14 pm »
Well, you could also read that line as "... the Dream Traveler [that was mentioned by Baguji]." ("the Dream Traveler" vs. "The Dream Traveler"?), so I think multiple Dream Travelers are still possible.
I always thought that Klonoa was fully aware of his dream traveling, and was acting all confused at the beginning of LV just because the world of Lunatea was brand new to him and he was still getting his bearings (or he hit his head on the rocks on his way in...)

I'm really curious about in what way Popka thought Klonoa was similar to Claire. How much do we actually know about Claire? I know that there are modern and ancient versions of her and something about being "purged of evil" or something, but did she ever get any more lore than that? The only other time I remember her being mentioned is the "Claire amulet" (Clair's amulet?) in Heroes, but that was just an item so not really any lore...

Offline DreamTraveler

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 2
  • What you think you become
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 08:14:45 pm »
This recently came to mind while thinking about backstories to characters I have created.
I started to wonder, what do I (or we) really know about Klonoa?

I mean, aside from the fact that he is the "Dream Traveler".
What do we know about him?

What family does he have?

Can't really count his grandfather since I'm pretty sure that's revealed in text somewhere that Grandpa isn't actually Klonoa's grandfather.

And if you consider that spoilers... why haven't you already beaten a 21 year old game? Not that hard to emulate!  ;)

Why was he specifically chosen to be the Dream Traveler? Or is it even something unique to him?

Are any number of the things he has done real?

Is Klonoa even a Dream Traveler?

Well, I can kind of answer that.
Since Klonoa appeared in Emperor Jilius' dream in Empire of Dreams.
I remember the last cutscene from Empire of Dreams where Jilius wakes up, realizing that he had been dreaming.

And thanks Klonoa for helping him.
So in short, yes, Klonoa really has the ability to visit the dreams of other people and help them.
Possibly sacrificing his own in the process.

But that's the only one I can really provide any answer towards.

I'm curious to see if there's anything else to learn about Klonoa.

Also I don't know if I can count Heroes as a reliable source in this, since Heroes seems to be a rewriting of Klonoa's past. Huh, unless Heroes takes place in the awake world and not the dream world.  :unsure:

But I am right here  :hey:
I exist in your thoughts and dreams.