For each time you go to Idle Chatter, Lolo trips over an object.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Keeping a promise to my younger self.  (Read 1849 times)

Offline Elias Foxmane

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 6
  • Huim Fatomiyona? Wahuu, les mul...
Keeping a promise to my younger self.
« on: January 15, 2019, 08:22:44 pm »
Good evening to all.

In fulfillment of a long-held ambition of mine, I have been working on a project to elucidate the Phantomilian language of Klonoa 2: Lunatea’s Veil. I had sworn to myself when I was young that if ever I knew enough about languages, I would someday try to unravel the grammar of a language that seems – on the face of it – to have so much underlying structure. That was fifteen years ago.

Sometimes, one takes a while to get around to things.

I have completed the first of what will hopefully be a series of papers toward an actual grammar of Phantomilian and intend to post it later in the week after some pressing duties are behind me. However, I did not want to simply swoop in, walls-of-text in hand, without first introducing myself to the board.

I hope that this project will be of use and interest to the Klonoa community. After having heard of the film, and being sorely disappointed by the news of its cancellation, I too want to do my part to bring some more exposure and recognition to a character and series that seems to touch so many so deeply. It might just be my myopia, but seeing how many over the years have expressed an interest in gathering together a Phantomilian lexicon, having a group actually speaking what is manifestly a beautiful language in its way – however contrived – would be a powerful testimony to how deeply Klonoa touches so many.

I look forward to interacting with you all. If nothing else, may you all derive some pleasure from watching me contort nonsense into the rank-and-file of syntax and paradigms (if, in the end, it is possible).

-Foxmane

Offline Painty

• Heart Moo
Re: Keeping a promise to my younger self.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 10:51:52 pm »
A warm welcome, Foxmane! You sound incredibly passionate for this project. I think we'd all appreciate something so ambitious, especially related to the Klonoa series. Good luck, and hope you enjoy your stay here!

Offline Phantomilian Hiro

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 03:36:02 pm »
Welcome to the forums Foxmane!

Your project sounds incredibly ambitious, Phantomlian is still very intriguing to me and it would be interesting to know even more about it.

By the way, I hope you can enjoy being here, I'm sure you will.  :D

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 05:44:30 am »
Welcome to the Klonoa collective. I  hope you will enjoy your time here. I am quite interested in seeing how your Phantomillian project goes :O

Offline Elias Foxmane

• Wind
  • Huim Fatomiyona? Wahuu, les mul...
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 06:01:26 pm »
 :sleeping:

I had hoped to be able to reply before now. But after a week of long days, and having to coordinate the visit of the Lutheran Bishop of Siberia (yes, really - because how often in one's life does one get to use that excuse?),  I am finally able to reply to your gracious welcomes.

A warm welcome, Foxmane! You sound incredibly passionate for this project. I think we'd all appreciate something so ambitious, especially related to the Klonoa series. Good luck, and hope you enjoy your stay here!

Welcome to the forums Foxmane!

Your project sounds incredibly ambitious, Phantomlian is still very intriguing to me and it would be interesting to know even more about it.

By the way, I hope you can enjoy being here, I'm sure you will.  :D

Thank you both! Perhaps the use of the word 'ambition' on my part was a little unfortunate: I don't think that this project is necessarily any more or less ambitious than any other research project. I don't fully know what I am going to find, but having worked with the material for a little while now, I can state with firm confidence that there is something there to find. I work in the light of the words of the Great Detective himself:

'What one man can invent, another can discover.' (Sherlock Holmes, 'The Adventure of the Dancing Men')

Welcome to the Klonoa collective. I  hope you will enjoy your time here. I am quite interested in seeing how your Phantomillian project goes :O

Thank you very kindly! I will be posting the promised paper presently. (Hopefully I can get the tables to behave.)