Untamed Heart: Wahoo is more popular than Yahoo!

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Super Smash Bros Ultimate  (Read 15339 times)

Offline Questklonoa

• Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 16
  • Tiger-kun
Re: Super Smash Bros Ultimate
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2018, 05:05:09 pm »
So after playing some Smash Ultimate, and being able to unlock Incineroar, I would say that Incineroar is insanely fun to play as. I'm not really a big fan of grappler characters, but Incineroar has made it fun to play as one

(I haven't played other more traditional fighting games like Street Fighter, so yeah. But I have played Street Figther 3, but I don't think I played as Hugo, bleh.)

Also, the controls I found are a bit slippery. Like, it works fine, but it sometimes makes me do a down tilt when I want to do a forward tilt, and so on. It's weird(and I'm using joy cons. Not the single one, it's just super small and awkward to use. Still works better than with a Wii remote imo, but it's still awkward to use).

World of Light is fun, but is kind of a chore to unlock characters, and sometimes annoying to fight certain spirits.

Despite all this, Smash Ultimate is a great amount of fun to play! Of course, being a Smash Bros game, always try to play it with friends(and hope that you have many fighters to play as, and not have a small library of fighters to play with, unless you play it online and such)

Offline IsmaDLR

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 7
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2018, 02:37:48 pm »
Also, the controls I found are a bit slippery. Like, it works fine, but it sometimes makes me do a down tilt when I want to do a forward tilt, and so on. It's weird(and I'm using joy cons. Not the single one, it's just super small and awkward to use. Still works better than with a Wii remote imo, but it's still awkward to use).

Yeah, Ultimate seems to be a faster game than Smash for 3DS/Wii U, but it seems to be very finicky with the stick direction. And it's not something exclusive to the Joy-Con: I only used a Pro Controller and this happens very frequently. Not only with directions, sometimes the character just doesn't jump when he's perfectly capable of jumping in that situation.

Also, unlocking characters... I never thaught I would say this, but unlocking all of them, no matter the method you use, is a tedious nightmare. In theory, having to unlock 60+ characters looks cool, but in practice it's only fun the first times. Also, having to wait until being able to re-challenge the hidden characters if I manage to screw it up (or the random character I got is trash) it's a change I ended up hating, since I'm so used to being able to have another chance after the next match. Being able to have that option in the menu, but instead of waiting, just being able to access it from the get-go would be a nice fix to that: it would give you the choice to give it another go or just keep playing until you feel you're ready.

I would love to say better things about Ultimate, and I'm still going with World of Light (BTW, every spirit that has the enemy spit fire at all times is the definitive proof that that item was and still is the worst item ever) so maybe I could say a lot of great things about Ultimate. And probably will, since some (a lot of) characters, even with the strange controls, play better than ever before with the faster everything in this game. But there's some flaws that bug me a lot.

Offline Thorp

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2018, 02:04:45 pm »
I've been playing Ultimate perhaps too much since launch. My bro and I grind-ed through Classic mode as a 2 player team to unlock a character after each run. The easiest way was for the second player to choose Gannon and just forward smash until win even at max intensity.

As for bugs in the game, I'm frustrated that button inputs with wireless pro controllers can get lost. The 1.2 patch seems to have helped with the drops but every so often the character won't jump or up+special, leading to totally avoidable falls. I'm reluctant to commit to using gamecube controllers because my hand prefers the pro controller.

All in all I'm very happy with Ultimate. There are numerous settings and options that are available at the start such as Random stage selection and being able to disable map hazards. I am a bit daunted by the amount of characters but I'm definitely glad all the characters are in. Ridley's down+special (skewer) that deals 40% damage is quite funny when it lands and everyone in the room holds their breath in shock...but the zoom in totally messes with the vision of the other players.

I have spent time relearning Duck Hunt and Poketrainer and tried out Isabelle who I'll likely play just to mix it up from time to time. But I took the time to learn Pichu, just because, and man I don't know if I can stop. I still believe that Duck Hunt is my main because I really enjoy the complexity of using the Trick Shot (explosive can)... but Pichu is a real glass cannon and knowing that every point of damage matters for Pichu just feels right. Also I don't usually heavy edge guard in pvp games but Pichu's recover-ability after a spike attempt makes it so satisfying.

Offline Painty

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 6
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2019, 09:03:18 pm »
Do you think they'll be DLC characters besides the Fighter Pass ones? I mean, Piranha Plant isn't one (although not sure if it's pre order exclusive). If that's the case, then think of the possibilities...

Offline Graystripe2000

• Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 29
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2019, 11:34:39 am »
Piranha Plant isn’t Pre-Order exclusive.
Discord: Graystripe2000 #6860.

Offline Thorp

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2019, 01:10:20 pm »
Piranha is free if you buy the digital game before January 31st 2019

Piranha for the physical copy is free if you register code inside the box with your Nintendo account before January 31st 2019
source

Offline Painty

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 6
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2019, 02:03:19 pm »
Oh I thought it was. The point is, it's never been confirmed whether it's available for purchase by itself or not.

Offline Mobotropolis

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 18
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2019, 08:04:36 pm »
https://smashbros.nintendo.com/buy/

Piranha Plant will also be available as paid DLC (separate from Fighters Pass content) at a later time.

I don't think there will be other characters outside of the fighter pass, but just like last time you'll be able to buy any character they release separately if you don't want to pay for the pass and get them all at a discount.

Offline Graystripe2000

• Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 29
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2019, 04:06:32 pm »
Banjo-Kazooie is in. I repeat! BANJO-KAZOOIE IS IN!
Discord: Graystripe2000 #6860.

Offline IsmaDLR

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 7
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2019, 04:58:30 pm »
And now, the question everyone is making: who will be the next two characters introduced?

I have a feeling one of them will be the protagonist of Astral Chain.