For each time you go to Idle Chatter, Lolo trips over an object.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: A guide for running Klonoa 2 on PCSX2 [V0.3]  (Read 22891 times)

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
Re: A guide for running Klonoa 2 on PCSX2 [V0.3]
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2019, 06:35:55 pm »
Truly PCSX2 has made so many strides in the past decade. I'm half tempted to stream Klonoa 2 from it. That'd be amazing!

Offline TheAce19

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 0
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2019, 02:06:41 pm »
I have tried to get it running on my PCSX2 which is the latest release and had audio issues. This helped me fix it, however I now have issues visually. There seems to be some black glitchy textures around all models now. If anyone knows a fix, I'd appreciate it.

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2019, 11:45:03 am »
May be a video driver issue but otherwise. make sure all the hardware hacks are off and that there is no anti aliasing on.
If that doesn't work then try software rendering mode or a different renderer altogether though now I think it is just direct11 or opengl
On directx 11 anti aliasing tends to do this if you manage to force it on. But so can some injectors cause it like reshade. I also got a less intense version of this to happen on directx9 when it was supported.
 :sick:
Yeah X-Ray vision or inside out Klonoa 2.... Very hard to play like that btw.

If all else fails try different video drivers especially if you are on an amd card.

Also there is an updated Japanese Klonoa 2 patch as well starting with this build onwards.
https://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/index.php?m=dl&rev=v1.5.0-dev-3015-g936f66d70&platform=windows-x86

Offline FireBird-

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 2
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2019, 08:41:57 pm »
Hi Voka, I tested the latest build you posted, the one with the PAL patch. The PAL version with the Europe BIOS I used in previous builds froze in a black screen after Namco's logo, but the NTSC version with the US BIOS worked. No biggie, then. Audio was perfectly fine with the latency trick.

I haven't reached levels with fire or Volk that crash on me if I ran the game at 60fps so I can't comment on that for now, but I have a few graphical issues if you wanna help...

Like so I used the Direct3D 11 settings you recommended earlier and I can run 5k without pushing my GPU too far. But even at such high resolution the game looks... blurry?  :confused: I launched the older build I used to play with OpenGL, and it looked sharper, but still not quite there. I looked up the HD screenshots you shared long ago and I don't know how but yours looks a lot smoother. How can I reach those graphics? Here's a comparison:

Yours:
Mine (4k):

After taking that I tried to replicate another of your screenshots. In mine below you can see there's a weird border around the dialogue box, I've had this issue in the other build as well. There's also a  weird frame border in the save/load screen (https://i.imgur.com/qWMRK7Z.png), and always around the pause menu, the world's name in the map, the inventory HUD (https://i.imgur.com/NCceZ67.png)... Also in this one I set my window aspect ratio to 16:9 at 100% zoom (I haven't messed with that) but it looks stretched and still a blurry. :sad_face: I would love to have my game look the same. How did you get such nice widescreen? My current monitor is 1080p 16:9, if that helps.

Yours:

Mine (5k):

Thanks for the attention again, Voka.  :)

Offline OCG

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 2
  • Serbian Prinny
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2020, 10:38:30 pm »
Try changing interlacing to Bog tff. That gives me much better graphics.

Offline avarbiv

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 0
  • trapped in a bubble
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2020, 08:08:09 pm »
I played it recently with the latest devbuild of PCSX2 (1.7.0 b762) and the configuration advised at the emulator’s wiki. It ran absolutely fine except for some minor slowdowns…until it reached what was supposed to be the beginning of the credits and it froze.

Does any of the setups on this thread does not have this problem?

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2020, 07:45:07 am »
I've been able to fix it a few times by setting the audio to timestretch mode. Though I don't know what is fully causing the issue. I've had that same problem happen not just on pcsx2 but also on a modified real PS2 as well using FreeMcboot + OPL

Offline HylianBran

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 4
  • Glover vs Klonoa Beach Volleyball: Dawn of Racism
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2020, 01:39:21 am »
I've only ever played the game on OPL and never had any issues (after turning Mode 6 on), outside of crashing the game on the first Ark stage after hitting a specific enemy in a specific way. This is getting completely off topic, but I remember when I bought the FMCB Memory Card. My friend had a PS2 he let me borrow, which I'm guessing was because of how much I talked about Klonoa, so I just messed around on the menu for weeks, looking online to shop any time I could. After searching hard and competing on Ebay auctions for Klonoa 2, I ended up caving and just buying a FreeMcBoot card. Oh christ the ensuing days were painful. It shipped in two days, but my family went on a week-long trip, and I had Klonoa 2 lodged in the back of my mind the whole time. Then I finally got back home and put the card in, but despite having OPL pre-installed, it would not work. I messed around on it for a while, and I distinctly remember crying in my pillow. Then I decided to turn it back on and mess around in the file explorer, and I booted up OPL from that explorer. And my games just so happened to show up. Then playing it for top to bottom without getting up a single time, just IN the experience. When people ask me why I love Klonoa 2 so damn much, well, it's right there. I've never felt the same way with... anything. This period in time is the best I have (and like will) ever experience(ed).Oh, then waking up the next morning and playing Kingdom Hearts for the first time, at 5:00AM, then going to Walmart for a Veterans Day Scouting event, and rushing back home to replay Klonoa 2. That was the life! Damn, it's weird saying that I was hyped for a game that was already out for so long (and one this obscure), but that was one hell of a time. Oh, sorry. Guess this wasn't exactly the best place. Well, I guess that can be your slice of Klonoa for the Holiday season... in the Emulation thread. How did I get here?

For an actual comment, I wanted to mention that documentation OPL compatibility issues on the whole isn't exactly good. But for Klonoa 2 in particular I feel like it is almost always off, and the same thing is for K2 compatibility on the PS2 Classics emulator for PS3, which is horrendous btw, never play the game like that. I've never played the game on an PS3 FAT, neither have I played it on the PS2 Classics emulator for PS4 (as I do not own a PS4), so I can't exactly comment on those. But given the let's just say problematic PS2 emulation that's been seen on the PS5, I'm guessing it won't be very great there.
Backloggd: https://www.backloggd.com/u/HylianBran/

crazy crazy graveyard theory
ghost tried to approach me
got leery

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2020, 07:35:10 am »
I've had bad times trying to play through all of Klonoa 2 on a ceche01 fat ps3 and a modified slim that can be forced into software emulating all the ps2 when it comes to Klonoa 2.

Btw cechA01 & cechb01 will play Klonoa 2 just fine as well as their japanese versions cechA00 and cechB00 PS3's

As for ps4 well..  :sick:

Maybe someday I can get a particular sort of ps4 to try it my self but no luck yet. Game still runs best off of disc or non glitchy OPL. And then PCSX2 after some tweaks