In some instances, all you can do is wahoo.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Poll

Ps1 DTP or wii DTP

Wii
8 (34.8%)
Ps1
15 (65.2%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Klonoa Door to Phantomile [Wii] VS. [Playstation]  (Read 10784 times)

Offline MaskedRazzle

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 0
Re: Klonoa Door to Phantomile [Wii] VS. [Playstation]
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 04:54:11 am »
There's a lot of little things that add up as to why I think people can't get into the wiimake like the original (at least, these are MY reasons.)

1. No FMV cutscenes. Pretty huge considering the ending is one of the biggest things that stick out in people's mind when they play this game. But the in-game models just don't do it in justice. It's just such a major downgrade.  :sad_face:

2. The redesign. Dunno why they had to "modern sonic" klonoa for this one. There was nothing wrong with his old design. For OTHER games this new klonoa would've been fine, but he's supposed to be a child in DTP, isn't he? This also extends out to other characters.(what's with Ghadius' big clown hands?) At least we didn't get the design they had planned...

3. The voice acting. Yes, there's an option to turn it off, but even the phatomile feels a bit...off? (Is that just me?  :unsure:) Overall it sounds like just another kids game dub, but Klonoa sticks out as having the least fitting voice they could have possibly given him.

4. They made the game easier! When you've got a 10 hit lifebar, it's pretty much impossible to die. They even shortened the length of the pitfalls in the final boss fight for whatever reason.

Then there's other stuff other people have already mentioned like the presentation, so...

I am gonna say that I think the remake looks a lot duller than the original. Color wise. Just compare the two when you have a chance.

Offline egg

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 4
  • ☆ just a dreamer ☆
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2017, 12:03:12 pm »
I clicked the Wii one on accident. x_x

I never played the Wii one, but I watched a playthrough of the Wii one, but I honestly like PS1 version a lot better.
One thing I really like about the Wiimake is Klonoa's redesign,, what can get more snazzier than that jacket ?? I like it, and I have the guts to say it's my favorite design of Klonoa. No seriously I want that jacket. I would put pastel enamel pins on it ftw. I STILL CANT GET OVER JOKA GROWING LIMBS I CANT TAKE IT SERIOUSLY LMAO. at the same time, Huepow loses his limbs (his arms.) Why ?? Huepow looked so awesome with the white gloves ?? One thing that I just really hate about the Wiimake is the color palette. I might be the only one that noticed this. The shading just looks like they just put the white/black air spray brush effect and oversaturated it, and the color choice seems sssoo watered down compared to the original. I have no problem with the difference voice actor though.
Another thing that I like about the Wiimake was how much smoother the animations looked ? That was a surprise.

It appears I had no problem with the original, yet as stupid as it sounds, design choices put the Wiimake down for me imo. Kinda made it cringe inducing for me. Actually my response to this is cringe lmao
eggsthetic, eggtastic, eggpect the egg puns.

Offline Derpy Hooves

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: -53
  • Just a lurker
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 08:13:04 am »
Ok current score is 5 for wii 10 for ps1
Guess what... You're a Cutie

Offline Derpy Hooves

• Hero in Training
  • Just a lurker
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2017, 08:37:39 am »
Ok after playing both a little more I have some new opinions

First I must say I have played DTP half way through on an emulator 2 years ago. But have since played some more.

First, the controllers for both are a par with each other but still are clunky and rather sloppy this might be my controllers condition though.

Second,comparing the graphics I have to say the in game/non-FMV scenes graphics for both are good but I feel you get more emotion from the wii klonoa. But, I feel the FMV are a little more entertaining.

Third, the ps1 has terrible sound effects that just make it feel like a NES game. But the ps1 version has nicer music

Fourth, the wii version is much easier but because of that a better game for new players. But ps1 is harder and can be more fun for long time players

Lastly, the story feels exactly the same and saying that the differences in the character dialog is just a odd but not game breaking change.

In conclusion from what I have played of dtp ps1 and klonoa wii I still thick the wii version is better only because of the game having more content.

Offline NaughtyRoach

• Windy Boi
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 8
  • Just chilling.
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2017, 09:40:48 am »
Hmm, guess I have to put my two cents on this... :(

There is no doubt that the Wiimake looks better than the original DtP, but... I still think the original DtP is the winner, well let me explain it.

1. The voice acting, now I'm not talking about the English voice acting (simply put, Klonoa's ENG voice has bad voice direction, the rest of the characters' voice acting is good, tho the Saturday Morning Cartoon style doesn't really mix well with the game's tone imo), I'm talking about the Phantomilian, like @MaskedRazzle said, it's a bit off, it doesn't have the same amount of emotion and soul as in the original DtP's, the prime example of this is the cutscene after you beat Nahatomb.

2. The cutscenes, it's no doubt that the real-time cutscenes look better than the original FMV cutscenes in some ways, the character animations look a bit stiff compared to the ones in the FMV imo; also I don't know why they thought it was a good idea to have the music plays at the begin of the second last cutscene...

Instead of having the music plays when Huepow reveals the plot twist like the original DtP...

This is the biggest reason why I suggest newcomers of the series play the original DtP first instead of the Wiimake, cause the Wiimake, imo, ruined the biggest surprise/plot twist in the game.

3. New character names translation, is there any reason why they changed Joka's name to Joker and Huwpoe's to Hewpoe? I know the name Joka is a mistranslation, but what's the point of correcting it a decade after the original DtP being released? The Huwpoe seems even more pointless to me imo.

4. The new health system, the original DtP imo suffers from having too few health pickups imo, making the last four visions really hard to finish, I remembered I had a seriously hard time trying to beat those visions in my first playthrough and I gave up on finishing it as the result. Although Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil only has 3 HPs, the game overall is easier because they have more health pickups in the game. The dev team of the Wiimake could just put more health pickups and keep the HPs to 6 just like the original game does and fix the issue, instead, they just gave the players the ability to take 10 hits before they died. It just feels like someone put a bandage on a huge wound, it works, but definitely not the best way to address the problem imo.

I may wanna add more in the future, but for now I'mma just gonna stop.

Overall, like what @Rupurudu! said, Klonoa Wii is not a bad remake, it's far from bad, but it's just not as amazing as the original DtP, tho I still recommend the Wiimake to those who have finished the original DtP but not the Wiimake.

(There maybe some grammar mistakes and typos in this long passage thingy, but at least I tried to fix them... Wish my English is not too bad or something...)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 05:51:44 pm by Roach (RoachKiller_416) »

Offline Derpy Hooves

• Hero in Training
  • Just a lurker
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2017, 05:46:37 pm »
Ok after reading roach's post I can actually appreciate dtp a little more. If it is coming off as me hating DTP I am sorry. The wii and DTP are both fanatasic games just I find myself a wanting to play the wii one a little more. DTP ending does look a lot better then I original though as before I only saw it in 30fps 240p on youtube. And I have not made it to the levels that roach mentioned I have made it only to 4-1 2 years ago on DTP and I felt as though that I was far enough in to properly compare DTP and the Wii make. I am doing a let's play of DTP soon so I will keep you posted when I do play more.

Offline Klonoa13

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 0
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2017, 06:48:24 am »
Third, the ps1 has terrible sound effects that just make it feel like a NES game. But the ps1 version has nicer music.

I should probably point out that the Music was not changed at all when the game was remade for the Wii, As both versions used the exact same music with no changes whatsoever. I don't know if you meant that the music just sounded cleaner on the PS1 or you were assuming that the Wii Remake changed the music a bit, But I digress.

When it comes to the Wii and PS1 Versions, it's honestly a bit hard to say which one is better. I give points for the Wii Remake for including more content while changing a few things (like the fact that the original did not allow you to go back to any previous levels you had already visited until you actually beat the game. The Remake allows you to return back to any levels you already gone through.) But admittedly some aspects were better done on the PS1 Original.

I didn't mind the fact that Klonoa was reverted to his Modern Look that has been used since Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil. (Hell if I'm being honest, the Blue Zipper Outfit is my favorite outfit for Klonoa.) But I can understand the disappointment with using the Modern Look over the Classic Look considering this game is suppose to be a remake.

The Visuals if you ask me are pretty colorful and everything looks great, bringing back the cel-shaded look that Klonoa 2 introduced, though admittedly some of the animations during cutscenes do look a bit stiff. Especially the intro when Klonoa discovered the ring and pulled it out of the ground.

The English Voice Acting is for the most part a bit of a mixed bag. While I do think the likes of Huepow, Joka, and a few more other characters sound great in english, Klonoa on the other hand...  :( Yeah, his english voice is pretty hit and miss, and overall I think Klonoa would have benefit from having a more younger-like voice much like his japanese voice, rather than the voice he has now. Not to mention, the direction of his voice isn't exactly all that good either. BUT Hey, The Game has the Japanese Voice as an Option so it's not like you gotta listen to his english voice. Overall, it ain't terrible, but it ain't exactly great either. Other than that though, the rest of the cast sounds pretty fitting for the characters.

If it wasn't for the Original PS1 Version being re-released on the PSN, I would have suggested to stick with the Wii Remake since it's much easier and cheaper to find when compared to the PS1 original which is pretty expensive from what I've seen. :/ And the asking price probably wouldn't exactly sit well with anyone here. But since it's now on PSN, I say go with either version, you're not really burning your wallet if you chose to go for both versions or stick to one, as the game is still fantastic regardless, despite some changes here and there that you may or may not be a fan of.

But damn if only the game didn't bombed in terms of sales, we actually would have gotten a Remake of Klonoa 2 as well, and possibly a Klonoa 3.  :sad_face:

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 07:04:51 am by Klonoa13 »

Offline Derpy Hooves

• Hero in Training
  • Just a lurker
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2017, 09:36:18 am »
I have the psn version so the music with the ps3 in HDMI makes the music sound better.

Offline Consarn

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 1
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 12:43:31 pm »
So, uh. Let's do it.
Wait, no. Here are some things you should know first.

*This is based on my opinion, and my opinion only.
*I don't really hate either version, but I do have complaints about both of them.
*The things I say about the Wii version are based purely on what I've seen other people do, because I don't got no Wii.

Now let's do it.

• The graphics

DtP: The cutscenes look wonderful, probably because of the models and the fact that they didn't use the real-time thing. The rest of the game also looks really good, especially for the PS1. It almost made me cry.

Wiimake: The cutscenes look far worse because of the real-time thing, but the gameplay looks way better. Could do without Longear the Cabbit. But here's a big complaint about the graphics. They're a bit too colorless. The game almost looks dead in comparison to the original.

Comparison (using mostly the first cutscene): DtP starts all bright and colorful (and stays that way, only stopping inside badly lit areas and Cress, where it changes to dark, spacey and overall extremely beautiful), with everything shining on the sun, just as you'd expect from a dream thing, but then the Wiimake is cloudy and dark all the time, and the sky is usually just a gradient or a solid color. Also, DtP's Klonoa looks way more expressive than Longear, and the whole game just looks better with a child instead of a pubescent teenager. Yeah, DtP gets the trophy here, because it's better on the eyes and you're not playing with a manchild.

• The gameplay

The Wiimake wins.

• The writing (also the voices)

DtP: The writing is top notch. It's one of the reasons I feel like the game dictates your feelings. It's like "yo i want you to be sad so go be sad", and it always works, even though the music plays a big part in this. Also, every single voice actor in the game does their job right, especially Klonoa's voice actress. She can express his feelings like none other (use vision 4-2 as an example, because that voice acting was beautiful). Also, yeah, the voices sound like they were recorded with a potato, but I don't mind it. It just adds to the charm for me. Except Seadoph. I can't hear him.

Wiimake (writing): Longear barely says anything other than "right", and Blueball can get annoying when he's speaking for both of them.

Wiimake (English): I really don't like some of the voices in this one. For example, Longear and Blueball the Wisp sound way too much like Sonic and Tails, and Joker the Jester sounds like a nerd. But Ghadius still sounds good. also i never saw granny

Wiimake (Phantomilian): Balue sounds like a psychopath. I love it.

In my opinion, they both tie here, but that's only if you don't count the English version.

• The soundtrack

wait what they both use the same soundtrack why did i make this
uh
yeah uh
it sounds good
they both win
i like how they played it safe on the wiimake
because no one wants their favorite theme ruined
ESPECIALLY UNTAMED HEART AND BALADIUMS DRIVE
and also joka mood

• The SFX

DtP: You can't turn it off, but why would you? The sound effects sound great. It took exactly they didnt get annoying weeks for them to get annoying.

Wiimake: I don't really care about the sound effects here, but they can be bland at times, especially in the Joka fight. The ground thing goes from a nice ol' jingle to a beep. A BEEP. That's just a downgrade for me.

Despite what I just said, I think they tie here as well.

• The nitpicks

DtP: You can have a few deaths from pure idiocy, and I don't like that, but I can't blame it on the game either. The game can also be kinda glitchy at times, like on the cutscene right at the start of vision 5-1, where Pamela flies over the screen twice. I still don't mind that, because it's not a game-breaking glitch or anything.

Wiimake: Renaming. That's something you should never do, unless the original thing was way worse (for example, changing Pokey's name to Porky in the Mother 3 fan translation). So please, don't ever call Huepow "Hewpoe" and Joka "Joker" ever again. But Granny can be Chieftess. That makes more sense.

• The not nitpicks

DtP: NO SERIOUSLY HOW IS THIS GAME SO BEAUTIFUL HOLY HELL AA
also uh
baladium

Wiimake: NO SERIOUSLY HOW IS THIS GAME SO BEAUTIFUL HOLY HELL AA
also uh
please turn the brightness up a bit

• The overalls

DtP: Buy it. Get it now. Now. That's an order. DO IT ITS GREAT

Wiimake: Same for this one, but please turn the brightness up a bit or ten and play the Phantomilian version.

They're both good at one thing and kinda bad at the other. If you want a game that's easy on the eyes and manages to be a few years ahead of its time, buy DtP. If you don't care about the graphics and just want a fun, easy game to play, play the Wiimake. Or wait for that remake some fan's making. I heard it's gonna be good.

And with that, I'll be looking at the Cookie Run forum. I have some business in there. Bye!~  ;)

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2017, 01:27:04 pm »
Yeah I think wiimake suffers from development confusion and changes.

I like both DtP [PS1] & Wii for different reasons.