No one is safe from Dar's pranks every April Fool's Day. >:3

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Klonoa Engine  (Read 24161 times)

Offline radel1996

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 2
  • I'm new here!
Re: Klonoa Engine
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2014, 03:00:55 pm »
Ok thanks  :)

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2014, 03:22:17 pm »
Oh yiiss more testing !
I'm really happy to see this xD

I'll try to make some levels tonight I'm a bit busy atm.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 03:56:46 pm by Daemyn, Reason: neerghfsdfjgjdf hd comp issues »

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2014, 09:30:51 pm »
Klonoa's Jump height is not as high as normal enemies for the companion block as opposed to a normal enemy.
Dunno if that is supposed to be or not. it has been a while since I played a GBA Klonoa.

It will be a bit before I have a full level made since the rules have changed drastically.

Offline S.Z.

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 6
  • This sentence contains a lie.
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2014, 04:59:43 am »
Klonoa's Jump height is not as high as normal enemies for the companion block as opposed to a normal enemy.
Dunno if that is supposed to be or not. it has been a while since I played a GBA Klonoa.

It will be a bit before I have a full level made since the rules have changed drastically.

(Image removed from quote.)

It's because the block becomes a platform and stops the jump when it's not grabbed, I'm not quite done programming everything yet.

Offline S.Z.

• Heart Moo
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2014, 08:55:34 pm »
The next release, will quash a lot of the nasty bugs in the engine, the enemies and objects will also finally behave properly, as far as the map maker allows at the moment. Pattern movement and such functionality is planned but I have to do some additional work to get it working, also there will be a checkbox added so you can play your level vertically for testing purposes, it's a crudely programmed feature, so it won't carry over to the saved file, it will just alter how the level is read by the engine itself when checked. I will also make it so that the engine emulates EoD a lot more accurately, sans minor things like how fluttering works at the moment, I'm quite pleased with how it works right now, other than that, I will only do bug fixes for this program after the release.

So for the main part of this post, after this release, I'm going to split the project into two different stand alone programs.

-Klonoa Studio: The editor part of the program, where you make the levels itself, or rather your whole fangame, there will be a lot of added functionality, but my intention is to make the program as easy to use as possible, so I'm encouraging members that want to make a game but feel that they don't have what it takes to make their own fangame, to be guinea pigs for this project, unlike the editor at the moment, I want it to be intuitive enough so that as many as possible are able to use it to make something, so from the moment that the first version is released, feedback will be absolutely crucial, though it will be built with versatility in mind, so it should be able to do some impressive things too when in capable hands.

-Klonoa Player: The program that actually is able to play your level/finished game, will also be the program that, will load any file that is saved with Klonoa Studio, and execute it in a appropriate manner as long as it's applicable.

If there are some features you really want to see, you should mention it now, if I can take such stuff into consideration early, it will make it easier for me to plan ahead, I might not add them right away or at all, as I have a ton of things that I have already planned, but I still want to hear what you guys would want see in the future.

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2014, 09:08:49 pm »
I'm still working on my 2nd test level for version 0.1 but it makes use of glitch that may or may not need to be fixed xD so I'll try to show that.

If a newer version is out now I'll probably need to remake the level from start to end
I've been busy lately so I have not had much time hopefully by late tonight I can put it up.

I want bosses :O That much I do know I want so far xD and bouncing platforms but I'm sure you had that planned.

If I don't get to post the level in time for a new version here is a gif of a fun little glitch but that may stop working soon anyways xD

Edit: I found out how to make Klonoa become a vertical mag lev train xD
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:25:43 am by Daemyn, Reason: UUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPP!!!! »

Offline S.Z.

• Heart Moo
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2014, 04:57:42 am »
I find the way the companion blocks interact to be quite amusing, the program I'm using can be quite odd when it comes to what is internally called "object scoping", since how it usually handles things is kept very simple, with the downside being that it can be a little confusing to figure out what some code will actually do when you finally run the application, then again I can usually figure out how to force it to do things differently, so it's rarely a problem.

And the second picture, lol, this is why it is important that all collision boxes are properly aligned and the right size, one pixel can make a world of difference.
 :embarassed:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 05:17:44 am by S.Z. »

Offline Rupurudu!

• Breezegale Resident
  • Dreamer Rating: 37
    • Klonoa.org
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2014, 07:03:39 pm »
Good news everyone!
 :D

I figured I'd release the level editor in it's current form, note that I'm not finished coding most enemies, and I'm recycling a lot of the code, so some enemy object behavior can be wonky, enemy projectile collision detection is still handeled quite lazily too, and there are a few quirks in the platforming physics that I'm trying to stamp out, other than that if there are game breaking bugs, I'd like to hear about them.

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/e7b3564d318d109647dfdffd86e59f24

You can change the controls in the File -> Player Menu.

Default Controls:

Space: Jump
Crtl: Wind Bullet

It would great if we found someplace to upload user created levels, as much fun as it is to see the levels you guys have made, I would rather not see this thread filled with them, it would be great if I could give a link to a directory where people upload their levels on the first post of the thread, anyone know a good place to use?
 :unsure:
Let users export their levels as text. (base64) Then you can open another topic for people to post their levels. (or we can open a category for you, if admins are okay with it.)

Also, I own klonoa.org and I can open a subdomain for you, If you need it.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 07:05:34 pm by Rupurudu! »

Offline dummy

• Dumbness Incarnate
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 20
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2014, 11:22:18 pm »
Good news everyone!
 :D

I figured I'd release the level editor in it's current form, note that I'm not finished coding most enemies, and I'm recycling a lot of the code, so some enemy object behavior can be wonky, enemy projectile collision detection is still handeled quite lazily too, and there are a few quirks in the platforming physics that I'm trying to stamp out, other than that if there are game breaking bugs, I'd like to hear about them.

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/e7b3564d318d109647dfdffd86e59f24

You can change the controls in the File -> Player Menu.

Default Controls:

Space: Jump
Crtl: Wind Bullet

It would great if we found someplace to upload user created levels, as much fun as it is to see the levels you guys have made, I would rather not see this thread filled with them, it would be great if I could give a link to a directory where people upload their levels on the first post of the thread, anyone know a good place to use?
 :unsure:
Let users export their levels as text. (base64) Then you can open another topic for people to post their levels. (or we can open a category for you, if admins are okay with it.)

Also, I own klonoa.org and I can open a subdomain for you, If you need it.  ;D
Hey, I already made a Fangame Custom Levels thread, Also, putting it in Klonoa Fangame board has no flaws.

Offline S.Z.

• Heart Moo
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2014, 05:41:22 pm »
Alright, new version is up, I really hope I didn't break anything, some effects are still placeholder things, but now everything works quite well, except Boomie that has no A.I., but then again you can use him to blow up walls, I still need to apply some fixes,  like the fact that that you don't have throwing animation when jumping from a balloon, but meh it has a new code routine so still got some small adjustments to make, but now I can start to work on my fangame, there will be a few minor patches as I'm going to polish the engine while working on the fangame before I'm giving the thing a major overhaul, and a slew of new features.

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/7b19abeaedd1cfaefa35d7f50113bce2

It took a while, but there were a few nasty bugs that could be used to sequence break certain levels, that I needed to fix, and was doing some research, honest:
Very Important Research
 :embarassed: