Everyone needs a little Joka in their lives. <3

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Original or Wii Remake  (Read 9026 times)

Offline Aura24

• Goddess Claire
  • Dreamer Rating: 43
    • DeviantArt
Original or Wii Remake
« on: August 14, 2013, 09:55:25 pm »
Do you guys like the original 2D game, or the Wii remake of the classic?

PS1 -

Wii -

Administrator, Founder, and Fan of Klonoa.
Game channel - https://www.youtube.com/c/CrystalBlazier/

Offline Aria

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 0
Original or Wii Remake
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 05:59:24 am »
I first played the Wii remake, but I prefer the original.

I think the cutscenes were...kinda bad in the Wiimake. Looks like Klonoa always has the same expression...

Offline mushroom32x

• Contributor
  • Dreamer Rating: 48
    • My homepage
Original or Wii Remake
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 12:22:32 pm »
I like the Wii-make but the original is better to me.. but not because the gameplay is bad (it's still fun!) but for aesthetics mainly. It bugs me that most of Klonoa's lines were given to Huepow for some reason? Klonoa was more talkative and animated in the original. (Ex: Lifting his ear up to listen in on what the Jugpot soldier was whispering to himself about in Forlock.) The animations in the game are a little bland too.. but I guess it's because they made the game bilingual therefore the lip-sync had to be made simplistic to match the different languages. Also, there was no way they could replicate the beautiful CG cut scenes with the in-game graphics for Wii. xP

Offline One Ringo

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 0
Original or Wii Remake
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 01:34:12 pm »
I also prefer the original Klonoa compared to the remake, because of the cut scenes and animation, I also think the first one offered more of a challenge due to it being a little bit more difficult.

Offline Spirit Macardi

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 20
Original or Wii Remake
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 10:07:24 pm »
I've said it before, but I do love the remake, despite its flaws.

The cinematography was improved, the graphics were improved, the re-recorded Phantomilian voice track was incredible (Bin Shimada as Joka was GENIUS!), and I thought Klonoa himself looked cuter than ever!

Even Yoshizawa-san said it represented the Phantomile that he wanted to portray originally, but couldn't due to the PS1's limitations.

Offline Vincentmrl

• Crazy Pianist
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 11
  • Moo!
Original or Wii Remake
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 05:07:23 pm »
imo, the original is way better than the remake. I will list what I like of it and don't.
What I like:
•Water effects and levels: They completely improved the levels, especially the water, it's so beautiful. In the levels you can see a lot of things in the background. They did a good job at reinforcing the original 2.5D idea.
•The voices: Jap voices were awesome (DAT GHADIUS) and phantomilian were nice too

What I don't like:
•It looks rushed: the cutscenes have no effects or care given to then at all and every single animation is crappy smooth transitions where I can notice the animation change. I'm not saying smooth transitioning sucks, but the way they used that is bad, it's literally 2 animation frames smoothed: [Arm standing still aiming down] *smooth transition* [Arm doing something else]

•The models: Oh cmon I ripped myself the model from that and it's the same model as Klonoa 2, no improvements or anything. I'm not saying I care about the poly count, since a model isn't good because of polygons, but at least fix things like the ears, they are a separated piece from the head and you can see the intersecting in the game.

•The advertising: Self explanatory

•"Older Klonoa": This is sad. They could've done an awesome model in the style of the first, but instead they just took the model from Klonoa 2 and made a new suit. This is lazyness

These were the reasons. IF ONLY NAMCO was the one doing the remake instead of Paon, this remake would be awesome.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 05:07:48 pm by Vincentmrl »

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
Original or Wii Remake
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 11:25:26 am »
Honestly I think Klonoa looks older in this game than in Klonoa 2, so the remake, while it was great in its own way made it feel sort of awkward.

I just wished they would have added more levels/content

Offline Spirit Macardi

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 20
Original or Wii Remake
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 01:05:38 pm »
Quote from: "Vincentmrl"
•"Older Klonoa": This is sad. They could've done an awesome model in the style of the first, but instead they just took the model from Klonoa 2 and made a new suit. This is lazyness

These were the reasons. IF ONLY NAMCO was the one doing the remake instead of Paon, this remake would be awesome.
Not to refute your opinion, since you're completely entitled to it, but the character model isn't the same as the one from Klonoa 2. This is one of those very technical things, but there's small details that give it away such as a higher polygon count, different mouth design, higher resolution textures, etc.

Also, even though Paon helped to make it, Hideo Yoshizawa and the rest of the former Klonoa Works team were still very involved. The outfit redesign in-particular was a joint decision between Yoshizawa and Arai alone.

Offline Vincentmrl

• Crazy Pianist
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 11
  • Moo!
Original or Wii Remake
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 08:53:50 pm »
Quote from: "Spirit Macardi"
Quote from: "Vincentmrl"

Not to refute your opinion, since you're completely entitled to it, but the character model isn't the same as the one from Klonoa 2. This is one of those very technical things, but there's small details that give it away such as a higher polygon count, different mouth design, higher resolution textures, etc.

Also, even though Paon helped to make it, Hideo Yoshizawa and the rest of the former Klonoa Works team were still very involved. The outfit redesign in-particular was a joint decision between Yoshizawa and Arai alone.
well they're minimal changes because most of the model is the same (especially the Klonoa 2 suit one). I'm sure I can put Klonoa 2 textures over the K2 model and they will fit perfectly.

Offline Thorp

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
Original or Wii Remake
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 03:06:08 pm »
I prefer the original. The art direction is more appealing and the cinematics do the story justice.

Difficulty doesn't really change anything since it's fairly easy.

I do like the wiimake ex visions but I wish there were more, had more types like the gba, and were not hidden within levels (it's a chore get to the portals).

The wiimote was easier to use and more comfortable.

The box art for the wiimake was probably detrimental to sales as it was not appealing older players who judge by cover & graphics