We're partners with the Klonoa for Smash Bros. Facebook page! Be sure to give them a visit!

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Attempts at pulling various bits of data from the game.  (Read 4830 times)

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
Attempts at pulling various bits of data from the game.
« on: June 08, 2014, 03:34:36 am »
I had a strange impulse to try and get some of the original sprites and sfx out.
 :( it didn't go so well but I managed to get this far.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

And a whole scary ton of sfx
with some sub folders for my attempt at fixing them :x
I'm guessing the extraction went awry or namco speed up the original sound on some things like dialog to compress it
https://www.mediafire.com/?1cro2o3or3hjyuh

I was going to try to literally rip the music from the game but nothing works so far. I can't even find it.
I would just have to record it manually if I wanted to do that which will be way later and pretty time consuming.

a lot of the tools I found to try to do this are from the win xp era and older T_T so getting some of them work was not happening.

Ghadius has some epic laughs!
Almost forgot I did get some textures from file.bin on the disc image
https://www.mediafire.com/?z76hqnn5a91a8zz

Thanks to ka64 for giving me the idea to use jPSXdec
I was able to get the video and music https://www.mediafire.com/?x396v4tzjd73zbu

Got the TMD files which supposedly contain the model data but I can't find anything to open them with that works with windows 7 :C
https://www.mediafire.com/?4qswq7rc01112k2

« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 01:36:19 am by Daemyn »

Offline Vincentmrl

• Crazy Pianist
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 11
  • Moo!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 08:25:46 am »
If you need them, there are already quite a bit of sprites extracted from the game here: http://ghadius.tumblr.com/page/3 . It would be nice tho if you could get to extract the 3d models in it, Ghadius and Joka would be nice to have.

Offline mushroom32x

• Contributor
  • Dreamer Rating: 48
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 12:25:01 pm »
To get at all the music in Klonoa I used a program called jPSXdec to scan the game. This program also let's you see and save the pre-rendered cutscene videos too. =)

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 03:48:32 pm »
Many thanks for both of those links!

jPSXdec is a life saver thank you also that tumblr was most hilarious.

I got the video and music https://www.mediafire.com/?x396v4tzjd73zbu
I didn't get around to renaming things yet and had convert the original wav files so that it would not be a big 1GB download.

If you want I can upload the original wav files though.

I can make an attempt to get some 3d models later but I'm not giving my hopes up.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 07:50:12 pm by Daemyn »

Offline NebulaVista

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 14
  • Archivist Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 12:51:34 am »
Nice work. I could never find certain pieces of music when I would search for it on youtube (either that or I wasn't looking hard enough), so this will help.

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 01:38:58 am »
I have no way of knowing what is in these tmd files. But from what I have been reading they contain model data and such it could be just the levels it could be various stage pieces. I'm hopeing everything is in these. The only semi working tmd viewer I could get does not work on windows 7 because it thinks that it cannot go into fullscreen mode.

https://www.mediafire.com/?4qswq7rc01112k2

Offline cows

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 8
Re: Attempts at pulling various bits of data from the game.
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 05:40:53 am »
Unfortunately, as a rule it's a lot harder to rip 3D model data from a PlayStation game than it is to rip textures (and sounds, etc.). The reason for this has a lot to do with the PlayStation hardware itself.

Essentially, the PlayStation is able to draw textured polygons on the screen wherever it's told to via the hardware itself. The reason for this is that it's easier to make a chip that does one specific thing quickly than it is to make a chip that does anything quickly. It also means that game programmers don't have to tell the system how to draw polygons, as it already knows how.

That's also why texture maps on PlayStation get "blocky" when they're stretched, while textures on the Nintendo 64 get "blurry" instead -- the systems do their hardware drawing differently, and for all practical purposes there's no way to tell the hardware to do it differently.

What does this mean for ripping assets from Klonoa? Well, the PlayStation knows how to draw textured polygons, but the game itself needs to place the textures in a specific chunk of memory (VRAM) and in a specific format in order for the hardware to draw them. Thus, if you want to rip a texture map, you can always find it in the VRAM while it's being drawn.

Why doesn't this work for 3D models as well? (note that I'm not an expert on the PlayStation's architecture, so there might be some inaccuracies here) It turns out that the PlayStation only really knows how to draw two dimensional polygons. This seems crazy, but remember that 3D wireframe graphics came long before fully-textured 3D graphics, because it turns out that the "3D" part is actually a lot simpler to do than the "textured polygons" part. That means it's up to the game code itself to do the 3D projection math that determines exactly where the polygon goes on the screen (since it ultimately becomes 2D on the screen anyway).

Since the game code itself is doing the 3D projection math, this means that different games have the option of doing this math differently from each other. Consequently, they also get to store the models themselves in any format they want. There are some known formats that are used in multiple games, and there are lots of tools made for ripping models from specific games, but nothing that works on all games. To my knowledge Klonoa hasn't been extensively reverse-engineered, so I'm not certain whether it stores its models in any "known" format.

In theory it's always possible to start from when a game draws a polygon and "step back" to figure out exactly how it decided to draw that polygon, but this can be very difficult and time consuming. The math needs to take into account a bunch of different things, including position, rotation, and scale of both the models and the camera, in order to figure out what to draw where.

It is of course entirely possible that the .tmd files you've extracted are the models in a known format, but unfortunately it's also possible that Klonoa's version of the format might be slightly (or extremely) different from formats used in other games. I'm going to do a bit of digging to see if I find any useful information.

Also Hi, I'm new.

Offline Fennekin

• Fennekin Lover
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 10
  • Please sit, and let's talk for a while.
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 06:44:54 am »
That was quite an entrance. x_x
Welcome to the Collective!  :D

Offline cows

• Moo
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 07:08:10 am »
That was quite an entrance. x_x
Welcome to the Collective!  :D

Thanks, I do my best. Glad to be here!

Offline cows

• Moo
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 11:30:04 pm »
So I was able to pull out a set of (mostly?) set pieces using this newish (and even more newly open-sourced) program by rickomax https://github.com/rickomax/psxprev.

My guess is that a lot of the geometry in the game (e.g. the ground path) isn't really a "model" but rather assembled on the fly either entirely or out of smaller pieces. Even so, there definitely seems to be a a lot of stuff missing from this set.

PSXPrev also output a bunch of giant nonsense models, which could either be real models that aren't being read properly (due to the format differing slightly from what that program excepts), or it could be chunks of random memory that PSXPrev misidentifies as models because they just happen to start with header that PSXPrev is looking for.

I haven't tried to apply the original textures to any of the models yet, but I'm optimistic that it's possible since the models came out with plausible-looking UV sets.

I'm attaching the .blend that I rendered the preview image from, but I hope to upload one with textures at some point as well. I also may have messed up the UVs, normals, etc. in that file by "cleaning it up" to get it to render nicely, so don't take it as definitive.