No one knows what Rupurudu! really does. It is said he lives in the internet, eating code to keep the server running.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Underappreciated 3DS Games  (Read 3396 times)

Offline SpykeXD

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 0
    • Spyke's Got Writer's Block
Underappreciated 3DS Games
« on: June 13, 2014, 01:02:02 am »
I've had my 3DS since it came out a few years ago and I've been a huge fan of it ever since. I follow news for it closely so I hear about a lot of games for it but there are quite a few that go under my radar now and then. What do you think are some games others may have missed?

I've got a few to choose from but I'm going to go with Jewel Master: Cradle of Rome 2. The few people who have seen this game in the wild have probably ignored it due to thinking it's just another match-3 puzzle game but they'd be missing out. It's actually really fun and requires quite a bit of strategy to play since it's not just about racking up a high score. You have to clear spaces from the board by matching the various tiles and each board is a different shape. Each tile gives you certain resources to use to build things for the city of Rome and other tiles power up a bonus item that can clear a number of tiles away from the board. This game is so unknown that I've found only one review of the 3DS version online and it's from a website I've never heard of.

What about you? What hidden gems have you found?

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
Underappreciated 3DS Games
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 01:38:00 pm »
I don't know. Most of the 3DS games I see go pretty noticed. The ones I don't notice are the ones I don't care about.

Offline Spirit Macardi

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 20
Re: Underappreciated 3DS Games
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 02:08:21 am »
Unchained Blades is a great one. It's only on the eShop, but it has the quality of something you could find at retail. It's a first-person dungeon crawler where you can augment your characters with monsters that you recruit. The cast is great, and it has some top-quality vocal talent like Troy Baker, Yuri Lowenthal, Liam O'Brien, Laura Bailey, Cassandra Lee, and Erin Fitzgerald. It's also got some surprisingly epic boss fights.

Offline SpykeXD

• Wind
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 12:28:14 am »
Unchained Blades is a great one. It's only on the eShop, but it has the quality of something you could find at retail. It's a first-person dungeon crawler where you can augment your characters with monsters that you recruit. The cast is great, and it has some top-quality vocal talent like Troy Baker, Yuri Lowenthal, Liam O'Brien, Laura Bailey, Cassandra Lee, and Erin Fitzgerald. It's also got some surprisingly epic boss fights.

I remember hearing about Unchained Blades back when Nintendo Power was still around. Keep forgetting it's on the eShop. I hear it's a lot like Etrian Odyssey, which seems about right based on the trailer I saw for Unchained Blades.

Speaking of eShop titles, there's a really nice indie platformer on the eShop called Gunman Clive. It's a Mega Man-inspired platformer that has a really nice western theme to it. It's a little short, but it's only 2$ and it's one of the better platformers on the eShop. Interestingly enough, it's actually a port of a mobile game and the 3DS version sold much better than the mobile version.

Offline Spirit Macardi

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 20
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 01:15:17 am »
It's a little more in-depth than Etrian Odyssey, though they are both first-person dungeon crawlers. It's a bit more like Wizardry or Class of Heroes, though with a big focus on story.

Offline SpykeXD

• Wind
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 09:18:41 pm »
Didn't Unchained Blades drop in price? I seem to remember it being about $30 on the eShop but it looks like it's been dropped down to only $20.

Offline Graystripe2000

• Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 29
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 12:25:59 pm »
I would say, Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion. Great game in the series, much better than Disney's Magical Mirror. Unfortunately, no one knows about this game, and if people do know about it, there is a 50/50 chance the person you encounter says it stinks because of slow pacing, stupidly short, and/or too much backtracking. I will admit, the pacing is kinda slow for a 2D Platformer, but still. Great game.
Discord: Graystripe2000 #6860.

Offline SpykeXD

• Wind
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 02:39:16 pm »
I would say, Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion. Great game in the series, much better than Disney's Magical Mirror. Unfortunately, no one knows about this game, and if people do know about it, there is a 50/50 chance the person you encounter says it stinks because of slow pacing, stupidly short, and/or too much backtracking. I will admit, the pacing is kinda slow for a 2D Platformer, but still. Great game.

I had completely forgotten that that game existed until just now :3