Huepow is the real villian in Door to Phantomile.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: What interesting stuff did you do today?  (Read 2548 times)

Offline Cobra!

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 13
  • ’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste
    • My website
Re: What interesting stuff did you do today?
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2024, 08:05:39 am »

Huh. So, HD-DVD was in development before Blu-ray came around. Interesting
So wait, does that mean HD-DVD technically was around first before Blu-ray?
I honestly thought Blu-ray was created first before HD-DVD was created, but maybe not  :unsure:
Seems I'm learning something new
Yeah, the first HD-DVD player came out about half a year before the first Blu-Ray player.

They did know about each-other’s existence before this, though, because they tried to arrange a deal to merge the formats like what happened with DVD, but Sony refused.

But yeah HD-DVD wasn’t created to be better than Blu-Ray, it was created to be better than DVD, like Blu-Ray.

There were some advantages HD-DVD did have over Blu-Ray, though, from what I can gather. It wasn’t as heavily DRM’d as Blu-Ray and it had more interactivity. You could also make double sided discs, one side being HD-DVD and the other being standard DVD.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 08:13:08 am by Cobra! »

Offline kittenwatermemes

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 9
  • Wahoo!
    • Tumblr
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2024, 03:05:44 pm »
Yeah, the first HD-DVD player came out about half a year before the first Blu-Ray player.

They did know about each-other’s existence before this, though, because they tried to arrange a deal to merge the formats like what happened with DVD, but Sony refused.

But yeah HD-DVD wasn’t created to be better than Blu-Ray, it was created to be better than DVD, like Blu-Ray.

There were some advantages HD-DVD did have over Blu-Ray, though, from what I can gather. It wasn’t as heavily DRM’d as Blu-Ray and it had more interactivity. You could also make double sided discs, one side being HD-DVD and the other being standard DVD.

So, HD-DVD basically wanted to be better than DVD, though another format began development around the same time, and Sony refused to work with HD-DVD, and it eventually caused a format war? I'm assuming that's what happened
Awh man. That means there could've been a cool collaboration thing with HD-DVD and Blu-ray, but of course, Sony had to say no.  :(
Huh. HD-DVD wasn't as copy-right protected like Blu-ray is?
Two-sided DVDs? Now that's something
I wonder what it would've been like if HD-DVD was still around today
I'm an special needs person with Autism, ADHD, etc. I'm an artist, I like music, games, and other things. I'm on Tumblr, Youtube, Reddit, and some other things. I also have a rare leukemia genie called ETV6.

My mind rejects the frequency, it's static craziness to me, Is it a solar fever? The TV man's too loud, our plane is sleeping on a cloud, You turn the dial, I'll try and smile
Wahoo!
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline Cobra!

• Hero in Training
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2024, 09:12:57 pm »
I finally got my player and discs. It’s proven very difficult to get it films playing on Linux. So I hooked it up to my Xbox 360 and tried to watch Superman Returns. It’s been hit with laser rot, so it stuttered a bit at the start but was otherwise okay. Didn’t get far enough to see if it was watchable throughout, though.

Offline kittenwatermemes

• Heart Moo
  • Wahoo!
    • Tumblr
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2024, 12:08:10 am »
I finally got my player and discs. It’s proven very difficult to get it films playing on Linux. So I hooked it up to my Xbox 360 and tried to watch Superman Returns. It’s been hit with laser rot, so it stuttered a bit at the start but was otherwise okay. Didn’t get far enough to see if it was watchable throughout, though.

Films are difficult to play on Linux?
I wonder how come it's difficult to get it to work on a Linux computer?
Lazer rot.. Yeah, that's not good

I'm an special needs person with Autism, ADHD, etc. I'm an artist, I like music, games, and other things. I'm on Tumblr, Youtube, Reddit, and some other things. I also have a rare leukemia genie called ETV6.

My mind rejects the frequency, it's static craziness to me, Is it a solar fever? The TV man's too loud, our plane is sleeping on a cloud, You turn the dial, I'll try and smile
Wahoo!

Offline kittenwatermemes

• Heart Moo
  • Wahoo!
    • Tumblr
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2024, 02:08:22 pm »
Scots looks like an interesting language to me
I think it would be somewhat easy to do if I were to search for a 'perfect' learning tool that teaches the language

Well..
So, I do wanna learn Scots, but there's a problem:
There is not that much resources available online that teaches you the language ...either that or I'm not looking hard enough 

There's apparently some university course for it?
And I'm guessing there's some books/cds that teaches it?

No idea  :unsure:

And let's see.. what interesting stuff can I think off
Nothing that interesting has happened as of now, though I did watch some Animaniacs yesterday, if that's interesting?
And as usual, it was very silly  :embarassed: Of course, Yakko and them are always silly so

Wahoo!

Offline Cobra!

• Hero in Training
    • My website
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2024, 10:52:13 pm »
I finally got my copy of WCW Backstage Assault for N64 that I imported from the US, and it turns out to be one of the few N64 releases that won’t work on PAL systems even if you have an adapter. x_x

On a lighter note, I traded in a couple of games to CeX and got $70 in store credit, which I almost immediately used in a few games and accessories I wanted to get. :sick:

Films are difficult to play on Linux?
No, just HD-DVD. I eventually just decided to get my Xbox 360 put and play them through that.
So the other WB film I have (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets) doesn’t seem to be rot at all. From what I’ve seen from it, there was no stuttering or freezing at all. :unsure:

Well..
So, I do wanna learn Scots, but there's a problem:
There is not that much resources available online that teaches you the language ...either that or I'm not looking hard enough 

Do you use Discord? I can PM you an invite to my Discord server which is dedicated to the language?

And let's see.. what interesting stuff can I think off
Nothing that interesting has happened as of now, though I did watch some Animaniacs yesterday, if that's interesting?
And as usual, it was very silly  :embarassed: Of course, Yakko and them are always silly so
I need to watch more Animaniacs.

Offline kittenwatermemes

• Heart Moo
  • Wahoo!
    • Tumblr
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2024, 02:12:57 pm »
I finally got my copy of WCW Backstage Assault for N64 that I imported from the US, and it turns out to be one of the few N64 releases that won’t work on PAL systems even if you have an adapter. x_x

On a lighter note, I traded in a couple of games to CeX and got $70 in store credit, which I almost immediately used in a few games and accessories I wanted to get. :sick:

Hmmm... So let me guess: That game is region-locked?
By the sounds of it, you'll probably need an American N64 to play it
CeX? I've never heard of that store before. It shows it's a game store, and game stores are (usually) pretty cool!

No, just HD-DVD. I eventually just decided to get my Xbox 360 put and play them through that.
So the other WB film I have (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets) doesn’t seem to be rot at all. From what I’ve seen from it, there was no stuttering or freezing at all. :unsure:

Oh, okay. Makes more sense now.
So, Blu-rays and DVDs works just fine on Linux, it's mainly HD-DVDs that doesn't work. Gotcha. 
Wait, so the Superman one had freezing problems, but that one doesn't. 
That leads me to the question: Can HD-DVDs in general suffer from Lazer rot?
Just curious to know  :)

Do you use Discord? I can PM you an invite to my Discord server which is dedicated to the language?

Used to, but nope. I don't use Discord anymore

I need to watch more Animaniacs.

I have an entire DVD set of the Animaniacs which is how I'm able to watch it. I got it last Christmas.
It is a pretty good show. It is certainly worth it
The DVD set also came with Wakkos Wish, which is also a good movie
Highly recommend watching the original series, it is very good, and it has plenty of clever jokes in it  ;)
As of now, I believe I have one disc left until I'm finished with the first season. The first season is great, after all, it does have classic songs like Yakkos World, and Wakkos America

Ooo, and I have something interesting to share!
I got to see the Northern Lights today!
I never really see this kind of stuff, so this was awesome to me!
May not be the greatest, but I was still at least able to see it (Mainly off my phone) which to me is good
This is like a "once in a lifetime" thing to happen in Arkansas
I'm so glad I got to see Northern Lights!

« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 11:48:44 pm by kittenwatermemes, Reason: small additon on interesting thing »

Wahoo!

Offline Cobra!

• Hero in Training
    • My website
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2024, 10:20:08 pm »
I found out there’s an Atari Jaguar game jam taking place until October with a cash prize and publishing deal for the winner!

I’m going to take part. I downloaded an SDK that supports 3D graphics for the system and got it installed. Just playing around with it now and have some ideas for games I could do for this jam. :big_smile:

Hmmm... So let me guess: That game is region-locked?
All Nintendo 64 games are region locked. I have an adapter called the N64 Passport that usually allows me to play games from other regions on my console, but it turns out not all games work with this, and Backstage Assault is one of the ones that don’t.

That leads me to the question: Can HD-DVDs in general suffer from Lazer rot?
All optical media can suffer from laser rot. HD-DVD is just very susceptible to it due to it being rushed to market. Getting HD-DVDs can be a lottery because of this. They are cheap, though!

Ooo, and I have something interesting to share!
I got to see the Northern Lights today!
I never really see this kind of stuff, so this was awesome to me!
May not be the greatest, but I was still at least able to see it (Mainly off my phone) which to me is good
This is like a "once in a lifetime" thing to happen in Arkansas
I'm so glad I got to see Northern Lights!

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
Ah nice! :O

Me, my mum and my little brother all went out to see if we could see them as apparently where we live had a “100%” chance at seeing them, but after nearly an hour of driving from dark spot to dark spot, we found nothing…
« Last Edit: May 11, 2024, 10:30:50 pm by Cobra! »

Offline kittenwatermemes

• Heart Moo
  • Wahoo!
    • Tumblr
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2024, 04:05:57 pm »
I found out there’s an Atari Jaguar game jam taking place until October with a cash prize and publishing deal for the winner!

I’m going to take part. I downloaded an SDK that supports 3D graphics for the system and got it installed. Just playing around with it now and have some ideas for games I could do for this jam. :big_smile:

Ahh, the Atari Jaguar. Wasn't that console considered a failure?
I wonder what making games for that console was like.
I won't enter the contest myself, as I can't do 3D animation, nor do I know how to make a game, and I know nothing about coding.
But I hope it goes well for you!

All Nintendo 64 games are region locked. I have an adapter called the N64 Passport that usually allows me to play games from other regions on my console, but it turns out not all games work with this, and Backstage Assault is one of the ones that don’t.

Huh. So there's a way to bypass region lock, just like how it's possible to do with the Ps2 and all.
If you can't get that one game to work on it, then you may would have to end up getting an American N64.
I've looked that game up, and apparently it wasn't very well received 

All optical media can suffer from laser rot. HD-DVD is just very susceptible to it due to it being rushed to market. Getting HD-DVDs can be a lottery because of this. They are cheap, though!

So.. HD-DVDs can very easily get laser rot?
Hmm.. Now I wonder what the average life span is for HD-DVDs, if it has one
That's interesting. 
I do have some old cds some of which are very very scratched up, the badly scratched up ones still works, though it usually starts giving up at a certain track. Of course I don't think this is is due to laser rot, it's just cause of how scratched up it is. (One of them is so badly scratched up, I'm surprised it still even works)
Wait.. This is probably a very dumb question but: Can Scratches actually affect/damage the laser on the disc?  :confused:

Ah nice! :O

Me, my mum and my little brother all went out to see if we could see them as apparently where we live had a “100%” chance at seeing them, but after nearly an hour of driving from dark spot to dark spot, we found nothing…

Yeah, that Northern Lights moment is something I'm gonna have to cherish forever
I don't think I've ever seen Northern Lights in Arkansas before. I'm still shocked it reached so far to where it was visible in my state.
It is something I never thought I would ever see in this state, and something I don't know if it'll even happen again here. And if it does, it'll be very rare and would probably be a long time til it happens again. Maybe. Of course the weather can be unpredictable sometimes, so you'll never know  :)   
I did hear Europe (and Canada) got it pretty well, though so did America, apparently  :embarassed:
I do know Northern Lights usually appears in Europe, Canada, Alaska, etc.
Awh, it's quite saddening you didn't get to see it.  :(
I'm positive you would've loved seeing it

Wahoo!

Offline Cobra!

• Hero in Training
    • My website
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2024, 09:14:27 pm »
Ahh, the Atari Jaguar. Wasn't that console considered a failure?
I wonder what making games for that console was like.

Well things aren’t off to a great start. Turns out the SDK I got was built on top of the original people got back in the day. It includes the original documentation and they’re pretty bad. They don’t really go into detail about any of the libraries you can use and it even has a dedicated section for bugs and faults with the hardware. They shipped the console knowing there were faults. :sad_face:

Huh. So there's a way to bypass region lock, just like how it's possible to do with the Ps2 and all.
If you can't get that one game to work on it, then you may would have to end up getting an American N64.
Not worth importing a console just to play one game. I’m going to get a repro cartridge with a rom modified to run on PAL machines.

I've looked that game up, and apparently it wasn't very well received 
Yeah, it’s not very well liked, but I enjoy it. I love the jank and some of the arenas.

So.. HD-DVDs can very easily get laser rot?
Hmm.. Now I wonder what the average life span is for HD-DVDs, if it has one
That's interesting. 
I do have some old cds some of which are very very scratched up, the badly scratched up ones still works, though it usually starts giving up at a certain track. Of course I don't think this is is due to laser rot, it's just cause of how scratched up it is. (One of them is so badly scratched up, I'm surprised it still even works)
Wait.. This is probably a very dumb question but: Can Scratches actually affect/damage the laser on the disc?  :confused:
I’ve personally not had that happen to me, though you should get it resurfaced just in case.

Resurfacing is when you put the disc through a machine that carefully sands off the data side of the disc until the scratches are no longer there. I’ve had discs resurfaced before and they end up working much better afterwards! ;D