You can't hate Popka. He's a jerk with a heart of gold.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Klonoa's origins?  (Read 3455 times)

Offline Scroptels Gluzar

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 24
    • Pixiv
Klonoa's origins?
« on: April 22, 2014, 03:02:08 am »
Every fandom has an obsession with knowing everything about the thing or things they love, and especially with knowing about the "Behind the Scenes" of those things. It has been probably a year since I read this article on the "1UP" website called: "Champion of Dreams: An interview with Hideo Yoshisawa" which discusses the Klonoa games as well as the other games that Mr. Yoshizawa has worked on. I'm not aware of how many of you know about this article, but just for leisure I will leave it here to all of you.

Writen interview here.

Also, here is a short video of the japanese-only NES game that Mr. Yoshisawa refers to, it has a little surprise.

So, do any of you know something interesting about the origin of Klonoa?

PS: I know I haven't introduce myself in these forums...yeah, I'm probably not giving a good impression, don't mind me, I'm just a weird boy (I blame homeschooling!)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 01:12:50 am by Scroptels GL »

Offline RollingMeowcat

• An ordinary dreamer
  • Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 19
  • Not a fan of Sonic/Pokemon
Klonoa's origins?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 04:13:28 am »
When Kumiko Watanabe ,Klonoa's voice actor since Lunatea's Veil, saw Klonoa for the first time, her impression was : "He's so cute! I want him! Can I keep him?"

off-topic : Took a look at the review, well...it seems Mr. Yoshisawa isn't interested in developing more Klonoa's games, that's kinda sad.
However, Klonoa and Popka's names have appeared in iOS Ridge Racer. I wonder what does it means? Did Mr. Yoshisawa get involved in that game?

reference : the very old official site, "Klonoa@home" http://www.bandainamcogames.co.jp/cs/list/kloweb/index.html
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 05:14:35 am by RollingMeowcat »
My favorite animes:

More to come

Offline Bitterman

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 5
Klonoa's origins?
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 04:33:06 pm »
Quote from: "RollingMeowcat"
off-topic : Took a look at the review, well...it seems Mr. Yoshisawa isn't interested in developing more Klonoa's games, that's kinda sad.
However, Klonoa and Popka's names have appeared in iOS Ridge Racer. I wonder what does it means? Did Mr. Yoshisawa get involved in that game?
I'd imagine Mr. Yoshisawa was extremely disappointed with the low sales ofthe Wiimake. He was so hyped, he was already thinking of a Klonoa 2 remake. I'd imagine it was quite a blow to him to see it flop as hard as it did. In his shoes I'd be pretty apathetic aswell. Either that, or he didn't say much because something might be up. Hopefully.

There's some interesting tidbits ka64 posted on her wahooklonoa tumblr, they look like early designs for Klonoa, and what eventually became the King of Sorrow and Lolo:
http://wahooklonoa.tumblr.com/post/82759627201/klonoa-door-to-phantomile-guidebook-published-by

Offline Spirit Macardi

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 20
Klonoa's origins?
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 01:42:29 pm »
I'd still argue that the Wiimake's poor sales were due to Namco's usual refusal to advertise it, plus the news of that planned redesign that no doubt turned many fans away. I think Yoshizawa still has that spark within him, he just needs something to ignite it once again.

Offline Vincentmrl

• Crazy Pianist
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 11
  • Moo!
Klonoa's origins?
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 05:35:09 pm »
Quote from: "Spirit Macardi"
I'd still argue that the Wiimake's poor sales were due to Namco's usual refusal to advertise it, plus the news of that planned redesign that no doubt turned many fans away. I think Yoshizawa still has that spark within him, he just needs something to ignite it once again.
Agree, we need a way to make Namco forward our messages to him. There won't be any Klonoa/Popka references in ridge racer slipstream and the webcomic had a purpose too. We know they're trying, we just need to show them the game won't be a commercial failure if they do well.

Offline RollingMeowcat

• An ordinary dreamer
  • Hero
Klonoa's origins?
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 06:21:24 am »
Hmm...aren't we supposed to discuss some interesting facts here?
My favorite animes:

More to come

Offline Scroptels Gluzar

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 24
    • Pixiv
Klonoa's origins?
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 12:33:56 pm »
Ha ha ha! That's what I thought! But you started it! Ha ha ha!

Maybe it isn't a topic of interest or maybe people don't have anything to share. I will say that the Japanese know plenty about Klonoa's origins, as many references appear in the Fan Made Klonoa 3 videos.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 12:44:46 pm by Scroptels GL »

Offline Tails' Fake Rings

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 0
Klonoa's origins?
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 12:45:41 pm »
By origin, do you mean his creation as a character, or his origin in the universe itself?

Offline RollingMeowcat

• An ordinary dreamer
  • Hero
Klonoa's origins?
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 12:52:06 pm »
Quote from: "Scroptels GL"
Ha ha ha! That's what I thought! But you started it! Ha ha ha!

Maybe it isn't a topic of interest or maybe people don't have anything to share.
Meh. I mentioned the Japanese voice actor, Kumiko Watanabe's thoughts on Klonoa. And I didn't realize the others would be more interested in the off-topic parts of my post.

Well, maybe you can check out ka64's wahooklonoa tumblr, she scanned and posted many pictures of the official guide books she bought.

EDIT: When the translation project is completed, I think I can dig something out of the old official website and ka64's scanned pictures.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 01:06:17 pm by RollingMeowcat »
My favorite animes:

More to come