Don't trust flying fish. Especially Karal.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Similarities to other series  (Read 2868 times)

Offline MaskedRazzle

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 0
Similarities to other series
« on: February 22, 2017, 09:04:02 am »
So, anyone here have series that Klonoa reminds them of/shares certain elements with?  :confused:

For me the biggest comparison I could make is the Kirby series.

Both are platformers based around dreams, they start off cute but things usually end up going horribly wrong, and they both tend to be quite short and therefore easy to replay.

(Plus Moos and Waddle Dees are basically the same thing. I mean look at them.)

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
Re: Similarities to other series
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 10:45:24 am »
they do seem a bit similar also despite not playing any kirby games I like the series just from what I have watched

Offline Matiri

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 4
  • Dealing with life one step at a time.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 10:43:09 pm »
I also see some similarities with the Nights games. They both take place in an actual dream world and they both feature an evil version of the main character(Klonoa and Nightmare Klonoa, Nights and Reala).

Offline Meguumin

• Contributor
  • Dreamer Rating: 31
  • Inconsistent lurker
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 04:46:51 pm »
The level formatting in Kirby 64 screams Door to Phantomile :bad_straight_face: Even to the point of the couple of 360 boss stage designs. Maybe the devs at HAL were inspired by that game. Some of the music in '64 is sorta Klonoa-esque as well, but these could easily coincidences.

Anyhoo, it has been stated that Klonoa was primarily inspired by Mario so it wouldn't be too surprising if Kirby also had a part in that.

Offline Fennekin

• Fennekin Lover
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 10
  • Please sit, and let's talk for a while.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 10:08:05 am »
This dood right here.

Both 2.5D games, with 2D character sprites and 3D stages, and both interact with backgrounds and foregrounds. The only difference is, while Klonoa can throw things into the background and foreground, this guy physically goes in them, with parts of the stages taking place there. Neat, huh? :)

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 10:18:20 am »
This dood right here.
(Image removed from quote.)
Both 2.5D games, with 2D character sprites and 3D stages, and both interact with backgrounds and foregrounds. The only difference is, while Klonoa can throw things into the background and foreground, this guy physically goes in them, with parts of the stages taking place there. Neat, huh? :)

I love me some Tomba! Sadly the devs who made the two games are no longer around.

There's another game recently that reminded me of Klonoa, especially the 3D backgrounds with sprites. Also had a problem (at first) with low sales but is a cult classic. Plus just like Klonoa her games are named after her.

Offline SerialDreams

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
  • Huepow! Rupuruduu!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 01:18:03 pm »
I've seen lots and lots of art of Klonoa and Tails hanging out together... probably because of how similar their faces look to eachother.
"Wahii, rupurudu!" = "Okay, let's go!"

Offline Painty

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 6
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 02:50:15 pm »
Oh...Oh...OOOOOOOOOHH. You have NO stinkin' idea how long I've been looking for an opportunity to talk about this. Well... here goes something.

I've noticed that certain themes of the Klonoa series are present within the game "Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance." Not just in the title or the fact that they're both about dreams, of course. They each have their own opening monologue, which, if you put them together a certain way, can result in something beautiful for fans of both series. Just look at how well these fit together!:

"I've been having these weird thoughts lately..."

"It's strange..."

"Sometimes I can't remember my dreams, though I'm sure I saw them."

"Where do those dreams go?"

"There's a forgotten dream."

"Was it a dream I can't remember? Or a dream I won't remember?"

"Have I forgotten the dream? Or has the dream forgotten me?"

"Surely there was a dream..."

"But I remember this one dream, as clearly as if it were reflected in a mirror."

"A scattered dream that's like a far-off memory. A far-off memory that's like a scattered dream."

"I want to line the pieces up."

"Yours, and mine."

Okaaay, not as nicely as I would've hoped. But, stay with me here. There's plenty of evidence that these two worlds are connected... whoops, I forgot that these are supposed to be just similarities, not fanfiction material. Sorry. Now, back on topic. So, if you've played the Klonoa games and Kingdom Hearts DDD, you'll noticed that they both feature colorful, cute creatures that you either fight or use as support. Although, in Klonoa  case, its more like you attack and use as support at the same time, so figures. Also, they both feature Dreams and Nightmares. Now in Klonoa, there are the obvious baddies in the series, but less obviously, there are a couple of "enemies" that stand or float around waiting for you to grab them. There are even some Moos who do so. Those could possibly represent Dreams in the games.

One final similarity in both games happens to occur in one of the final cutscenes in KHDDD (crazy acronym, huh?). In this scene, Sora (not sure you're familiar with the guy, too lazy to explain.) is trapped inside a bubble, experiencing disturbing dreams. Sound familiar?

Oh wait. I forgot there's one more. In the final level of the first Kingdom Hearts game... Kingdom Hearts... there's a part where the floor sparkles wherever Sora walks. Thank you.