All of our moderators have cybernetic implants. They watch over you as you sleep.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Splatoon Beta Testing  (Read 6269 times)

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
Re: Splatoon Beta Testing
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 03:52:36 pm »
Played the first round of testing earlier and had an absolute blast. I kept wanting to play again and again after every match. It was such a surreal feeling to finally be able to play after almost 10 months of just watching videos of it. :) In 2 hours the next one begins.. and I'll be half awake but it'll be worth it.. xP
I hope I get to play against you soon. You must be a worthy opponent!

Offline Thorp

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 04:45:08 pm »
Played again today. Some fun stuff and people were smarter than yesterday; people actually working togheter in numbers. I did come across some legitimate lag shenanigans; players able to kill me or team mates from well beyond the grave or delayed deaths after the fight was over.

Still unsure about spending $60

Offline Chocolat

• Magical Grill
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 8
  • My style is rich, dope, phat in which
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 01:03:36 pm »
Life is meaningless without Splatoon.

Seriously what the hell is this game and why is it so good.
Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her, you are not alone.

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2015, 03:21:37 pm »
Once I disabled the motion controls, it became that much more enjoyable for me. My weapon of choice is the Splatter Charge, I enjoyed splatting roller scrubs with it. :3

Also, if you guys watched the Nintendo Direct, I'll be maining that splatterscope. Aw yeeeah!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 03:34:43 pm by the_darai »

Offline Kaze_no_Klonoa

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 2
  • Something about a door and some place's veil.
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2015, 10:05:08 pm »
From the three sessions I've played of Splatoon, well, it's a really damn good game. Holy ****, I saw gameplay of it and sure, it looked fun, I guess. But when I got it hands-on, holy crap, it's probably the most fun I've had in a shooter since Titanfall. I've previously stated in a bunch of other forums and etc. about how worried I am of Splatoon pretty much landing up in a state like Titanfall: A good game with zero content for you continue playing. With Splatoon coming out with a handful of maps and major features coming in August, I'm not sure if the game can keep me til then, but nonetheless, I'm still getting this when it comes out. Maybe when all of my exams are over.

Also, IGN made a editorial on why "Splatoon would benefit with online voice chat" and it's become the most ridiculous debate/argument/troll/disaster in the comments section. To me, Splatoon just seems to be way too chaotic for communication to really be effective, so while it sucks we don't have something like party chat, you can play just fine with your team without any form of communication.

Glad I got to play it though. If you played with a player named "Klonoa", that was pretty much me.
Owner of MeltingComet: The Brand new Nexus for gaming editorials, reviews, and stupid grammar mistakes.
https://meltingcomet.wordpress.com/

Offline Thorp

• Hero in Training
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2015, 11:00:12 pm »
I agree that voice chat is unnecessary but it would definitely help with teamwork for those who use it benignly. It is a little surprising how easily some teammates seem to know what you're doing and synergize but it would be nice to tell them key information or when you have your invincibility shield ready

Offline mushroom32x

• Contributor
  • Dreamer Rating: 48
    • My homepage
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 01:39:24 am »
The entire time I was playing I would think about how this game doesn't need voice chat. The goal is simple and everyone just sorta goes about their own thing on the map and super jumping to a teammates position is a good way to get right in and help them out if necessary. I didn't complain when they stated it won't be in the game because I honestly don't need it myself.. if people want it they always have Skype and stuff. :P The game is so much fun and I didn't want it to end.. unfortunately an hour can go by really fast. /_\ Oh well, just a few more weeks.. I've made it this far haven't I?

Offline Dish

• Gone with the Wind
  • Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 19
  • Hi! I'm Dish!
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2015, 02:34:48 am »
i missed the testfire and i am incredibly upset.

i'm going to guess it was a lot of fun, but do you guys have any qualms about the game i can ponder about?

Offline Thorp

• Hero in Training
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2015, 01:04:44 pm »
i'm going to guess it was a lot of fun, but do you guys have any qualms about the game i can ponder about?
Ultimately I do not feel Splatoon is worth $60; I think $40. The game really stands out because the gameplay mechanics are new and genuinely unique; painting and squid morphing are great ideas but beyond those Splatoon is not much different than a f2p game. I do have an inkling that f2p knockoffs are just around the corner.

As I've already said my biggest beef is the absence of local multiplayer. Imagine a game, or television series, where everyone needed their own subscription that cost money...your friends don't own the devices so it will cost them $300 + subscription. So your friends can't play or watch on your device and will never; you have nobody to talk strategy with or relate to irl. There's also no easy way to communicate with the people playing/watching online. There is nearly zero social points for Splatoon. I can imagine how quickly the playerbase drops after a month or two because humans love to talk about the stuff that interests them. The media could be really fun but if you can't share it with people then it's going to lose interest fast.

On a positive note Splatoon will have various offline and online game modes which are always nice if you're not interested in multiplayer but again...no local multiplayer for any of the modes except a one on one.

In the short term I can see myself playing Splatoon. However, knowing my gaming habits I can expect to play for at least 40 hours, encounter cheap exploit strategies that spreads like a virus, lag, longer and longer matchmaking lobbies and potentially die of the tediousness of painting maps over and over again. I concede to the notion that painting the map is a great mechanic and players will always feel like they are contributing plus painting areas can be used strategically during combat but it, imo, will eventually just be a choir instead of a fun mechanic to my preferred playstyle (run+gun+support)

Offline Dish

• Gone with the Wind
  • Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 19
  • Hi! I'm Dish!
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 05:37:30 pm »
wait, but the battle dojo is within the realm of local multiplayer, even if it's not fleshed out.