There are several cat-like creatures in series, but one is the best. (Tat, obviously.)

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Why i think Klonoa talks less in Wii remake and more changes  (Read 1197 times)

Offline rapappa the pepper

• Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 16
  • I do want a soulmate.
    • Rapappa The Pepper's Neo Cities
Why i think Klonoa talks less in Wii remake and more changes
« on: February 03, 2024, 02:27:47 pm »
I noticed, and many others that Klonoa talks much less in the Wii-make of Door to Phantomile compared to his Playstation 1 counter-part, although, personally, i don't mind this change, it works the same to me, but a lot of people will take it very personally and wreck all over the game.

Honestly most people that hate this game, i feel like just kinda are trying to have an AVGN mentality, or had a Street Fighter EX3 case, where one reviewer didn't like it, then everyone took that, went with it, always going into it with bad faith, never giving it a chance, and just always looking for what it does wrong.  :tired: You guys probably played very few games to know what truly is baaaaadd.

... But i understand, i too wish it was even closer to the Playstation version but, for what it is, it is fine, and has its own cool identity in some ways...

But i also am trying to think why it was done? I can't say for sure, but i think i know.
And i'm starting to realize by thinking more in-depth what the Wii-make was going for, that is, mostly over-looked.

When i think about it, Klonoa Wii-make probably had a lot of Lunatea's Veil assets for its base during development, and some of it, was carried over, Klonoa's animations seem to be based on Lunatea's Veil, his proportions are lengthier, in a way, more reminiscant of his Lunatea's Veil design. The moos use the Lunatea's Veil design, but it does have new animations, but by that i mean, they look more ball-like, and flat, rather than more tri-dimensional, and, well not really being very spherical and squashed, oh, and of course, the different pupils, and no surrounding triangle on the eyes.

And yeah, a lot could've been carried over, and earlier in development, Wii-make would've have a cel shaded look, it was however, ditched. I believe the cel-shaders for the models, was being done because... Lunatea's Veil had outlines on some models, not all, but some, they however, had normal 3D gourad shading, which, i like! I think if you're doing a 3D game with 3D models, i think trying to make it look 2D isn't very, nice looking? Well, for me at least, but, well why they were going for it, was to evolve the look of it, and also other games from that era that had the outlines, like the GBA games.  :unsure:

Still, it does seem like an evolution of Lunatea's Veil.

And of course, why Klonoa talks less in the Wii-make...

Have y'all noticed how Klonoa is more stoic and talks less in Lunatea's Veil? Usually just getting along really.
This could be because of the "sorrow" concept of Lunatea's Veil, and, well i guess Klonoa is growing up.

Well, Klonoa Wii-make, so far a lot that i said, does seem more Lunatea's Veil, and, well, yeah, and i think with all that, they also tried to adapt the fact that, Klonoa talks less in Lunatea's Veil, and, well, that was brought over to here, usually who seems to have more thoughts and expresses, are other characters, and so was it like this.

This also goes for the new design, they wanted to make Door to Phantomile more closely related to Lunatea's Veil somehow, make it seem more like a direct sequel, afterall, it was planned for a Lunatea's Veil remake for Wii, but disappointing sales, did not let that happen.  :sleeping: But it also could be to make most Lunatea's Veil animations fit nicely, it could be both, really.

A lot of people say that Wii-make looks more washed out, but, they, never complain about how Lunatea's Veil also has a much more washed out color palette, but, honestly, i like both, i don't think either are bad things, and, now that i played Klonoa Wii-make on real hardware, and also Lunatea's Veil, yeah, i think Wii-make does keep the color palettes of the original still intact, it does look all a bit more muted, but, it still follows it regardless, the original Door to Phantomile also had a mostly white-sense to the sun, the grass colors, and much more, it was more colorful of course, but, hey, all of this, is not a problem, for what i can tell, they were just going for, yet again, more Lunatea's Veil adaptions.  :hey: (and also because the year was 2008, but, honestly, compared to other games, this isn't too bad, and games like Grand Theft Auto IV, it actually fits with the story and concept, and city, it is sub-consciously telling you something.)
Is this a forum they forgot, or has the forum forgot them?
Hello, pleased to meet you. Uhhhhh, i guess i like to draw traditionally a lot of Klonoa things, specifically for Whispers of Wind project, i make music for that too! As well as 3D models, not low poly Playstation fashioned tho, i like 90s Virtua Fighter 3 type models, any ways. You can know more about me at my Neo Cities: https://rapthepep.neocities.org/

Offline HaggisD1

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 7
  • Guy with a weird taste
Re: Why i think Klonoa talks less in Wii remake and more changes
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 11:04:29 am »
I think another reason why he talks less,is because the game has voice acting in various languages.

• Hero
  • I do want a soulmate.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2024, 01:39:05 pm »
Perhaps they had the Klonoa's english voice actor in mind, which from what i've heard is some comedian, perhaps they wanted to use him for less time, because, y'know, leaving an actor for more time means more money would be spent on it, and, perhaps this actor, was expensive.
Hello, pleased to meet you. Uhhhhh, i guess i like to draw traditionally a lot of Klonoa things, specifically for Whispers of Wind project, i make music for that too! As well as 3D models, not low poly Playstation fashioned tho, i like 90s Virtua Fighter 3 type models, any ways. You can know more about me at my Neo Cities: https://rapthepep.neocities.org/

Offline Rupurudu!

• Breezegale Resident
  • Dreamer Rating: 37
    • Klonoa.org
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024, 04:40:38 pm »
Honestly, I like when the main characters talk less, it helps you reflect onto the character better. :)

• Hero
  • I do want a soulmate.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024, 05:21:24 pm »
That could be a point too!  :O Like, maybe they wanted to make you feel like you are embarking in an adventure with your Hewpoe.

Offline RAYDEN

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 5
  • Dreams make a wish come true
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2024, 11:50:34 am »
Hmmm, Klonoa in Door to Phantomile already doesn't talk a whole lot, this is to put bigger focus on the gameplay itself and keep a good pacing. I'm not sure how much dialogue was trimmed out for the Wii version, it would be a bit strange to do so. It might have been done to better reflect the context and interpretation of what the writers were aiming for English in the original game.

Even so the English localization of the PS1 game isn't even that bad, in fact it is one of the more readable games that originated from Japan and many other similarly localized games of the era had a lot of translation errors even going into the 2000s.

We'll never forget about All your base are belong to us and Jill sandwich  :big_smile:

It will always puzzle me as to how Namco steers this franchise towards weird places, the gap of time between Klonoa 2 and the Wii remake is nearly identical to Smash Bros Melee and Brawl. You'd think they would have at least entertained the idea of Klonoa 3 for Nintendo's most popular console at the time, also considering that Klonoa 2 at least did sell more than Klonoa 1  :confused:
Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho