We're partners with the Klonoa for Smash Bros. Facebook page! Be sure to give them a visit!

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: The greatest works of music in danger of being forgotten?  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Gyzyn

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 10
The greatest works of music in danger of being forgotten?
« on: July 03, 2014, 02:29:42 pm »
Quite recently, I have come across this article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/classicalmusic/10456344/Queens-official-composer-youngsters-are-ignorant-of-classical-music-because-of-elitist-attitude.html

While I don't agree with the thesis that todays generations ignorance of music is caused by "elitist atittude", I did encounter quite a lot of people like that in classical-loving social circles. My theory is that this terrifying disaster is caused by the dysfunctional public education system. Despite all the technological advancements, we are living in the dark ages of humanistic sciences, when majority of people go as far as denying any importance of classical humane studies. Claiming it's useless to modern society. I'm pretty sure that some people on this forum are well aware of the consequences - the flood of primitive pulp called pop culture, successfully softening the minds of the youth, left by thier parents to be parented by the glowing black box. IT'S SO CONVIENIENT! Just turn it on and you're free to do all the important stuff, like drinking large amounts of alcohol while having all the deep conversations about... sports.

Back on topic though, no one can deny that the statistics of popularity of classical music are worring, to say the least. Actually, it's nothing new really. It has been this way since quite a bit, before I was even born... But I have been avoiding the thought that the greatests masterpieces that I've been lucky to experience could be forgotten. The sheer thought makes me anxious.

What are your thoughts about this article?

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
Re: The greatest works of music in danger of being forgotten?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 03:33:17 pm »
"My theory is that this terrifying disaster is caused by the dysfunctional public education system"
You can say it again and again and again.

I have learned more on my own than I ever learned in school.

As far as Classical music well I'm realllllllly picky and don't like much but I have an addiction to pipe organs thanks to Johann Sebastion Bach which I ran across some of his stuff by accident.

Mostly because I feel like there is a lot of emotion in his work.

Oh fun you got me listening to that again mmmm : )
Ones I paticularly like.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Doesn't sound like the version I have on my computer :C but finding these on youtube aren't easy because of the different kinds of organs.
EVERYONE! should know what this is some way or another xD.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 03:58:41 pm by Daemyn »

Offline Gyzyn

• Hero in Training
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 04:38:15 pm »
I can't say for sure that I learned more on my own than from school, but certainly I learnt a ton of knowledge that should be taught in school. I'm glad I got such a positive response, I was afraid that I'm going to get beaten to death with sticks for that "pop culture pulp". I can already imagine it "You're so closed minded, Miley Cyrus is liek tha most talented artist evur".

I don't really fancy Bach that much, but I have a great appreciation for his legendary work. You said that you think there is a lot of emotion in his work, I think quite the opposite. His works are very organized, mathematical. In fact, I don't think there is any composer in the history that we know of, that ever even came close to the genius of Bach in his structure of the composition. My favorite piece composed by Bach is the same you linked in your post, Toccata and Fugue.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 02:14:47 pm by Gyzyn »

Offline Scroptels Gluzar

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 24
    • Pixiv
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 09:10:08 pm »
Ever wondered why Video Game Music uses so many different genres?

I personally can't help but fall asleep by some of that music, buy I do like some classical songs.

As for your worry of these songs being forgotten, I don't believe they'll ever be thanks to our technological capacity of storing every bit of data, unless you mean something else.

Offline Gyzyn

• Hero in Training
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 07:29:23 am »
You can't help but fall asleep by some of that music? Classical music is very vague, there is a huge difference beetwen Bach and say... Chopin.

As for our technological capacity to store every bit of data, it has already been stored on paper, a medium that won't be destroyed by a bigger solar flare. It doesn't really matter. When the interest to preserve classical music won't be great enough, it will become forgotten.

Offline Bitterman

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 5
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 05:11:36 pm »
I really love classical music, I could listen to it for hours on end. My favorite composers are Howard Hanson, Shoshtakovich and Johann Strauss. On topic though, I always believed that someone's taste in music is mostly determined by their overall mood and mentality rather than just taste, so maybe it's just really because of how society has changed compared to when classical music was popular. Not just the way the industry itself has changed music, for worse, in my opinion.

Anyway I don't think that classical music will be forgotten anytime soon. The internet has preserved far... less worthy things to this day, and a lot of people still listen to these works. At least here, where I live it's still remembered. In fact, to this day we have a radio station that specifically airs classical works.