Klonoa Collective: Where our official ship is Joka x Janga.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Are Video Game Remakes a good thing or a bad thing?  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Randomizer

• Villain in Training
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 33
  • The Regular Army is no more
Are Video Game Remakes a good thing or a bad thing?
« on: March 31, 2016, 04:06:19 am »
So, I wanted to start a discussion whether remakes does improve the old version of the game or does it make it even worse. What are your opinions about this? Let your voice be heard here.

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
Re: Are Video Game Remakes a good thing or a bad thing?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 06:50:00 am »
That is a hard one to answer. one I probably can't answer truly.
With remakes you get a whole ton lot of expectation so it is easy to get let down. On the flip side you also get the potential for adding good new things for said remake and really invigorating the game again.

I couold probably think of other things but i just woke up xD

Offline Tortwag

• Disciple of the Sonic Slash Claw
  • Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 17
  • Crazily self-proclaimed Shell Master
    • Jest'O'Clock
Re: Are Video Game Remakes a good thing or a bad thing?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 10:07:25 am »
I think it highly depends on who does it and especially HOW. A perfect example I'd like to share is the experience I had when playing Pokemon Blue and completing it, and then playing its remake, Fire Red.

To me, Fire Red is the perfect example of a remake well done - not necessarily perfect, but definitely well done. A first reason for that is because the Pokemon Company knew what was in the old versions and brought everything back from it, except with updated graphics, soundtrack, sprites and options - such as little things like the Running Shoes, which make long-distance travel so much more enjoyable than just walking around at a pace so slow that it bores a player quite easily) when you can't use the bicycle.
Then, ASIDE just bringing everything back, they updated certain moves, added new ones along with a brand new Ability system recycled from Ruby and Sapphire, as well as a big subquest after defeating the Champion (who's remastered theme is by the way freakin' amazing, that's one of the reasons why I loved Fire Red with a passion after completing it), and then they even added MORE than 150 Pokemons for us trainers to capture. Heck, they even raised the level of the Elite 4 and Champion after all this just so we could challenge them again, AND added the VS Seeker, which allows a trainer to fight trainers over and over again, AKA gaining more money and EXP than if fighting against countless Wild Pokemons.

So there you go. To me, a remake can be a good thing as long as the original product is respected and shown in the remake, but also if new things are added in conjunction with what was before. A harmony between what used to be and what is available now. I could also give HeartGold and SoulSilver as a great example (it even had the option to play the entire gmae with the 8-bit soundtrack for the pure nostalgic ones).
In any case, my voice on the matter would say that yes, a remake CAN indeed make the original product better, but as I said in the beginning, it really depends on what's in it. Rayman 2 for example had a lot of remakes and ports, and not all of them are great.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 10:11:38 am by Tortwag »
Currently writing a Klonoa-themed fanfiction called Crusaders of Pugiland! Discover it here: https://forums.untamedheart.us/?topic=1462.0

Also started an art topic for said fanfiction, which you can find right here: https://forums.untamedheart.us/?topic=1877.msg26101#msg26101