There are several cat-like creatures in series, but one is the best. (Tat, obviously.)

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: WIP TAS of Empire of Dreams (Update 11/16/15) (On Hold)  (Read 7454 times)

Offline Akagitsune Yukimura

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 7
  • Senpai will never notice you :)
WIP TAS of Empire of Dreams (Update 11/16/15) (On Hold)
« on: August 06, 2015, 12:49:33 am »

PROJECT ON HOLD INDEFINITELY!

Well, it's been awhile, huh? Like 2 and a half months.

Let me be clear, this project is not canceled. I do plan to return to TASing this game at some point but my efforts and motivation towards this project had been decreasing as the months went by and little progress was made. (Also Undertale has taken over my life)

So until I feel like coming back to this, it'll be put on hold indefinitely.

Here's the last update video I posted
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Old updates (very glitchy and I'm too lazy to fix them so I suggest you read through the comments instead)

9/27/2015
[/size]
I've started it again just today and in just about 3 to 4 hours I was able to get the first 2 visions done. Here's the video.(Please note that the video quality is pretty low, this is because I uploaded the raw avi file from the emulator I've been using.)

It's still being worked on, and progress is still gonna be slow, so just bear with me. (This is not an easy thing to do :(  )
[/spoiler]

(Update on 8/11/2015)
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 10:36:26 pm by Dr. Alphys, Reason: Updating »

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
Re: Current work in progress TAS of Empire of Dreams
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 05:05:22 am »
Tas is nuts xD I don't think I can do these but they are fun to watch.
I do like cheating in games though :3

• Heart Moo
Re: Current work in progress TAS of Empire of Dreams (Updated 8/8/2015)
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 01:37:21 pm »
A minor update.

I finished vision 2-1 last night and now currently working on vision 2-2. And boy did I underestimate how complex these can be at times (for TASing at least). 2-1 took me over 8 hours to optimize  :(

Videos will be uploaded once I finish either 2-3 or the entirety of world 2.

EDIT: I actually just finished 2-2!  :big_smile:  Wow, that was way more easy than 2-1. Expect another update in a few hours days  ;D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 09:02:22 pm by Akagitsune Yukimura »

Offline Sable-Xeno

• God in the Machine
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 50
  • The dude.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 07:38:22 am »
I took a look at the first level, and it's...sorta fun to watch, I guess. Obviously it'll become much more interesting to see you clear the later level's puzzles at a breakneck-exciting speed, and Ex. 3 should be tons of fun to watch to completion at that sort of speed...but I can't help but wonder how exciting this really is. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad, but the fun thing about a TAS is using any exploit possible to glitch through the game in just mere hours, with mechanical-like prescision. In games that have the potential for things like wall clipping, skipping certain story events, or simply exploiting the games physics to run faster, that's usually a hoot, though this game is just really built solidly, and I'm not aware of all that many ways to exploit it with the frames, if any. Basically, it just looks like you're playing the game normally...while not stopping, of course.

I'm probably being way too picky about this, especially for someone who only watched the first level of gameplay, though I figure the more challenging spots will look exciting when done in complete succession. Just saying, if you're not going to be rapidly-exploiting glitches that require tight 1-frame timing in quick succesion, it might be easier to just do a regular speedrun. Or maybe it would be harder, but more rewarding? I dunno.

Artwork drawn by Somnax (FA), 5th Gen Pokemon sprite bases made by Pokemon-Diamond (DA).

• Heart Moo
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 03:38:57 pm »
I took a look at the first level, and it's...sorta fun to watch, I guess. Obviously it'll become much more interesting to see you clear the later level's puzzles at a breakneck-exciting speed, and Ex. 3 should be tons of fun to watch to completion at that sort of speed...but I can't help but wonder how exciting this really is. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad, but the fun thing about a TAS is using any exploit possible to glitch through the game in just mere hours, with mechanical-like prescision. In games that have the potential for things like wall clipping, skipping certain story events, or simply exploiting the games physics to run faster, that's usually a hoot, though this game is just really built solidly, and I'm not aware of all that many ways to exploit it with the frames, if any. Basically, it just looks like you're playing the game normally...while not stopping, of course.

I'm probably being way too picky about this, especially for someone who only watched the first level of gameplay, though I figure the more challenging spots will look exciting when done in complete succession. Just saying, if you're not going to be rapidly-exploiting glitches that require tight 1-frame timing in quick succesion, it might be easier to just do a regular speedrun. Or maybe it would be harder, but more rewarding? I dunno.
Believe me, I don't find the rest of the first world to be interesting either in TAS or RTA. I also don't find speedrunning normally that rewarding anymore after doing over 50 speedruns of a 40 to 50 minute game.

And yeah, this game is really hard to break.  :(  The only real trick I found was that I can clip into certain ceilings and do a second jump but it appears to be useless. I might just shelve the project and try a different game that's more exciting to do, like Door to Phantomile.

Though the second world, from what I've done so far, is more interesting to watch but was harder to pull off.

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 06:03:24 pm »
Klonoa 2 Lunatea's Veil with Popka is fun but I don't do speed runs. I did do this messed up rather pointless no dreamstones run but that was with a lotta save states and retrying crazy stuff I can't probably replicate on command.

• Heart Moo
Re: TAS of Empire of Dreams (Update 8/10/15) (PUT ON HOLD!)
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 07:11:47 pm »
Klonoa 2 Lunatea's Veil with Popka is fun but I don't do speed runs. I did do this messed up rather pointless no dreamstones run but that was with a lotta save states and retrying crazy stuff I can't probably replicate on command.
That's pretty much how making a TAS works.  :big_smile:  Only it records your button inputs an not the game itself, which hasn't been perfected on a PS2 emulator yet.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 09:16:40 pm by Akagitsune Yukimura »

• Heart Moo
Re: TAS of Empire of Dreams (Update 9/17/15) (Restarting)
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 08:51:06 pm »

UPDATE (9/17/15)

Okay, so it's been a while since I've updated this topic about the Empire of Dreams TAS I'm doing. So I think now is a good time to bring the project back up.

If you've read the 8/11/2015 update, you might remember hearing me mention that I was planning on restarting the TAS to fix some things in the first world of the game. Well that's what I'm currently doing. Since the last update I've gained more experience in TASing and was able to make the TAS more entertaining to watch (but it's still questionably optimized).

I was able to dig up some new tricks to use after finding a thread on the TASvideos forum about the game. I'll go into more detail about these tricks I found later once I get further into the game. But here's a sample of the description of one of the tricks I use.

I've started it again just today and in just about 3 to 4 hours I was able to get the first 2 visions done. Here's the video.
(Please note that the video quality is pretty low, this is because I uploaded the raw avi file from the emulator I've been using.)

It's still being worked on, and progress is still gonna be slow, so just bear with me. (This is not an easy thing to do :( )

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
Re: TAS of Empire of Dreams (Update 9/17/15) (Restarting)
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 09:16:15 pm »
Ah Congrats on it so far though.

• Heart Moo
Re: TAS of Empire of Dreams (Update 9/27/15) (First world done)
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 09:06:50 pm »
As I was trying to update this topic, a lot of the text started to glitch on me and become really small and I couldn't find a way to fix it, so I had to remove a lot of the old archived text including the original post.  :(

Anyway, as the new title says I just finished the first world of Empire of Dreams for my TAS. I think it's turning out pretty well.

There's definitely some room for improvement but we'll just have to wait and see.