Don't trust flying fish. Especially Karal.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Klonoa Moonlight Museum Remastered Soundtrack  (Read 991 times)

Offline SerialDreams

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
  • Huepow! Rupuruduu!
Klonoa Moonlight Museum Remastered Soundtrack
« on: January 01, 2023, 04:00:19 pm »
After almost a year of both work and procrastination it's finally done. :sleeping:

"Wahii, rupurudu!" = "Okay, let's go!"

Offline rapappa the pepper

• Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 15
  • I do want a soulmate.
    • Rapappa The Pepper's Neo Cities
Re: Klonoa Moonlight Museum Remastered Soundtrack
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 05:19:10 pm »
Oh wow, this is, very well done!

Which, reminds me of one time i was trying to re-make the Moonlight Museum music, but, well my skills weren't that good back then, so, well, good job mate.

On to my review:

In every song, some uses it for its benefit, but, some not, i feel like, they are, way too weightless and ghostly? I mean, it fits for some, like i said, and also for what Moonlight Museum is, but... For something like Quiet Hometown, man it falls flat how weightless it is, and, how the original was, even quite emotional.  :sad_face: Well, maybe it's just a bias for that being one of my all time favorite tracks (along with World 4's).

On the other hand, World 2 sounds amazing with the more ghostly feel, and even better!  :big_smile:

World 3 i feel mixed, it both works, but, again, there is some weight missing for the "tudum" beats that keeps always repeating, but is great too.

World 4 sounds great with the saw waves, generally, it just does have some great sample choices, so, i'm glad my favorite Klonoa song gets some decent treatment, at the same time, the trumpets later on, man it also falls flat to me.

World 5... Well, it works well again the ghostly soundings, at the same time, i wish there was, a bit more weight to it, and could've used more ("crystal" "fantasia" "starly" idk how to call them) samples.

World EX, it's, kinda cursed, the more "bass" role samples are great, but, the main synth is, kinda obnoxious, but is faithful i guess despite being quite obnoxious.

The clear jingle is just simply perfect, has enough weight and crystal sound to it, it's perfect.  :big_smile: ;D

The world outro song is, good enough, i think for the main synth (not the bass segment) it could've sounded less ghostly, and it would've sounded perfect, genuinely, but overall, it's very nice sounding.

The final outro is good, i really like it despite being ghostly, it's, there i say, perfect, a master piece even possibly. The emotion works here like that, it sounds, beautiful... This is my favorite as of now for your remasters.

The credits, i'm not sure what to think of it, i feel like, it, works like this for a credits, so, yeah, it's great, but, at the same time, the main motif that keeps repeating all over, could've sounded less, ghostly, and it would've been perfect, all and all, it's really good.

For the continue, it's perfect, a great rendition of it, genuinely, it's great to hear another rendition of it instead of the DtP one... (pleasure face)

Good night, well, sounds alright, but, i feel like it, doesn't sound very right the samples used here, but, works.

The title screen, I think it works, quite well, but the bounce at the end, well it still sounds chip tuned, the "wahoo" sounds crisp, so, yeah, points for that, the 2nd half after whe "wahoo" is great, it's perfect, but the 1st half, i think could've used other samples...

For the game's intro, well, i feel like again, the emotion, empty, even sad feeling isn't quite here, which, makes me upset not to hear a sad song  :embarassed:, but it works, it's alright i guess.

All and all, great work pal, :smile2: I however think, another revision adressing these could benefit very well, and, i'd say, become even better than the original, and, just, perfect.  :big_smile: But, that is up to you if you want to do that or not.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 05:21:08 pm by rapappa the pepper, Reason: Typing errors fixed. »
Is this a forum they forgot, or has the forum forgot them?
Hello, pleased to meet you. Uhhhhh, i guess i like to draw traditionally a lot of Klonoa things, specifically for Whispers of Wind project, i make music for that too! As well as 3D models, not low poly Playstation fashioned tho, i like 90s Virtua Fighter 3 type models, any ways. You can know more about me at my Neo Cities: https://rapthepep.neocities.org/

Offline Rupurudu!

• Breezegale Resident
  • Dreamer Rating: 37
    • Klonoa.org
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 08:22:55 pm »
Amazing work! ;D

Offline SerialDreams

• Star Member
  • Huepow! Rupuruduu!
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 10:44:29 pm »
Oh wow, this is, very well done!

Which, reminds me of one time i was trying to re-make the Moonlight Museum music, but, well my skills weren't that good back then, so, well, good job mate.

On to my review:

In every song, some uses it for its benefit, but, some not, i feel like, they are, way too weightless and ghostly? I mean, it fits for some, like i said, and also for what Moonlight Museum is, but... For something like Quiet Hometown, man it falls flat how weightless it is, and, how the original was, even quite emotional.  :sad_face: Well, maybe it's just a bias for that being one of my all time favorite tracks (along with World 4's).

On the other hand, World 2 sounds amazing with the more ghostly feel, and even better!  :big_smile:

World 3 i feel mixed, it both works, but, again, there is some weight missing for the "tudum" beats that keeps always repeating, but is great too.

World 4 sounds great with the saw waves, generally, it just does have some great sample choices, so, i'm glad my favorite Klonoa song gets some decent treatment, at the same time, the trumpets later on, man it also falls flat to me.

World 5... Well, it works well again the ghostly soundings, at the same time, i wish there was, a bit more weight to it, and could've used more ("crystal" "fantasia" "starly" idk how to call them) samples.

World EX, it's, kinda cursed, the more "bass" role samples are great, but, the main synth is, kinda obnoxious, but is faithful i guess despite being quite obnoxious.

The clear jingle is just simply perfect, has enough weight and crystal sound to it, it's perfect.  :big_smile: ;D

The world outro song is, good enough, i think for the main synth (not the bass segment) it could've sounded less ghostly, and it would've sounded perfect, genuinely, but overall, it's very nice sounding.

The final outro is good, i really like it despite being ghostly, it's, there i say, perfect, a master piece even possibly. The emotion works here like that, it sounds, beautiful... This is my favorite as of now for your remasters.

The credits, i'm not sure what to think of it, i feel like, it, works like this for a credits, so, yeah, it's great, but, at the same time, the main motif that keeps repeating all over, could've sounded less, ghostly, and it would've been perfect, all and all, it's really good.

For the continue, it's perfect, a great rendition of it, genuinely, it's great to hear another rendition of it instead of the DtP one... (pleasure face)

Good night, well, sounds alright, but, i feel like it, doesn't sound very right the samples used here, but, works.

The title screen, I think it works, quite well, but the bounce at the end, well it still sounds chip tuned, the "wahoo" sounds crisp, so, yeah, points for that, the 2nd half after whe "wahoo" is great, it's perfect, but the 1st half, i think could've used other samples...

For the game's intro, well, i feel like again, the emotion, empty, even sad feeling isn't quite here, which, makes me upset not to hear a sad song  :embarassed:, but it works, it's alright i guess.

All and all, great work pal, :smile2: I however think, another revision adressing these could benefit very well, and, i'd say, become even better than the original, and, just, perfect.  :big_smile: But, that is up to you if you want to do that or not.

Your input is appreciated. :smile2:
In my own opinion, Worlds 3, 5, and EX are by far the weakest.
World 3 feels a bit stuffy and I couldn't find the right instrument for it.
5 has that weird stereo issue where the left and right square waves sound like one center channel at points.
and EX is... yeah, like you said. Cursed.
The idea behind it was to use the same instruments as the Selfish Museum considering that's what was done in the original game, but I'll admit it didn't turn out all that well.

As for the empty feel? It was kind of the point for me.
The original tracks have a rather empty, synthetic feel to them, but perhaps some of these sound too empty.

Also  :embarassed: there's a rather embarrassing error on my part with one of the track names.
In the metadata, "World Clear" is called "Laughing Prison". I guess when I was copy/pasting metadata fields in foobar2000 I overlooked that.

Again, thank you for the feed back.
And it's rather peculiar, the topic of remaking MM (or atleast it's soundtrack).
As this soundtrack was originally meant to be in a fan-remake of MM, I volunteered to be in charge of sound and music.
But the guy who was doing the coding and graphics, named "Pigeom", vanished from the Klonoa Mega Chat server where the project was being done.

No idea where he went, either. :unsure:

• Hero
  • I do want a soulmate.
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 10:56:16 pm »
Huh, what a coincidence, i was doing a Moonlight Museum 3D Re-imagining on GZDoom. Hmmm, y'know, lately i was thinking that would be the direction i'd go back to because, i wasn't so sure on what should i do with it, but, well, like i once said, i'm currently working on other projects, so, yeah, i just made a proof of concept and that's it, but, don't know if i'd go back to work on such ambitious thing, because, everything i do is ambitious basicly and always takes forever... Which, well, i was actually trying to make the music for this very project.

Welcome for the feedback, and, well, i was scared if i was being too mean or something...  :embarassed:
Hello, pleased to meet you. Uhhhhh, i guess i like to draw traditionally a lot of Klonoa things, specifically for Whispers of Wind project, i make music for that too! As well as 3D models, not low poly Playstation fashioned tho, i like 90s Virtua Fighter 3 type models, any ways. You can know more about me at my Neo Cities: https://rapthepep.neocities.org/

Offline SerialDreams

• Star Member
  • Huepow! Rupuruduu!
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2023, 01:21:19 pm »
Huh, what a coincidence, i was doing a Moonlight Museum 3D Re-imagining on GZDoom. Hmmm, y'know, lately i was thinking that would be the direction i'd go back to because, i wasn't so sure on what should i do with it, but, well, like i once said, i'm currently working on other projects, so, yeah, i just made a proof of concept and that's it, but, don't know if i'd go back to work on such ambitious thing, because, everything i do is ambitious basicly and always takes forever... Which, well, i was actually trying to make the music for this very project.

Welcome for the feedback, and, well, i was scared if i was being too mean or something...  :embarassed:

Naw, you're all good!
I mean, criticism might hurt but it's important to have.  :smile2:
Also it's awesome to know there's another classic Doom fan here!  ;)

Heh, I mean, if you think it'd be a good idea, I'd be more than happy to not only fix up these tracks, but also optimize them for .ogg playback loops. I'm fairly well experience in every field when it comes to Doom (except for ZScript and ACS) so maybe we could dust off that project sometime?  :)

• Hero
  • I do want a soulmate.
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2023, 01:32:43 pm »
Well, good to know somebody else who is into this, and, that gets criticism is something good.

Well, yes, maybe we shall revisit and work together whenever i'm free from most projects. Which, well, there are 4 left, 1 of them being the most ambitious, but, it isn't that far from being finished, so, all is well.
Keep in mind, when i say 3D, i literally mean it, i'm, not going for a doomy 3D enviroment with sprites as characters and objects, i wanted to make a GZDoom mod that makes you forget it's a GZDoom mod, besides, i really want to express my 3D animation and modelling capabilities, and also GZDoom modding in general, i have a mod mostly for testing GZDoom's shading, and, well for a year i've been trying to nail it, and, i think at this point i pretty much nailed GZDoom, high-res with PBR materials and 3D.  :smile2:

However, that mod doesn't really have assets from me, it's mostly from VALVe, and the mod it-self isn't even mine.  :embarassed: But don't take that as if i don't know a damn about GZDoom, again, i made a proof of concept, my self, for Klonoa 3D, but, well it sure is bare-bones because, it's again, just proving a concept and nothing else, but, yeah, i think i know enough.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 09:33:51 pm by rapappa the pepper, Reason: Better arranging and re-writing. »

Offline SerialDreams

• Star Member
  • Huepow! Rupuruduu!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2023, 11:06:31 am »
I'll have to finish atleast the shareware version of the level pack I'm working on for Doom 1 first, too.  ;)

By the way, you never mentioned the stage select "The Exhibits" in your review it seems?

• Hero
  • I do want a soulmate.
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2023, 11:31:12 am »
Oops...

Also, i'm remastering and enhancing the, (embarassed) :embarassed: Story of Eastern Wonderland's crappy MIDI soundtrack compared to the FM versions, well, i'm, not really a big fan of Two Hoes (i hate saying the actual series name) but, since we're on the topic, i'll let you know how it's going.

The 1st attachment is my enhancement of the MIDI version.
The 2nd attachment is the original MIDI.
The 3rd attachment is the original FM version, which is where this soundtrack shines at.

Let me know what you think. (i'd say you should listen to them from bottom to top order)