You can't hate Popka. He's a jerk with a heart of gold.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Why is Klonoa: Door to Phantomile so expensive?  (Read 3993 times)

Offline Alexinator

• Cursed
  • Dreamer Rating: -6
Why is Klonoa: Door to Phantomile so expensive?
« on: February 19, 2016, 06:26:52 pm »
I seen PAL AND NA copies for 400 and 700 euro yet the Japanese version is only 20 euro.

Offline Rupurudu!

• Breezegale Resident
  • Dreamer Rating: 37
    • Klonoa.org
Re: Why is Klonoa: Door to Phantomile so expensive?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 06:28:21 pm »
I think Klonoa sold more on Japan.

Offline Questklonoa

• Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 16
  • Tiger-kun
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 06:53:25 pm »
The US/UK version are more rarer, I think, due to low sales outside of Japan.

Offline Thorp

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 11:11:25 am »
Of course reason the original game is so expensive is because it's out of print. Similar to when card games or books are no longer printed they suddenly become valuable collectibles. As for different versions the value is based on scarcity, demand and how well the demographic views the value of the game (different countries buy different types/genres of games thus the demand:value differs country to country).

Scarcity and demand also play a large role. If the seller believes the game is hard to find and is saught by buyers it is logical to increase the price. Furthermore the price can be for some extra cash or to make sure it is sold to the hands of someone who would likely care for it better.

The pricing can also be perspective based; the seller believes viewing or owning the item has personal value. Thusly they would rather see the item than $$ in their pocket. Until that number is reached the physical item is more valuable than the money.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 11:23:07 am by confuted »

Offline Spirit Macardi

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 20
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 01:21:49 pm »
By what I've heard, unsold copies of DtP were removed from store shelves and destroyed, which actually isn't an unheard of thing to do. Add to that the low number of second-hand copies available and you have the ingredients for a rare gem.

Offline Alexinator

• Cursed
  • Dreamer Rating: -6
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 04:21:30 pm »
By what I've heard, unsold copies of DtP were removed from store shelves and destroyed, which actually isn't an unheard of thing to do. Add to that the low number of second-hand copies available and you have the ingredients for a rare gem.

Why were they destroyed?  :confused:

Offline Thorp

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 10:24:20 pm »
product can be destroyed for various reasons. The most common reason is to cut losses of storing the product. Believe it or not every inch on a shelf has value. When an item that is not selling then that space is considered a loss in revenue and advertising space. Furthermore insurance companies do not like to insure product that is not of value thus to reduce insurance premium costs the retailer will destroy product to reduce their insured item quantity.

Another reason to destroy product is to avoid legal complications. This really only pertains to food-grade items with an expiration date and items that are recalled due to faulty manufacturing.

If Klonoa games were truly destroyed I would bet it was to cut losses on storage space; fill the space with product that guarantees revenue and customer appeal
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 10:26:09 pm by confuted »