The Klonoa Wiimake made a fatal mistake in renaming Joka. It better not happen again.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: What Truely Got You Into the Series?  (Read 10868 times)

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
What Truely Got You Into the Series?
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 11:11:46 pm »
What got me into the Klonoa games?

Well I first remember seeing Klonoa 2: Lunatea Veil at a local Super K-Mart when it first came out in 2001, when I was about 16. At first I honestly thought it was a Sonic character, which intrigued me. Later on, my family and I made a trip to the mountains, and we visited a Wal-Mart that way, which had a demo of the game. I played it and fell in love with the game. I went on to find other fansites and groups at that time (which are long gone since then) and found out about the first game. Eventually I ended up finding out about Empire of Dreams as it came out that same year too. Needless to say, I ended up grabbing those games by the end of the year.

Offline YouDontKnowWhoIam

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 15
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 08:14:49 pm »
My story is rather odd.

It was 2012. The worst year of my life, from June and onwards, everything seemed like it was going downhill, I had to do pointless except idea everyday, I kept running into annoying Japanese music videos, I didn't have much fun looking at e3 2012, I had a tragic incident on the last day of school. I felt like life had NO point.

So how does Klonoa fit into all of this? Well, sometime ago, I decided to push myself to get into new franchises that haven't been spoiled to be by sites like YouTube. Klonoa was one of these.

I got my hands on the game (Door to Phantomile) through amazon.com on November 30th 2012 and beat it on Decmber 3rd. (Don't ask how I recorded the exact dates.) After that, 2012 started to get a little better. It's like I was being tortured big time, and Klonoa was the thing that cheered me up, That, and Wreck-it Ralph.

The kicker was that I wouldn't play Lunatea's Veil until A YEAR later. I got K2 in Novemeber 2013 and beat on Novemeber 6th.

So, where do I go from here, you ask?

Well, there is that deep hope that Big K makes it into Super Smash bros for 3DS and Wii U. And of course, there's that "hint" I pointed out not to long ago.

So, where do I go from here?

Please let me know.

Offline Aura24

• Goddess Claire
  • Dreamer Rating: 43
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 11:02:00 pm »
I liked the story of Door to Phantomile, and when I saw that it had a sequel, I immediately want to play it as well as other potential sequels it had.
Administrator, Founder, and Fan of Klonoa.
Game channel - https://www.youtube.com/c/CrystalBlazier/

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 12:44:11 am »
The to the first Klonoa on ps1 specifically the ending...

I started that game as just something very different to play something way out of my usual.

Ohh it seemed like a normal game for the genre till right around the end + the ending it's self.
I was nooot expecting that in what seemed a more kid oriented game.

That ending left me with a bunch of wtf and well I felt quite spiteful I mean hey you just saved phantomile yay oh wait .... your memories were fake oh hey on top of that your gonna get sent back to your "home" now whether your want to or not. Right into a portal that looks like it went to nowhere in particular in my opinion...

The hell did I just play was my reaction.
I actually pitied klonoa that was pretty much just betrayal and other levels of wrong.

Klonoa 2 was a similar experience along with the pretty suspicious darkness the poor guy started off in.
I found the Kingdom Of Sorrow to be genuinely a little creepy those masks/faces  just hanging about in the background and again why is this in a kids game goes my mind hahaha oh wait it's 6 am that helps none.

I've grown to like this series because it involves things I never see even get touched on in games or stories as much these days.

It was a good thing I went out of my usual for once xD.

Offline Rupurudu!

• Breezegale Resident
  • Dreamer Rating: 37
    • Klonoa.org
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 12:43:36 pm »
Klonoa himself. I saw him on some fanart. Then played Door to Phantomille, which is made me into the series.

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 01:16:03 pm »
Quote from: "Rupurudu"
Klonoa himself. I saw him on some fanart. Then played Door to Phantomille, which is made me into the series.
So you saw him first before playing the game eh? Nice.

Offline NebulaVista

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 14
  • Archivist Extraordinaire
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 02:44:36 pm »
There's a number of things.

My first encounter with the series was when I stumbled upon a short review of the game that was featured in Nintendo Power back in 2009 (the Wii remake, as you can guess). The review was positive getting a green "Nintendo Power Recommends" (the ratings went from Green>Yellow>Red). What struck me as odd is when it said that the game had an incredibly sad ending. It only showed the box art and some screenshots of the first level, so I was thinking "What are they talking about, this game looks cute and fun, not sad". I watched a walk through of the first level (still on Wii, I had no idea there were any other games). My brother and I thought it looked good, but we never got the game in the end.

Fast forward to only a few months ago. I was browsing /v/, and stumbled upon a Klonoa thread. I was like, "Oh yeah! This is that game for the Wii that I wanted." Thankfully I went into a thread that somehow managed to stay relatively "clean". The question the OP asked was "How would you describe Klonoa's personality?" Lots of people said "clinically depressed", which reminded me of the sad ending that Nintendo power mentioned years ago. Sadly enough someone vaguely spoiled the ending of the first game, only saying that "It's sad because in his canon, Klonoa doesn't exist". Although people started arguing about how true that was, it got me more interested. I left that thread, and started doing research on the games, where I learned that there was actually quite a few games, and not just the Wii one.

I made two of the biggest mistakes possible, I looked up a video of the ending first, and searched for the English VO as well. After seeing why people hated the English VA (that, and I couldn't find a full play though of the game in English anyways), I watched a walkthough of the Wii game in the original voice acting (and eventually watched the PS1 version of the ending for comparison). I now understood why it was so sad. I got the game on a PS1 emulator for Android (sorry), and learned why people liked the gameplay too. I watched a walk through of the other games (never owned a PS2, and didn't want to pirate the GBA games).

After I read the ShiftyLook comic (a month after they stopped updating), I was finally caught up with the story. Eventually I found another Klonoa thread on /v/, and saw the kind of crap that people posted, and learned from others that this was the kind of crap that you would normally find in a "/v/ Klonoa thread". I wanted to do something about that, I wanted these threads to actually be good for a change. I got my hands on a few translated chapters from the manga, and waited for the next thread. Surprisingly the next thread appeared a day later, and I was able to post it before the thread started going downhill (as shown here).

I found out about this community from the Klonoa Wiki, and saw that people were working on archiving the manga. I thought I might as well contribute, and joined using the pseudonym NebulaVista (You never know what kind of people are on 4chan). After finding a copy of the manga 100% translated, I shared it here to help darai in his efforts.

I've been trying to keep Klonoa threads from going south on /v/, and hanging out here ever since. (Well, as far as the Klonoa community goes. I do lots of other things too.)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 02:56:36 pm by nebulavista »

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 03:02:57 pm »
Downhill off a cliff and a u turn into nopesville...
reading all of that in the link reminded me of the devolution of conversations way back in tech school.
I'm not gonna hark on what people should and shouldn't like or think but I wish people would at lest spare some dignity  though geeze.

"time for some eye bleaching"

I wish people would respect the spirit or feeling of the game more :c

I used to mock games like Klonoa till I got whimsical and played it anyways.

Offline NebulaVista

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 14
  • Archivist Extraordinaire
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 03:15:48 pm »
Quote from: "Daemyn"
Downhill off a cliff and a u turn into nopesville...
reading all of that in the link reminded me of the devolution of conversations way back in tech school.
I'm not gonna hark on what people should and shouldn't like or think but I wish people would at lest spare some dignity  though geeze.

"time for some eye bleaching"

I wish people would respect the spirit or feeling of the game more :c

I used to mock games like Klonoa till I got whimsical and played it anyways.
The sad thing is that they used to be a lot worse. Sometimes, they still are (it really comes down to if you find the thread during the day/evening, or late at night).

For the most part though, ever since I've been dumping the various comics, they've improved quite a bit. I'll try to find an example on the archives.

Edit: I found one. That's probably the thread I've had the most success in.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 03:25:09 pm by nebulavista »

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2014, 03:42:36 pm »
Meh maybe I'll post my thoughts in whatever new thread comes up but I'm not used to 4chan so idk how long it will be before I do.
If you put a link up to a new thread  I'll make attempts to keep things from going downhill.
once I figure out 4chan a little.

I'm up at various times through out night and day.
I don't have comics or anything to really upload aside from what I find in the games themselves:c I do have  774 screenshots from klonoa 2 though.