The Klonoa Wiimake made a fatal mistake in renaming Joka. It better not happen again.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: A guide for running Klonoa 2 on PCSX2 [V0.3]  (Read 22918 times)

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
A guide for running Klonoa 2 on PCSX2 [V0.3]
« on: November 04, 2017, 06:38:39 pm »
Klonoa 2 is difficult to make run on pcsx2 so I'll try to explain how I run it.
This guide will be long and with many pictures.

Not all builds of pcsx2 will run correctly with Klonoa 2. Pcsx2 1.4.0 ~ pcsx2 v1.5.0-dev-2150 do not work with patches. Pcsx2 v1.5.0-dev-2155 onwards will work

First get a working pcsx2 build.
Download Link https://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/index.php?m=dl&rev=v1.5.0-dev-2212-g96b412ebb&platform=windows-x86

Alternative Link https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApvhE5IQccJMgzYNu_385_VxJej3

• Use pcsx2 default settings during install.
  • Make sure you have a pcsx2 bios in the bios folder
  • You need one of these patches for Klonoa 2
    Create these by copying the code contents into a text file in Notepad or Notepad++. Save as file type.pnach
Code: (Klonoa 2 US Old Patch) [Select]
2F56CBC9.pnach
    comment=patches by nachbrenner
    //Skip sceIpuSync
    patch=0,EE,00305b90,word,03e00008

Code: (Klonoa 2 US New Patch) [Select]
2F56CBC9.pnach
   comment=patch by Prafull
   //avoid cave hang at volk city
   patch=1,EE,00305bcc,word,00000000

Code: (Klonoa 2 Europe) [Select]
7EBEEBBD.pnach
    gametitle= Klonoa 2 - Lunatea's Veil [SCES 50354] (E) [7EBEEBBD]
    comment=Patch By CKemu
    //Skips IUP blitz
    patch=0,EE,003078F4,word,00000000

Code: (Klonoa 2 Japan) [Select]
1645DE53.pnach
    comment=Patch by Shadow Lady
    //For hang in Volk City
    //Skip sceIpuSync
    patch=0,EE,003047D0,word,03e00008

• Alternatively download you can download these
https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApvhE5IQccJMgzUJ9t875A6WL73I

• Copy your .pnach to the cheats folder. Make sure cheats is checked/enabled

• Obtain a Klonoa 2 .iso or boot the game from a PC dvd drive
    Go to System/Boot ISO (Full)
    If using a DVD directly then switch to plugin. Select the appropriate drive letter.
Game fixes
  • Sound
    You need to change SPU2-X to async audio 3 milliseconds after the Namco screen change async audio to 16 milliseconds

• Reflections
    Go to Config/Emulation settings > VUs > uncheck preset > set clamping mode to [Extra+Perserve Sign]
  • Misplaced objects
    Go to Config/Emulation settings > EE/IOP > set EE/FPU Advanced Recompiler Options > Nearest
Quick video of the setup

Thank you for your patience in reading this guide.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 01:11:21 am by Vokadae, Reason: Thank you thing »

Offline FireBird-

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 2
Re: A guide for running Klonoa 2 on PCSX2 [V0.3]
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 01:52:22 am »
I have a feeling I will need this when I get a new computer. I hope not, but thank you so much! :D

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 02:13:10 am »
No Problem  :D

Offline Elrontur

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 0
  • Loves to purr and meow.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 08:48:25 am »
I-I'm a little confused...

So, PCSX2 v1.5.0-dev-1706 is not working with it?
I was running it when you last pointed out to use dev builds... quite a while ago.
I do have the patches.

Should I switch to the newest version? :unsure:
Your little kitty~ ^-^

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 09:48:15 am »
Yeah. There is a small chance it may work but if I remember correctly it won't load the IPU patch that keeps Volk city from crashing. You may not even get past Joilant fun house door.

A lot of the crashes are caused by the fire effects in game which are ran off of the PS2's IPU partly.

I don't know a whole lot about how or why but I do know that the patches started working again as soon as they changed vsync behavior probably on the emulated graphics synthesizer in one of the more recent builds.

On a real ps2 Klonoa 2 will reset the video display mode "I'm guessing to clear VRAM and make room for the next set of textures for the next vision/level chunk during certain stage changes. It crashes during these when loading those flames which interacts with the emulated ps2's IPU some way.

That is about all I know about it right now from a lot of observation.

Offline FireBird-

• Wind
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 09:06:06 pm »
I know it's an old thread, but I've never forgotten about it in anticipation of setting up Klonoa 2 on a new, better computer. Now that I could afford a new one I want to show my appreciation - I followed those steps and it works really well! Some character models during specific visions have weird flickering colours, though. If there are any tips on how to correct that I would be even more thankful.

Thank you very much, Voka.  :)

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 01:44:18 am »
Ahh no problem :D
Reducing the emotion engine cyclerate/ clock speed can stop some of the flickering textures like in the Joilant opening but it is not able to remove them all I think.
Also this build of pcsx2 recently worked with Klonoa 2's IPU patch "pcsx2-v1.5.0-dev-2887-gfa4ae7800"
However I am having some sound issues no matter what I do. Idk if it is my sound driver or something else.Edit: it seems to have been my sound driver. Also version pcsx2-v1.5.0-dev-2964 and some other 2900's don't work with the patch so it's a mess x_X just use 2887 lol
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 09:28:28 pm by Voka~Daemyn »

Offline FireBird-

• Wind
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 02:55:27 am »
Aah, I see, sorry for the late reply. I used 1.5.0-dev-2212, the one linked in the thread. I don't know how to change  emotion engine cyclerate/ clock speed, I should look it up next time I decide to play, which might be in quite a while.

What's that patch, by the way? Was it included in the tutorial?  Also do you suppose there's an ultimate, perfect way to run the game? Such as smooth anti-aliasing like in those HD screenshots you shared some time ago.

And I get zero audio issues, it's all nice and crisp, though it's annoying to change the audio async before and a after Namco's logo, lol.

Sorry for all the questions and thank you for the reply :)

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 06:37:38 am »
The patch is now part of the emulator. They have since added it in with the default patches.
EE speed you can change here. Also turning on MTVU "Multi Threaded Micro VU-1 Should also help speed up the emulator some.

My own Audio is still hit or miss.

As for an ultimate perfect way to run the game.... I wish reallllly hard I had one :screaming: . I've been trying at it on and off for a couple years.

To get those crazy smooth screenshots I have to set the gpu plugin to really high resolution settings and then push my gpu to death while trying to keep it from overheating.

If I had an ideal machine for this. even if I had to just rent it for a while. A fully overclocked Intel I9 9600K or higher because pcsx2 only uses like 3 threads Or wait on AMD Ryzen 2 cpus. And a 2080Ti which costs as much as a freaking car.
If money were not an object or I .. knew some.. people. a Titan RTX would be absolute best in theory. Both of these have a video encoder that can record 8k30 in at least h265 HVEC and I want to make 8K Klonoa videos.

so for me GPU is more important :>

My old Phenom II x720 was able to run Klonoa 2 just fine so cpu for me and this game is secondary.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 06:40:17 am by Voka~Daemyn »

Offline FireBird-

• Wind
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 11:13:35 pm »
Hehe, looks like it'll take some more years until those crazy good GPUs become affordable. :embarassed: That's interesting, learning this stuff is fun. 

Now, which pcsx2 version has the patch, "pcsx2-v1.5.0-dev-2887-gfa4ae7800" ? Sorry, I didn't get that.

As for my specs, I have 16GB RAM, my CPU is an i5 9600k, and GTX 1070 for GPU. My monitor's res is 1080p, would upping the game's resolution help image quality? At 1920x1080 it ran smoothly at constant 60 FPS, but I had to change it to 50 in Volk and Dark Sea of Tears because it freezes when I enter areas with fire effects (I guess), running the EU version of the game and BIOS. Does the game version and BIOS even matter?

If it helps to troubleshoot the flickering issues I was having, it was mostly in Momett's Chamber o' Fun and Joilant, which is funny cause my crappy laptop ran it fine on v1.0.0, and the sewer water in Volk. And some fire effects are missing for some reason.

These are the video settings I used in  "1.5.0-dev-2212", if its of relevance:

And these were my emu settings:

If I've not bothered enough, do you think the settings you recommended will work for my specs or should I tweak them in the pcsx2 version you were talking about?

Thanks again, Voka. I sincerely appreciate the help!