Admins here are usually hiding in the shadows. We hate bright light.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Poll

Would you rather lolo stay clumsy or become a more competent person?

Stay clumsy
5 (22.7%)
Become competent
17 (77.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Lolo  (Read 3536 times)

Offline Infinite

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 0
Lolo
« on: August 25, 2018, 04:34:25 am »
A problem I have with lolo’s character is how much they play up her clumsyness. What I mean is that’s all they seem to have done with her after Lunatea’s veil. Dream champ tournament: Competes In the tournament offscreen and all we is her getting kidnapped all so she can be bait. Klonoa heroes: She ends up getting kidnapped AGAIN and basically becomes one of the main drives for the plot. How did this happen? Simply because she tripped and fell in the water. The game even says that garlen can use ANY priestess to complete his plan. But because according to joker she’s the slowest and easiest to catch aka CLUMSYNESS. I think back to Lunatea’s veil and while she didn’t do much there aside from fuel the ring. Her clumsyness was just her little side quirk. Usually as a gag or comic relief. The whole point of the ending was that even if she didn’t succeed. She’d keep trying until she got it. She became a character you WANTED to see succeed and progress. So the fact that the games she showed up in afterwards did nothing to evolve her is a little bit annoying. It’s part of the reason I want klonoa to come back. So that way we might see characters like lolo evolve. Does anyone else have a preference? Would you rather see her evolve or just stay a clumsy girl? :)

Offline mnstrmthd

• Cursed
  • Dreamer Rating: 32
  • inactive
Re: Lolo
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 10:42:54 am »
Why not both? She can become more confident and self-assured and still be a little clumsy sometimes. The main reason the later games didn't expand on that was probably just because they were spin-offs, though Heroes could've done a little more with her.
I think a balance of her coming into her own, but still being clumsy for occasional levity would be best.

(Also, can you source the artwork you posted, please)

Offline A Mira-Miran

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 2
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 11:48:33 am »
I never played any of the Klonoa games after 1 and 2, so I can't really say. Although I do like this concept sketch made by darkspeeds on DeviantArt detailing what Lolo could be like in a potential sequel.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Kinda split on the idea of her leaving the preisthood, but either way, I like the idea of her coming into her own and being much more proactive.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 11:50:04 am by A Mira-Miran »

Offline Infinite

• Heart Moo
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 12:37:58 pm »

Offline Infinite

• Heart Moo
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 12:40:33 pm »

Offline A Mira-Miran

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 2
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 02:18:37 pm »
Really dig their art style.

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 07:21:11 pm »
I lean towards expecting to eventually see her becoming far more competent while still having a very casual laid back clumsy side too when not in serious situations.

I can also imagine her eventually becoming the next high priestess some day.
She went as far letting go of her own title at the end of Klonoa 2. I think she absolutely has the willpower to gain priestess title/rank on her own. Especially because she has the will to start over again and do it right, Which actually takes a lot of inner strength in my opinion.

Woops went on a tangent. Anyways yeah Lolo will likely always be Lolo but I can see Lolo becoming quite strong too.

Offline Meguumin

• Contributor
  • Dreamer Rating: 31
  • Inconsistent lurker
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 01:03:27 am »
Why not both? She can become more confident and self-assured and still be a little clumsy sometimes. The main reason the later games didn't expand on that was probably just because they were spin-offs, though Heroes could've done a little more with her.
I think a balance of her coming into her own, but still being clumsy for occasional levity would be best.

(Also, can you source the artwork you posted, please)

Exactly this. I'm putting bets on that Ariga, Rob, and whoever else's working on the movie's writing are going to balance out her pros and cons as such (THAT IS if she's even in it). The spinoffs were aimed at a much younger audience plus had different writing teams, so hamming up her clumsiness was an easy way out of going deep like Lunatea's Veil had. It fit with the GBA games' more generic storytelling anyway.

Offline Mobotropolis

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 18
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 02:05:59 am »
+1 for Why Not Both

I think Lolo's treatment in the games is a product of the era that the games were released in. In the 90s and early 2000s it was common for the Hero to have a damsel to save. It was Peach. It was Amy. Crash had one. Spyro had one. DK had one. Kirby of all wholesome things had one. And for Klonoa it seemed to be Lolo as the series progressed. Lolo's latest outing in the Noticis Sol comic seemed to be aiming to make her more of a character that can stand on her own. I'd guess/hope that the movie will do more to modernize her character.

I have more hope they'll do her than Guntz right, at least. /shrug

Now, let me see if I can find my Notes.

Yep. I see Lolo's relationship with the High Priestess to be a parrael to Twilight Sparkle and Princess Celestia. Leorina was Sunset Shimmer in that dynamic.

I was working with a collab with some people that fell apart. Going to only get into Lolo's role in this.

There, I suggested that Lolo's clumsiness was a physical disability. Her righting mechanism similar to a cat's was damaged when she was young and she literally cannot maintain balance. After the people of Lunatea are forced into a corner by their Divine World allies (long story) Lolo becomes the Grandmaster of the Divine World Egg Army. The Big Bads decide to make her more useful by correcting her physical limitation with a cybernetic prosthetic. This and the promise that she can become even more "useful" seemingly win her loyalty, but in truth is a double agent leaking information to our Heroes. Once her righting is fixed Lolo proves to be extremely agile, like a cat, and is better able to hone her spiritual power. Ultimately, Lolo loses the fix at the end of the adventure when her body is purified so she can re-enter Outer Heaven. Next time we see it we learn that she has trained hard to incorporate her limitations into her fighting style which is inspired by martial arts drunken stance.

Sometime later I started working on a Character Bible for the hypothetical series; Klonoa and the Dream Team.

The one shots I wrote a while ago were based off the Character Bible.

I have a draft of Lolo's story. Lolo decides to become a Priestess after witnessing a Priestess use her power to save one of her friends. Naturally, she has a lot of shortcomings which the other priestesses dog her about once she arrives at the Sky Temple. High Priestess Claire, who is still mourning the loss of her former student Leorina, is reluctant to take on another student and possibly drive them away. Lolo's determination in the face of her fellow priestesses catches the High Priestess' attention, however, and she suspects that Lolo is an incarnation of the Goddess of Persistence.

When she regains her title she is known as Lolo the Persistent.

If Klonoa is the Heart of the Team then Lolo is the Soul. What is the difference? Klonoa encourages his friends who are quite different from one another to get along and love each other. Lolo encourages her friends who are different from one another to love themselves. Loving yourself helps draw out your inner strength. Lolo shows understanding of this concept by allowing her inner strength to manifest as physical spiritual power that she uses to assist her friends. At first, she uses this power similar to the Web Comic to power up her friends and their weapons. As things progress and she becomes more comfortable/confident she uses them to hold her own.

Lolo's clumsiness never goes away. It is a character trait for her. Over time, she and her friends learn to anticipate and work around her limitations. Flying and Spiritual Projection in particular help by keeping her off her feet and allowing her to phase through objects that would otherwise harm her. As she comes into her powers as The Persistent, she continues to fudge things up -- only to immediately rectify the problem.

It becomes less "Aw, feel sorry for me" or "Aw, save me" and more "Aw, I messed up. Here's how I fix it"

Shortlist of Lolo's Powers:

Dream Streaming - Like all of Klonoa's friends Lolo has the ability to travel across Phantomiles.
Flight - Lolo has mastery of controlling her spiritual energy which allows her to push it under her to fly. Shares this ability with Popka and Huepow.
Wind Bullet - Lolo can attack with a burst of spiritual energy. Shares this ability with Klonoa (who's bullet is weakest) and Huepow (who's bullet is strongest).
Energy Shields - Lolo can protect herself and others by generating an energy shield. This is taxing, however, so she can only keep it up for short periods of time.
Spiritual Boost - Lolo's signature ability. She can 'manifest' in weapons and other Lunateans to significantly increase their power. In time, she uses this on herself.
Spiritual Projection - Lolo can transform her physical body into a spiritual form that allows her to pass through some solid objects. Shares this ability with Huepow.

Offline Infinite

• Heart Moo
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 02:28:14 am »
Uhhh.... Well I wasn’t expecting to get an essay as a response. Also. I’m pretty sure there’s no real correlation in those characters having to save damsels. It’s a common Narrative in general storytelling. I was more so referring to her clumsyness. :(