Moos are watching you ◉ω◉

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Lemme Tell You About Homestuck.  (Read 4469 times)

Offline Sable-Xeno

• God in the Machine
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 50
  • The dude.
Lemme Tell You About Homestuck.
« on: August 20, 2015, 11:41:15 am »
Now, I don't think I have to explain this for a fair number of people here (although I am aware the whole thing is considered quite divisive here), but basically it's a webcomic about a kid called John Egbert who gets in the mail a beta for a game called SBurb, and...well, I'm not saying anymore about it because spoilers, but I will say it's loooooong...and that yes, it indeed does get better after Act I.

Now, I'm not making this topic in the interest of bringing anyone into Homestuck, or introducing them to it. Most people here have been exposed to it, and either love it, hate it, worship it, or burn it at the stake, and- I do mean this when I say it- HOMESTUCK WILL RUIN YOUR LIFE. Anyone planning to read it had better plan to either make tons of room in their busy schedule for the next several months (or years), or do what I did and cut off all social interaction/business schedules for a week or so, and even then you'll probably need time after that to do other stuff relating to Homestuck. It's like TVTropes, but with less risk of a Wiki Walk. And a more comprehensible plo- okay, maybe not "comprehensible". Let's just call it "a plot".

Rather, this topic is merely here for discussion amongst those that have read the webcomic, an "interminglance of opinions", and all that, or basically SOMETHIING to do while we wait for the comic to undergo its final Acts sometime next year or so...what with the whole Omegapause thing going on right now. I dunno, it's late, and I'm bored.

If you haven't read it yet (and you truly have nothing else to live for), here ya go: http://www.mspaintadventures.com

Artwork drawn by Somnax (FA), 5th Gen Pokemon sprite bases made by Pokemon-Diamond (DA).

Offline Artsy

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 18
Re: Lemme Tell You About Homestuck.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 04:37:44 pm »
I started reading it winter 2012 and it took me until winter of 2013 to catch up. :big_smile:

Currently though this year I was exposed to so much hate for it that I started trying to force myself to lose interest :( But then I kept going and kept reading until I got to the July 27th update about a week ago (I had around a month of updates to catch up on) and with "S Terezi Remem8er" I think I fell in love with the whole comic all over again in the span of 4 minutes and 13 30 seconds <3

Offline Meguumin

• Contributor
  • Dreamer Rating: 31
  • Inconsistent lurker
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 04:55:06 pm »
I used to be super into Homestuck back in 2011, but after a few months or so I lost interest :U

I did see Hussie at a local con a couple years ago though. Was pretty cool.

Offline CacmanZero

• Moo
  • Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 56
  • Moo's Dreams
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 05:04:51 pm »
Homestuck Andrew Hussie I should understand somethings.

Offline Akagitsune Yukimura

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 7
  • Senpai will never notice you :)
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 01:55:54 pm »

I don't have a real, strong opinion towards Homestuck or its rather loud fanbase. I just never found it that interesting to read and trying to keep up with it feels like a waste of my time. My reason why I feel that way can be summed up partially with what Sable said in the original post.
...it indeed does get better after Act I.
First impressions mean a lot to me when it comes to literature (even in comics). So if a story starts out really slow, boring, and/or bad it would be really hard for me to want to continue reading, or watching if it's a movie, TV show, or any other visual medium.

If you like Homestuck, that's fine, more power to you, but I can't push myself to read it when the first act isn't all that great. And no amount of candy corn like horns, 1337 speak, obscure references to the comic, or fan-art that is way better than the comic can get me to read it.

One good thing I can say about it though is this (which could possibly spoil the story).
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline Artsy

• Hero in Training
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 04:23:04 pm »
Why does everyone talk about how much they hate Act 1/ how boring Act 1 was? I never found it that way at all, it was quirky and just slow enough to keep me from being too overwhelmed with information/ new elements in the comic... Yet everyone hates it??

Offline Meguumin

• Contributor
  • Dreamer Rating: 31
  • Inconsistent lurker
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 04:33:05 pm »
Why does everyone talk about how much they hate Act 1/ how boring Act 1 was? I never found it that way at all, it was quirky and just slow enough to keep me from being too overwhelmed with information/ new elements in the comic... Yet everyone hates it??

There's a ton of people who can't stand a chapter/act being that long, lol. You almost never see a piece go out that much.

Btw I hope Hussie gets the moolah back to get that game in the works again. That was the only Homestuck-related thing I was really looking forward to.

Offline bemuzzled

• *furry flomp*
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 9
  • Hill Top Zone
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 05:50:12 pm »
I'm sorry but I find the writing for Homestuck to be absolutely dreadful.  I think it tries so hard with all the references and memes it throws into the mix.  I personally find RubyQuest/NanQuest/DiveQuest and Prequel Adventure to be much much better alternatives.

Offline mnstrmthd

• Cursed
  • Dreamer Rating: 32
  • inactive
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 06:01:27 pm »
I can't believe I'm posting on this thread. I do like Homestuck. I can't stand 99.99% of the fanbase <__>
I'm not as into it as when I was younger, now I just stick around for a choice few character threads more than anything. The overall story-writing is suuuuper hit-or-miss but I think the individual character writing and interactions are genuinely really good, especially recently. 

The first 3 acts are very slow and hard to get through, but I saw (S) Cascade before anything else and that hooked me enough to get me through those boring first acts. I have a lot of qualms about where the story has gone but I'm interested to see how it ends, I guess. It's so close to being over at this point I don't see the point for me in giving up on it now. Might as well read that last 1% whenever it gets posted.

Also
Btw I hope Hussie gets the moolah back to get that game in the works again. That was the only Homestuck-related thing I was really looking forward to.
That's been in the works for a while? It's very much still being worked on. I'm looking forward to it and I'm really glad it isn't tied to the comic's story or characters in any way.

Offline Artsy

• Hero in Training
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 06:24:48 pm »
There's a ton of people who can't stand a chapter/act being that long, lol. You almost never see a piece go out that much.

I understand an act being long, but act 1 was amongst the shortest of them all...

personally I think Calliborn was really where it started to get boring, but that's my own opinion. Even so, I feel like the hate for the beginning is a little bandwagon-ish (and the bandwagon effect is unfortunately something we see a lot in this fandom :sad_face: ). A lot of people seemed to really only care about it once the trolls were involved (Ironically it seems that a lot of fans are favoring the human characters currently, though)