We're partners with the Klonoa for Smash Bros. Facebook page! Be sure to give them a visit!

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Potential sprite remaster project? + Greetings  (Read 1817 times)

Offline ijustwanttolookatspoilers

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 0
Potential sprite remaster project? + Greetings
« on: December 06, 2018, 02:16:32 pm »
Hello all. As my username suggests, my original intention with this account was to simply lurk around so I could open spoilers. I've been a very large fan of Klonoa for a long time, and love to see news and content about him. But I'm also not a very social person...  However. After giving it some thought, last night I started working on something that I believe a community such as this would be quite interested in. See, on top of being a fan of Klonoa I am also a (very) beginning game developer and sprite artist. So, in order to test the waters, so to speak. I decided that I wanted to at the very least go through and remaster the sprites of my favorite game in the series, empire of dreams.

I started work on it last night, as noted. My plan at the moment is to go through and take each sprite and in this order resize them to fit a 64x64 format, clean up the imperfections left by the resizing, and add more details through better shading and color choice in order to retain the original look and feel while also making the sprites look much nicer. At the moment I've only gotten through cleaning up the edges of the left/right run sprites, but I'm hoping to have more of Klonoa's sprite done soon enough.

Something to note however: I'm not sure I'll ever finish this. I'd like to but there are some things that could easily halt any progress. I'm hoping none of that happens but until them i'll post whatever I do get through. (supposing I've got attachments right. Otherwise I'll need to go through and edit the post once i've got a suitable image hosting place and that's a lot of work) Regardless of what happens I hope you enjoy.

(p.s. I did attachments right. the resized and partially fixed sprite is the one on the left, if it wasn't obvious. I'll be going through to reshade and the like later tonight maybe probably)

Offline Balneor

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 11
Re: Potential sprite remaster project? + Greetings
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 02:58:47 pm »
Hey. Really nice stuff, will definitely look forward to it ;D

And that's fine too if you don't speak a lot here.

Offline ijustwanttolookatspoilers

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 04:58:35 am »
I made a couple of improvements to the running animation, as well as started on the fly (mostly because I was tired and it was only 5 frames which made it easy.)

I'm not entirely sure about the eyes. On the original sprites the eyes are made up of just two pixels, and had no white in them. So I expanded them and added some white to them so it's not strictly 1:1 with the original sprite. But I figured since i'm trying to add in extra details that that was one thing I could do with them. Either way I guess I'll see soon enough if it's a good addition or a bad addition.

Offline Waffaru

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 2
  • Stay determined as you grow, love as you go
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 08:51:22 pm »
I made a couple of improvements to the running animation, as well as started on the fly (mostly because I was tired and it was only 5 frames which made it easy.)

I'm not entirely sure about the eyes. On the original sprites the eyes are made up of just two pixels, and had no white in them. So I expanded them and added some white to them so it's not strictly 1:1 with the original sprite. But I figured since i'm trying to add in extra details that that was one thing I could do with them. Either way I guess I'll see soon enough if it's a good addition or a bad addition.

Hey dude, good working there!

In my opinion, the white you added to the eyes don't fit very well. The results you had on the first sprite you posted were much better, I think you should stick with that eyes-wise.

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 10:39:29 pm »
I like these. Good work on this I hope the future ones will also go well.