We're partners with the Klonoa for Smash Bros. Facebook page! Be sure to give them a visit!

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: 0% run playthrough  (Read 2265 times)

Offline Balneor

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 11
0% run playthrough
« on: June 06, 2017, 02:22:18 pm »
So, just after Door to Phantomile, I plan to do this game now. However, rules will be different:

-I will only try to avoid dreamstones (Nicknamed "Ds" on this thread), nothing more.
-For difficulty and length purposes, I will allow the uses of checkpoints, dying, and collecting everything else.
-You're forced to create a new save-file, so you can see the total at the world-map. This also means, you'll start with 3 lives, which you can increase the counter by collecting extra lives through normal 0% gameplay.

Because I cannot record those plays, I will make screenshots of the scores (from the world map), and possibly of specifics sections at this adress:

----->>>>>     http://imgur.com/a/zV8pa    <<<<<-----

All of the mentionned images on this topic, will be found there. Each time it will be mentionned in my (upcoming) posts, is because I updated it. And yes, quality's awful, I concieve.

From what you can see, I've already done 5 levels. Some of the solutions I came up to bypass those peskies Ds
are rather complex, so don't wonder how I got 0 Ds at Volk City (Though, I'll try to explain all of them).
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

How exactly a 0% run of Lunatea's Veil, would differ from DtP? I shall answer:
- Klonoa's hitbox upon grabbing any Ds, is MUCH BIGGER overall.
That's the main reason why I softened theses rules, allowing me to use checkpoints per example.
- Visions overall are longer, so Ds are more spaced, but often attacks in groups that are tough to traverse.
- There are boards levels. While the sections in which you can move in all directions are trivial to route,
the one in 2D are much more threatening.
- I'ts more upon me, but instead of playing on a keyboard, I play with a PS2 controller. I'ts a bit more tough, because pressing multiple buttons in a very short time-window (Which are necessary here) is harder.

Sort of disclaimer: Since I just started this, I'll be forced to make additionnal posts, showing my actual progress each time. Sorry if this is polluting the latest posts, and maybe other sections from this website.
I'll make up by taking my time for a good "product".
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 08:06:13 am by Balneor »

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
Re: 0% run playthrough
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 06:14:04 pm »
I actually tried this once with a ton of save states to speed things up in in pcsx2 for Klonoa 2. It is possible to run it with zero dreamstones but uugggggghh certain visions like Mira Mira mountains and I think one or 2 places in the Kingdom of sorrow are a total pain to try to do X_x

However I did these with Popka and don't even want to try without for the moment.

Anyways these kinds of runs are interesting :D

Offline Balneor

• Heart Moo
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 05:30:40 am »
I wouldn't actually give a reply now, but your point about Popka is absolutely right. It just so happends I have another controller working, so I can use it...
Though I'm not sure I really want to, because i'ts so overpowered, stunts aren't impressive anymore, in contrast to Popkaless. (At the same time, I don't have video-proof, so you wouldn't be able to see those stunts anyways)

But the deal here is getting the least amount of Ds, and so Popka is a must. On top of that, I'll have an easier time than before. So, let's re-do everything again again ! ( :very_angry: )

Also, this would make Sea of Tears/La-Lakoosha 0 Ds, extremely likely to happend.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 05:37:04 am by Balneor »

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 09:36:41 am »
I wish you best of luck. :o I would try it again my self but I have only 1 ps2 controller xD.
I can do it on pcsx2 but I could cheat way to easy with button remapping. Though that in it's self makes popka pretty fun.

Offline Balneor

• Heart Moo
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 07:53:38 am »
[ACTUAL PROGRESS]

So I plugged the 2 controllers, and it all works ( :D )
Using Popka when you're alone, is a bit weird and difficult, especially if you have to move a lot.

But hey, I've done the 6-firsts Visions, you can check the imgur link mentionned above.

I can firmly affirm Popka is overpowered. Getting thoses scores are a joke, everytime there seems to be a group of unskippables Ds, Popka will always allow you to skip them.
He also can be used in board levels, making Jungle Slider considerably easier than what it was before...

While I'm at it, I got pictures of some locations in Volk City I've never seen before (However there's nothing special to be found, thanks to the camera pointing downwards).
They're included in the imgur link as well.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 08:27:20 am by Balneor »

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 12:22:18 pm »
grats on the new dreamstone stuff and also yeah I wish really bad I had free cam for Klonoa 2. Though after my last searching using something like moon jump I don't expect to find much outside of levels. aside from maybe stray dreamstones in crazy locations that don't count towards dreamstones.

Also now that I think about it I think that ramp is meant for volkan inferno.  :unsure:

Offline Balneor

• Heart Moo
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 12:39:52 pm »
[ACTUAL PROGRESS #2]

Yea, it was subtle but those ramps are indeed for Volkan Inferno. I've gotten out of the way that one, and Ishras Ark,
now : http://imgur.com/a/zV8pa.

At the same time I got enough footage to begin another topic (Yes, again!), and this one WILL be concrete stuff, unlike those sort of challenges I've been a part of, for quite a while now.

Offline Balneor

• Heart Moo
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 03:28:56 pm »
[ACTUAL PROGRESS #3]

I've just done the 5 firsts Visions, of the second page. As always, imgur was updated.

Since I haven't collected any dolls, I don't have access to the bonuses Visions. I'll just play them from a already 100% completed file, and then will do a screenshot at the very end of it, showing the total count.

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 05:45:31 pm »
ahh alright. Also congrats :D

Offline Balneor

• Heart Moo
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 07:15:23 am »
[ACTUAL PROGRESS #4 (THE END)]

Finished the lasts Visions, bonuses included.
Unfortunately, Extra 1 is the only one impossible to 0% :sad_face: but i'ts quite a feat that all the others were doable, even Kingdom of Sorrow.

Note : After I was done with this "project", I tried to beat my times with Popka (Previous times were Popkaless).
...Seems the game doesn't accept records if you use him.

Like, I got 1:59 for Extra 2 and 1:03 for Extra 1, but then I saved, and at the world map it still showed me the old records, respectively 2:43 and 1:08.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 07:23:16 am by Balneor »