Browsing this site on a smartphone? Be sure to browse it in landscape for the best experience!

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Hypnospace Outlaw Thread  (Read 678 times)

Offline qwerty9537

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 2
  • klonoa 1 more like ..... i dunno
Hypnospace Outlaw Thread
« on: May 13, 2023, 07:24:04 am »
Hypnospace is one of my favourite games, and I'm not sure why. maybe it's the feeling of the internet being alive as you browse it in the earlier stages, or maybe it's the religious undertones of it's parody of Y2K, maybe it's the uniqueness of an internet simulator? Either way, I love this game and i'll try to explain why.

Hypnospace Outlaw is a 90s internet simulator where you take the role of a HSPD volunteer, a pseudo moderation team put together to keep the internet superhighway clean of any scum that might come your way before the rest of the web see it. But you'll spend most of the game messing around and buying cool junk like a wallpaper or some midi files. The game gives an excellent emulation and parody of the internet in 1999, allowing you to mess around on peoples wacky pages and getting yourself infected with viruses. Hypnospace (INGAME) is the service you use, it uses the innovative concept of Sleeptime Computing, where you go to sleep wearing a special headband which influences your dreams into being a computer desktop which you can control. The world of Hypnospace feels lived in and alive, users will react to your moderation, such as an old lady commenting that you removing her copyright infringing drawings is censorship (which it is.)

THE FIRST CASE:
The first case sees you learning the ropes of this new platform, you are assigned an easy case. Merchantsoft has recieved a ceast and desist leter from Tina Briggs, the daughter of W.E Briggs and current owner of the Gumshoe Gooper character, a goldfish wearing a detective hat and sporting a magnifying glass. Gumshoe is found in a page in Goodtime Valley, a place for older peopleto settle down as they use the web. You stumble upon Abagail Lorne, also known as AbbyWrites58. She is now 59 despite her name online.
She is a first grade teacher and as a group activity, she asked her students to draw Gooper, these were then posted on her webpage. Briggs got wind of this and decided that this was a threat to their brand and sent you to stirke them down. You do as such, which kickstarts the STAND WITH GOOPER campaign. This is a perfect opening case to get you accustomed to the world of Hypnospace and it a parody on the copyright system as well.

There's much more in this game to discover, and I encourage you all to give it a shot!
:D

EDIT: Sorry for the broken images! Dunno how to fix it so I put attachments x_x

Offline qwerty9537

• Moo
Re: Hypnospace Outlaw Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 10:02:36 am »
Side note, I find the religious side of Hypnospace Outlaw fascinating. Jay Tholen (Main person behind the game) is a Christian and often does religious works, but the way he did it in Hypnospace was interesting

He's definitely a self aware christian, he put a lot of jokes at their expense in the game (Like Squisherz emulating the satanic panic behind pokemon) and he never gets pushy with it, you can go through the game without ever thinking of christianity. But the song Millenium Anthem tells an interesting story about a character in game reacting to the fears around the year 2000

It's about a girl who's family was influenced by the church that the rapture was going to happen that midnight, we learn from thre lyrics that they "spent all their money on billboards" which is their family trying to save people from damnation. Once the rapture didn't happen, the song sings "Y2K, you let me down-down, you let me down-down-down-down-down-down-down-down-down..." Stupid lyrics on paper but it rocks in the actual song :embarassed: but yeah, it's a song about a young girl that was banned from hypnospace and her experience on Y2K. This was all confirmed by Jay by the way :P

heres the song by the way,
! Hope ya enjoy :) Love this game and i'm not a religious person myself[/font]

Offline PhantomShiba

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 6
  • Your (probably) exhausted nerd
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2023, 11:42:27 am »
My first introduction to Hypnospace was on some random day when I was looking through YouTube, I found a video by Saltydkdan which is one of my favorite YouTubers, I watched his playthrough and was fascinated by the story and how wacky the whole game was, it was so charming. A few days later I bought the game and put so many hours into many different playthroughs, and it's easy to say it is one of my favorite games of all time. I can't wait for Dreamsettler, it already looks amazing from what I've seen in the trailer.
-PHANTOM SHIBA (Moxie)-
(Actual age: 15 - I made a mistake on my profile :p)

Offline Mr.KokoPudgeFudge

• Moo
  • I'm a guy who thinks way too much
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2023, 11:50:01 am »
Side note, I find the religious side of Hypnospace Outlaw fascinating. Jay Tholen (Main person behind the game) is a Christian and often does religious works, but the way he did it in Hypnospace was interesting

He's definitely a self aware christian, he put a lot of jokes at their expense in the game (Like Squisherz emulating the satanic panic behind pokemon) and he never gets pushy with it, you can go through the game without ever thinking of christianity. But the song Millenium Anthem tells an interesting story about a character in game reacting to the fears around the year 2000

It's about a girl who's family was influenced by the church that the rapture was going to happen that midnight, we learn from thre lyrics that they "spent all their money on billboards" which is their family trying to save people from damnation. Once the rapture didn't happen, the song sings "Y2K, you let me down-down, you let me down-down-down-down-down-down-down-down-down..." Stupid lyrics on paper but it rocks in the actual song :embarassed: but yeah, it's a song about a young girl that was banned from hypnospace and her experience on Y2K. This was all confirmed by Jay by the way :P

heres the song by the way,
! Hope ya enjoy :) Love this game and i'm not a religious person myself[/font]

Reminds me of this video I watched about the origin of Jehova's Witnesses, and a recurring joke in that video was that everyone thought the rapture would happen at some specific time, spend all their stuff for the cause, and then it doesn't happen. This happened like 5 times.

"But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." Mark 13:32

Offline qwerty9537

• Moo
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2023, 12:05:02 pm »
My first introduction to Hypnospace was on some random day when I was looking through YouTube, I found a video by Saltydkdan which is one of my favorite YouTubers, I watched his playthrough and was fascinated by the story and how wacky the whole game was, it was so charming. A few days later I bought the game and put so many hours into many different playthroughs, and it's easy to say it is one of my favorite games of all time. I can't wait for Dreamsettler, it already looks amazing from what I've seen in the trailer.

Ah I think i found the game from him too! He was one of the first big youtubers to cover it right?

Reminds me of this video I watched about the origin of Jehova's Witnesses, and a recurring joke in that video was that everyone thought the rapture would happen at some specific time, spend all their stuff for the cause, and then it doesn't happen. This happened like 5 times.

"But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." Mark 13:32

I think it's in reference to that in a way, I can't be sure but it fits!