In some instances, all you can do is wahoo.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: So... Let's talk about Guntz.  (Read 3459 times)

Offline MidnaGamer

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 2
So... Let's talk about Guntz.
« on: April 24, 2017, 05:47:29 pm »
I feel the need to share my opinion here: I don't really like Guntz. (Put down your pitchforks, let me tell ya one thing: I don't completely hate him.) I seriously feel he's out of character when compared to the rest of the franchise in some ways, the same way like Shadow is in Shadow The Hedgehog. It just rubs me the wrong way. He wasn't introduced very well, and he just is too assholish for my taste.

Am i the only one who thinks about it? Why do i think about it this way? Have i played enough of the games to even know about this character? How do you think about him? Feel free to share your opinion here. :unsure:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 05:49:48 am by MidnaGamer »
"We're together, Klonoa... We'll be together, always..."

Offline Mobotropolis

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 18
Re: So... Let's talk about Guntz.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 07:04:04 pm »
Dream Champ is either a poorly written or poorly translated game. I don't know which.

To get the best sense of his character you'd have to had played either Klonoa Heroes or Namco x Capcom.

Guntz is a Hero. He does good by catching bad guys as a bounty hunter and protecting the weak from villains. He is slow to warm up to others, but fiercely protective of the people he grows to care about. He is fanatical about firearms (fangirlin'), has shown an interest in machinery, and seems to be very motivated by financial gain. Guntz seems to be easily flustered/frustrated, has favored self-preservation on more than one occasion (though oddly not in Dream Champ), and suffers from bouts of nausea from motion sickness.

Klonoa described Guntz " cool and confident " in his first assessment and " sometimes mean, sometimes kind " in the second, and became distressed when Guntz was uncharacteristically abrasive following an encounter with Janga.

If you think of Guntz like Shadow you'd probably think him OOC. Though there are similarities between their characters their motivations and moral compasses are different. Shadow is an anti-hero; an individual who can easily do the wrong thing if he thought it was for the greater good. Guntz mostly stands on the heroic side of things and has shown hesitation towards doing things that are morally wrong like killing Pamela or even Janga in Heroes.

Offline MidnaGamer

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 2
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 06:03:18 am »
I can't say I ever understood the whole thing with pairing Klonoa and him up.. Especially as a romantic couple. ((Before you ask, No it has nothing to do with gender, May I remind you I see Klonoa and Huepow being pretty valid - But actual chemistry and age. The age part is what kind of puts me off the most... Even aging Klo himself up you'd factually have to age the other up too, And it'd still feel just as uncomfortable for me.)) Still makes more sense than KlonoaxTails. Ship what you want though, Just don't force things on other people. More reasons why I want the next Klonoa game to have multiple endings/choices. It'd offer chances to please more people than alienating all others for one.

For Guntz himself... I never was too into "dark"/"edgy" characters like Shadow either so he never came off as that much interesting to me as Klonoa himself and Lolo do. Doesn't help that for the most part, he seems like he can be kind of a smart*** from what one of my friends has shown me in Namco X Capcom - Where he even takes up more screentime than Klonoa himself. 

:tired:

He's not a bad character ((A character really has to infuriate and annoy me to be considered such.)) but I never could get into the same hypetrain around him as others could. I guess I'm just into more "colorful" characters of such.

The only real thing I can say about him is "Ow the Edge", No offense.

This. I mean, i love it when characters become less of an asshole throughout the story, had a reason to be one due to backstories, and develop their personality throughout the story, (AKA, Silver from Pokemon, or Shadow in Sonic Adventure 2) but Guntz just seems to be... there. :(
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 06:09:38 am by MidnaGamer »
"We're together, Klonoa... We'll be together, always..."

Offline Mobotropolis

• Hero in Training
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 06:10:57 pm »
Well I pair Klonoa with everybody, so ...

Wall of Text Preface to That --
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

... now ... circling around.

Yes, Guntz is older than Klonoa ... but so are Huepow and Lolo.

Where I put them -

I didn't get into the beef of it because in retrospect I thought that was beside the point given the above.

Offline Mobotropolis

• Hero in Training
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 10:37:50 pm »
There's this from Heroes ...

The age-thing comes up quite a bit in Heroes, perhaps because part of the reason that Guntz was in emotional distress was because he was not mature enough to handle losing his father. When Guntz first meets Klonoa he berates him quite a bit about acting like a child. As the story goes on and Guntz is served several comeuppances he realizes that he didn't know as much as he thought he did.

Offline mnstrmthd

• Cursed
  • Dreamer Rating: 32
  • inactive
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 12:21:43 pm »
This. I mean, i love it when characters become less of an asshole throughout the story, had a reason to be one due to backstories, and develop their personality throughout the story, (AKA, Silver from Pokemon, or Shadow in Sonic Adventure 2) but Guntz just seems to be... there. :(
Guntz literally does EXACTLY all this in Heroes, though??

Like Mobo said, he comes to terms with himself and becomes less of an arrogant tough-guy asshole by the end, and genuinely cares for his teammates. His reason for being an asshole in the first place was having his father murdered in front of him at a young age, and having to more or less completely raise himself. He lived a life of self-sufficiency and followed a career that kinda requires you to be cold and tough.

He's more than just an "edgelord" character, he has a lot of counterpoints to it. He's kind of a dorky teen that puts up a cool guy front imo. I feel like you guys should maybe actually play or read through Heroes' script, cause you seem to be misinterpreting his character based on a very poor translation of a spinoff game that Klonoa and Guntz just happen to be in.

Offline Mobotropolis

• Hero in Training
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 08:08:50 pm »
I can't stand Sonic as a character, think he is a poor role model for children, and is probably one of the weakest characters in terms of development in his own franchise -- perhaps by design, but that is another discussion.

I think it has to do with how you interpret the material, and which games you've played.

For example, I see nothing of how you usually describe Klonoa in Klonoa.

I never could see why he's THAT popular IMO.

It's okay not to like a character, you know.

I think that's part of the reason why most franchises have an ensemble of characters. You're supposed to find one you like and can relate to so you're interested in buying games and merchandise with them in it. You might not like Guntz but you do like Klonoa, Lolo, and Huepow. I don't like Huepow which is probably why I'm stalling on my @Windbullet entries but I do like most of the other characters in the franchise.

I like Klonoa and Guntz the most -- separately and together. Even with other people.

I like the dynamic they have. Of the partners that Klonoa has had he seems to compliment Klonoa the most. Huepow is more of an " Advice Animal " trope and Lolo being in more of a supportive role. Guntz can hold his own in a battle without Klonoa and can provide support doing more than just enhancing his strength.

Outside of battle ... I actually like character dynamics where the characters do not get along all of the time. Huepow and Lolo are usually agreeable. Klonoa and Guntz argue and later banter; both of which I think are important to do in a healthy relationship.

I don't want to throw Huepow or Lolo under a bus, though. I've grown to like their characters even if I don't like the dynamic they have with Klonoa. Huepow's grown a bit on me as a possibly deeply-troubled individual who needs to come out of his shell more and I wish they'd do more with him.

Lolo's character development seemed to be going in a very positive direction before the series ended. I want to believe that Dream Traveler of Noctis Soul was going to fix what I thought was wrong with Lolo's character ... and that the movie may well resolve it. In my own writings I aimed to strengthen her character both physically and emotionally. If she's going to be the main female and probably love interest of this franchise she needs to shape up.

Even Peach took initiative eventually.

Guntz's character was also improving ... though I thought Dream Traveler of Noctis Sol was a bit of a misstep and seemed to be based more on his Dream Champ incarnation. Now that Guntz was able to move past losing his father and open up to people he needs to make meaningful relationships with others. He even seemed to be on his way to doing that in Namco x Capcom which canon is debatable (I say it's canon) by befriending some of the fellow gunners.

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 06:53:49 pm »
What @Mobotropolis said was really well thought out

Also this doesn't really feel like talk about Guntz as more as bashing him. But everyone has their critics. Personally I'm indifferent about him and there are other characters I like more.