Moos are watching you ◉ω◉

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: [Official] Lolo vs Huepow  (Read 3532 times)

Offline bemuzzled

• *furry flomp*
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 9
  • Hill Top Zone
[Official] Lolo vs Huepow
« on: July 03, 2015, 02:07:08 pm »
Disclaimer: I asked Darry and he said it was OK to make this an official topic.

Who was the better support?

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
Re: [Official] Lolo vs Huepow
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 02:10:05 pm »
Neither :u But really despite the side I am on I'd prefer Lolo at lest she didn't do what Huepow did.
I'm not gonna be blindly biased to phantomile on this one xD

Offline mnstrmthd

• Cursed
  • Dreamer Rating: 32
  • inactive
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 02:36:55 pm »
Oh my god Lolo. Do I even need to explain why? (It has to do with better character depth/development again).

Alternately please consider: Popka. Because he's literally perfect.

Offline Sable-Xeno

• God in the Machine
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 50
  • The dude.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 04:07:01 pm »
Well, sure, both of them manipulated Klonoa in some form, though I do feel Lolo manipulated Klonoa a little less, yet made a bit bigger deal out of it. So I guess there was a bit more reconciling there. I dunno, I guess I like Lolo more? I mean...she has Popka with her, that's something.

Also, she was kidnapped...twice, so I imagine it's not just Klonoa who want dat booty

Artwork drawn by Somnax (FA), 5th Gen Pokemon sprite bases made by Pokemon-Diamond (DA).

Offline BinaryPulsar

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 11
  • Kore wa pen desu
    • Quotev
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 05:00:15 pm »
Lolo is amazing, cause she actually has personality. i find Huepoe to be a bit bland at times. Lolo on the other hand keeps a believable personality the entire game. plus, her back story is just so sad. Huepow gets no back story, so it's hard to relate to him. plus, girl power! >w< (and i ship KlonoaxLolo XP)

Offline dummy

• Dumbness Incarnate
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 20
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 05:39:42 pm »
Unlike Troll Huepow, Lolo is someone who wanted REALLY to save Lunatea for the World.

While Trolly Huepow is one of Klonoa's best friends, He's full of Cliff Hunger, doesn't explain until the end, and he only wanted the Diva and The Moon Kingdom to be saved, nothing else.

Lolo didn't and will never do any of these.

So, in terms of friendship, Lolo > Huepow.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 06:28:24 pm by ALOIYD »

Offline gamr13

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 4
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 07:01:34 pm »
Lolo, undoubtedly, like everyone said, character and personality, development, Lolo and Popka were the perfect fitting companions to Klonoa throughout his travel unlike Huepow/Huepoe who honestly was very bland and never felt like a "Friend" to Klonoa.

Offline Artsy

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 18
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 10:39:52 pm »
Huepow actually did care much more about protecting the world than Lolo did. He did enough to do something very, very risky. And even if he was manipulative (again, he believed he was contributing to the lesser of two evils: should he risk the destruction of the universe just to save the feelings of someone who, at the time, was a complete stranger?), it's pretty easy to see that he was able to develop strong feelings for Klonoa over the course of their adventure together, due to the way he tries to "cheat the system" and save Klonoa from being taken away from Phantomile.

Lolo, on the other hand, cared much more about her own personal growth than she did about saving the world. And to say that she did grow is kind of.... Ehh... She mentions it so much over the course of the game but at the same time she just acts as a tool for Klonoa. And even if Huepow was a "tool" as well, he never tried to deny it by constantly remarking how he wishes to grow as a person and then never truly act on it. Huepow was a passive character in his story and he knew it. As someone who's been in Lolo's position (ie, constantly bullied when they were young, which left a serious, serious dent in self worth) I understand it takes time to grow and develop, and I'm glad that in DCT she was able to step up to the plate and represent herself as a person and not just an extension of Klonoa. However, even Popka mentions in Mira Mira that she has a lot more growing to do as a person than she (and a lot of the fan base) was giving herself credit for.

I don't think she was as well written as she could have been, she neither replicates the mysterious aura Huepow was given during and after the Cress visions in DTP nor was she able to really be more than a character with only a couple of facets at best (again, I do feel like seeing her progress through the other games, NXC, and Noctis Sol was a great reward as a fan of the series, and the end of the game proved refreshing as she did recognize that she still had a LOT of growing to do, but this criticism is for what happens the majority of the game) which is a little disheartening seeing as Leorina, while her arc was a bit rushed (well, as was everyone's. This game is short. As a game that's perfectly fine as long as the gameplay mechanics are satisfying and don't overstay their welcome in a game, but as a story it's something all developers struggle with. This criticism honestly isn't too personal as it's something that could be applied in multiple titles.) she still manages to be more developed, and doesn't try (not in a literal sense but through her actions) to claim that she's accomplished something she's not. I see a lot of people out on the internet who tend to favor the villains of a story over the heroes, but as a writer, this shouldn't be the goal, especially when you're trying to fight FOR your friends, instead we are left with a character who is cute to look at (this isn't a bad thing????) but ultimately doesn't develop as well as she could have.

And yeah it was a bit off to reveal Huepow late in the game, but I don't think it takes away from intrigue about his character as he is literally NEVER explained early on in the game. He just appears and it raises a bit of question. Or maybe I'm just too paranoid of a person that I questioned it in the first place. I felt like DTP could have done with more foreshadowing if they were going to throw in so much "mystery and suspicion" towards the end.

Ultimately I don't hate Lolo at all, but I think that specifically in Lunatea's Veil, she wasn't written to her true potential as a character. It's honestly one of the reasons Lunatea's Veil didn't trigger much emotional reaction in me at all, especially not compared to the extremities that everyone else claimed to feel. She didn't contribute as much to the story as she really could have, and because of this I feel that Huepow did a better job at not only being Klonoa's companion but being his own character, where as Lolo just played off of Klonoa too much.

Offline CacmanZero

• Moo
  • Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 56
  • Moo's Dreams
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 10:18:22 am »
Klonoa and Hewope friendship helping.  :big_smile:

Offline Randomizer

• Villain in Training
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 33
  • The Regular Army is no more
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 01:17:30 pm »
The best supporting character for me is Lolo.  ;D

I'd choose her any day over a talking bubble that transforms into a Teletubby, reveals himself as the prince and lies to you in the end.

Like the others have said, Huepow is just...there.  :|