For each time you go to Idle Chatter, Lolo trips over an object.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Where is Klonoa from? SPOILERS  (Read 1846 times)

Offline ThatGamerMarco

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 1
    • Check out my Youtube Channel! :)
Where is Klonoa from? SPOILERS
« on: May 27, 2020, 09:54:54 pm »
At the end of Door to Phantomile, it's revealed that Klonoa is not originally from Phantomile, and Huepow implanted fake memories into him so he can gain his trust. He gets transported from Phantomile and then he enters Lunetea, events of Klonoa 2 Lunetea's Veil. It also turns out Klonoa isn't from there either so he has to leave once his duty is done. So Klonoa goes to worlds, solves the problem, and leaves. However, the real question, what dreamworld is Klonoa from? Personally, I think it's from a dreamworld with a wind setting going on. Or he was  :confused:born in a world with a windy area like Breezegale back in Phantomile, as Klonoa possesses the Wind Bullet which he can use to inflate enemies and double jump. So, it made so much sense Huepow put a memory where he grew up in Breezegale. Otherwise, Klonoa would be confused why he comes from somewhere like Jugpot where this water while he possesses the ability of wind. So, we know that Klonoa must have come from somewhere windy or a windy place in a certain dreamworld. However, I don't have more information since, well, the series hasn't had another game since 2009 and the other games don't have too much information about Klonoa's past, so yea. What do you guys and gals think?

Offline RicAlbuquerque

• Heart Moo
Re: Where is Klonoa from? SPOILERS
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 08:18:17 pm »
My guess: Phantomile and Lunatea are not real, and, in reality, the events of the games are Klonoa's dreams.

Think about it, the theme of dreaming is present in every game, and Phantomile and Lunatea are considered dream worlds Klonoa has to inevitably "wake up" from. In fact, having to wake up from Phantomile was the reason Klonoa was forced to leave that world at the end of the first game. This could very well be him having to wake up from a dream and back to the real world.

This would explain his fake memories: in a dream, you don't exactly have any recollection of the real world. It would even justify the inconsistencies we see throughout the games: for example, Phantomile and Lunatea are established to be different worlds and yet we see regions from both in Klonoa Heroes (which only takes place in one world). Also, when you finish Klonoa 2, you get a "good morning" message, implying Klonoa has once again woken from another dream.

So there you have it: this theory would explain his fake memories, the main theme of the games, him having to inevitably leave the dream worlds, the inconsistencies we see throughout the franchise and to top things off, it's not even a theory anymore since Dream Traveler of Noctis Sol confirmed it: in that comic, Klonoa not only refers to the events of the games as "his dreams", but he also enters Phantomile by going to sleep. Interestingly, he is shown to also be a cat/bunny in real life.

I will admit, I'm not 100 percent sure if this is the official view, but it's the one I like to have. Also, it would make Klonoa one of the few if not the only piece of entertainment to have a good use of the "it was all a dream" plot twist.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 08:36:12 pm by RicAlbuquerque »
Awaiting the return of our lord and savior Pac-Man

Offline ThatGamerMarco

• Wind
    • Check out my Youtube Channel! :)
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 06:43:13 pm »
That is a pretty good theory! Klonoa is just sleeping. However, it would be sad that nothing really exists as it's all in Klonoa's head. Also, if he has these dreams, then how does Klonoa see Lolo and Popka in Dream Champ Tournament, and in that game, they are like "yo it's good to see you again". Then again, it is possible for people to have similar dreams. I just like to think that the worlds Klonoa visits are real even if they are dreams. I guess I just don't like to see the ugly facts of life but I don't know what Namco was really implying. However, I really respect your viewpoint my dude!

Offline RicAlbuquerque

• Heart Moo
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 08:50:46 pm »
I will admit, there are some holes (or at least missing pieces) here and there. Lolo and Popka remembering Klonoa is one of them: I don't know if the characters in each game represent people in real life or are fragments of Klonoa's personality/ emotions.

Offline Thorp

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 11:22:41 am »
While I fully recognize that Klonoa's adventures can easily be seen as just dreams I like to believe in a bit of head canon on this topic.

My head canon is the dream worlds and characters are real; they all exist on their separate universes that the characters all coincidentally uniformly call dream worlds. In a universal myth kind of way, the inhabitants within these separate worlds know each separate world can exist but believe they are merely dreams, fake, don't actually exist though physical pain is real. During Lunatea's Veil the dialogue and history of Lunatea loosely convey proof that dream travelers are a recurring event in dream worlds as Lolo points out that Klonoa resembles a statue and was somewhat familiar with Klonoa's ring ability, alluding to a studied magical form.

Klonoa is capable of willingly traveling to other worlds as seen in Lunatea's Veil but there are other ways that he can travel. In Door to Phantomile Huepoe mentions that Klonoa was summoned while also stating that their two worlds don't exist to eachother (continual universal myth). Lunatea's Veil started out with Klonoa falling into a body of water which could imply that he lacks control of his ability and mistakenly "sleep walked" into the dream world and/or perhaps he sometimes travels to worlds in trouble as if the turmoil summons him.

As to how Klonoa acquired his ring is a mystery that I would like explained if only briefly. Klonoa's ring and his dream travel ability are quite unique and it's strange that it's just kinda not talked about by the characters though they all refer to the ring and dream travelers offhandedly.

But of course the recurring universal mentions of dream worlds, Klonoa resembling a statue, and the characters all generally being aware of dream travelers should easily prove that it's all a figment of Klonoa's imagination. Additionally during gameplay when players get a Game Over they are presented a "wake up" screen which again implies that it's all a dream anyway. However the Game Over screen may also imply that when Klonoa "dies" in a dream he merely wakes/disconnects from that dream world.

Of course I prefer the head canon. If everything is indeed a dream and all in Klonoa's head it just cheapens the adventures altogether. It would be like watching Lord of the Rings and reaching the end of the trilogy and going, "haha, it was all a dream!"
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 02:06:35 pm by confuted, Reason: clarity »

Offline RicAlbuquerque

• Heart Moo
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 11:52:19 pm »
"(Of course I prefer the head canon. If everything is indeed a dream and all in Klonoa's head it just cheapens the adventures altogether. It would be like watching Lord of the Rings and reaching the end of the trilogy and going, "haha, it was all a dream!")"

I get where you're coming from, but if you look at it from another angle, it doesn't make Klonoa's adventures meaningless. On the contrary, it adds a deeper meaning to every game since we're getting to know his personality in depth. For example, the main theme of Lunatea's Veil could be Klonoa trying to accept and overcome his own sorrow after having ignored it for a painfully long time. I went in-depth with this possibility in the following topic: https://forums.untamedheart.us/?topic=2428.0.

But the main reason I prefer the dream theory is that it answers more questions than it raises. There is a lot of elements and inconsistencies in these games that are not easily explained, especially in the spin-offs: why doesn't Klonoa have any recollection of Door to Phantomile during the events of Lunatea's Veil and yet clearly remembers Hewpoe in Dream Traveler Noctis Sol? How can places from Phantomile and Lunatea exist in the same world in Klonoa Heroes? How can Hewpoe be in Empire of Dreams if Klonoa supposedly left Phantomile forever and all of his memories of the times he spent with Hewpoe are fake (wouldn't that make Empire of Dreams just a fake memory)?

Many people try solving this by saying that this or that game isn't canon or that the developers didn't care that much about consistency, but we might have a definitive solution here. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying your vision is wrong or anything. Everyone is free to have their own interpretation.

Also, keep in mind that the truth could be a mix of both visions: maybe the dream worlds are real but there is a true "real world" inhabited by dream travelers (kinda like a hub between dream worlds) and the dream worlds are capable of adapting their own reality to the traveler's expectations/personality (would explain some of the inconsistencies I mentioned above).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 11:58:04 pm by RicAlbuquerque »

Offline Drisaac

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 2
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 04:54:40 am »
Yeah no, i honestly prefer to believe that the dream worlds and the people who inhabit said worlds are real, if they weren't that would make the entire struggle to save them futile, and it would lessen the experience for me.

On the topic of being the dream traveler there's many theories about it, maybe klonoa is one of the many dream travelers that has got the ability to willingly (or unwillingly ?) travel between dream worlds for the purpose of saving them, whether klonoa willingly chooses to go to these worlds himself or is forced by said power to go into them is up for speculation.

Or we can also use the theory that perhaps there is only one dream traveler, and that said power is passed from generation to generation, and that Klonoa is simply the new reincarnation of the dream traveler.

One last note:

How can places from Phantomile and Lunatea exist in the same world in Klonoa Heroes?

Klonoa Heroes takes place in a different canon in which all characters live in the same world, this is a confirmed fact, so there you have your answer there.

Offline RicAlbuquerque

• Heart Moo
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 08:53:44 pm »
Yeah no, i honestly prefer to believe that the dream worlds and the people who inhabit said worlds are real, if they weren't that would make the entire struggle to save them futile, and it would lessen the experience for me.

Being a dream doesn't necessarily make the dream worlds not real. One of the possibilities is that the dream worlds are real, but they are constantly reshaping themselves to adapt to the dream traveler's expectations. To understand better how that would work, we gotta look at a game belonging to another Namco franchise which you can see that I like a lot through my pic: Pac-Man World 3.

In PMW3, we get to know the Spectral Realm, a parallel universe where all ghosts come from and where many levels of that game take place. Along those levels, the ambient constantly changes with no apparent reason. We're led to think that these changes are merely part of the game design until we are eventually offered an explanation.

To Pac-Man, the Spectral Realm is pretty much a wasteland of rocks and pink lava and yet his ghost friend Orson is awfully fond of it. When Pac-Man asks why Orson shows such feelings towards the Spectral Realm, he receives the following answer: "(The Spectral Realm) looks different to everyone who comes here, Pac-Man. It reacts to expectation, you see. It's really a sea of potential".

The dream worlds could work in a similar way and constantly rearrange to match the expectations (and maybe even some feelings) of the Dream Traveler, thus working similarly to a dream.