Untamed Heart: Wahoo is more popular than Yahoo!

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Shoutbox Beta Testing  (Read 2006 times)

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
Shoutbox Beta Testing
« on: June 27, 2015, 06:59:52 pm »
Good day everyone.

As you may have noticed there are indeed TWO shoutboxes on the site. Now you're probably wondering why this was done, well, let me explain. We're currently testing out the shoutbox (on the bottom) to see which one we may use in the future. Now while the curent shoutbox (on the top) definitely has more features the bottom shoutbox is definitely more mobile device friendly.  So it's almost going to come down to a decision of convenience vs features.

Anyway please test it out. Give me feedback here. Thanks!

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
Re: Shoutbox Beta Testing
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 07:13:47 pm »
I can't do much mobile testing so I'm definitely biased towards top shoutbox buuut. It does seem to do it's job well for mobile from what I hear.

Offline BinaryPulsar

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 11
  • Kore wa pen desu
    • Quotev
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 07:34:44 pm »
i'm on mobile 90% of the time, but i never talk in the shoutbox. but i know annoying chat rooms can be on mobile, so i think it's a good idea

Offline Rupurudu!

• Breezegale Resident
  • Dreamer Rating: 37
    • Klonoa.org
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 08:25:02 pm »
Alright, let's put some feedback to this thread.

The bottom one seems to be installed by SimplePortal. While making new layout, I already discovered the shoutbox is not mobile friendly and tested the SimplePortal's shoutbox.

Well, I don't make detailed testing to it, however I found a bug while trying to fix the homepage problem: http://simpleportal.net/index.php?topic=13932.0

About the top one, I can say that it works, but the way it works, and how is it coded is not very pretty.

First and biggest issue to me, the developer don't made a stylesheet for it. Instead it embedded styling info to the source code instead.

On SMF, you can actually change how stuff look using template files too. And the developer again, put the most of the actual code to the template file.

It's a big pain to locate the style codes and change them to me.

Second, It actually puts server on stress.

Unlike most of the forum, shoutbox needs to be constantly updated so everyone gets new shouts without refreshing.

There are several approaches for this. Here, I list commonly used ones here. Shoutbox uses the 1st one which is the worst approach.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 08:31:35 pm by Rupurudu! »

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 09:13:10 pm »
So which do you prefer Rupu? The top or the bottom one?