Countless of souls have perished staring at Aura's profile picture.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: What game did you just beat?  (Read 296 times)

Offline Cobra!

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
  • ’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste
    • My website
What game did you just beat?
« on: April 12, 2024, 10:33:42 pm »
Another thread I see on other forums that I enjoy taking part in. When you beat a game, you talk about it here and say your thoughts! I’ll go first, with a pretty controversial game.

Finally got through this one and… I didn’t think it was that bad…

I’m not calling it great. It’s repetitive, clunky and glitchy as all hell, but would it call it bad? Not really. I’d call it mediocre.
The core mechanics of the game are actually pretty good. Flying around feels and sounds like it should and there are several of Superman’s abilities you have access to, assuming you collect the relevant pick-ups. The controls are a little odd, though, like pressing R to jump…
The game even has a letterboxed mode, as well as other screen size options. (Probably done to give players modes to improve framerates, but it’s still a nice inclusion!)
The game is also surprisingly ambitious. The outer world is massive! Sure, it’s barebones and the fog is practically at your face, but even taking those into account, damn! There was so much potential here and there was clearly some ambition with the game.

The issue that most have is that the levels just aren’t very well built around said mechanics, and the big hub world went to waste by making you flying through rings. Easy mode doesn’t make you do this, but apparently only “Superman” mode lets you fully finish the game, so I went with that.
These are very valid criticisms, for the record, but they weren’t enough to deter me from the game. In fact the ringed sections are great for turning your brain off and giving yourself something to do while listening to a video or audiobook or something.
To be honest, I hated the non-ring levels more, as the ring parts at least have checkpoints. In the mission sections, you have to traverse through small corridors clearing fairly vague objectives, all in one run. I had to use a guide a bit with these levels. It was nice seeing variety, though!
The last level though… oh my fucking god was it frustrating! I had to cheat to get through this!
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

If only Titus were allowed to actually make the game they planned. Wrestling with Gaming has a good video going over the game’s very troubled development.
Matt McMuscles has a video on the game as well, but I haven’t seen it yet.

While searching for another video on Superman 64, I found this review that actually mostly agrees with my opinion on the game!

So is this game good? Not particularly, but it certainly isn’t the worst game I’ve ever played. I’d say it’s a 4-5/10 game. If I had this as a kid, I probably would have loved it!
Should you pick it up? Well, if you are legit curious about the game, see through the bandwagon jumping, then I don’t see why not!

…Well, apart from the inflated prices the game goes for, probably due to it’s infamy. It was a top seller the year it came out, so it’s not exactly rare!

It’s worth pointing out that there is a cancelled PS1 game scheduled for release the following year, with several improvements made, most notably the absence of rings!
It was cancelled though, but a build has been leaked that I might give a shot![/youtube]
Matt McMuscles has a video on the game as well, but I haven’t seen it yet.

While searching for another video on Superman 64, I found this review that actually mostly agrees with my opinion on the game!
[MEDIA=youtube]yivH1ezG2FY[/MEDIA]

So is this game good? Not particularly, but it certainly isn’t the worst game I’ve ever played. I’d say it’s a 4-5/10 game. If I had this as a kid, I probably would have loved it!
Should you pick it up? Well, if you are legit curious about the game, see through the bandwagon jumping, then I don’t see why not!

…Well, apart from the inflated prices the game goes for, probably due to it’s infamy. It was a top seller the year it came out, so it’s not exactly rare!

It’s worth pointing out that there is a cancelled PS1 game scheduled for release the following year, with several improvements made, most notably the absence of rings!
It was cancelled though, but a build has been leaked that I might give a shot!

Offline kittenwatermemes

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 7
  • Wahoo!
    • Tumblr
Re: What game did you just beat?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2024, 02:07:56 am »
I believe the most 'recent' game I beat (not including Klonoa) was Plants Vs Zombies. Me and my brother beat the main adventure mode on March 18th though, so it was nearly a month ago. I think it'll still count for this topic though

I sometimes play this game with my brother. Quite a fun game, and I still enjoy it after all these years!  :big_smile:

The music, the animation, the bonus modes, the challenging levels.. Plants Vs Zombies is a classic! Don't have much to say.  :)

I might would be interested in learning the history behind Superman64, but besides that, nah I'm good. I definitely wouldn't enjoy playing it
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 02:21:46 am by kittenwatermemes »
I'm an special needs person with Autism, ADHD, etc. I'm an artist, I like music, games, and other things. I'm on Tumblr, Youtube, Reddit, and some other things. I also have a rare leukemia genie called ETV6.

My mind rejects the frequency, it's static craziness to me, Is it a solar fever? The TV man's too loud, our plane is sleeping on a cloud, You turn the dial, I'll try and smile
Wahoo!
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline Cobra!

• Hero in Training
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2024, 08:01:32 pm »

Yeah, another Titus game. This one was received fairly well, though, and yeah, it's decent. Controls work fine, and the AI and tracks are serviceable, although the former occasionally hits walls, letting you pass.
The problem is there really isn't much of anything to beat. It seems everything is unlocked from the get go and the controller pak is only used to save ghost data and best times.
Only thing pre-determined that you can go through is the arcade mode, where you go through 2 series of 3 courses each, so just got through those.

So yeah, decent game, but there's not much to it at all. I'd only consider it if you have friends to play with.

Offline RAYDEN

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 5
  • Dreams make a wish come true
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2024, 05:05:52 pm »

I recently beat Halo 3: ODST co-op on Heroic (I think?) with a good friend of mine, who happens to be a bit of a Halo connoisseur. We're just on a Halo Marathon of the sorts thanks to MCC on PC, we've been going through all of the games in it over the past months.

It's quite a noble departure from the rest of the series, unlike those games it puts you in the boots of an ODST soldier instead of a Spartan super soldier, meaning some gameplay mechanics are "nerfed" to immerse you into a lower ranking military unit. It also adds challenge somewhat, but it's not too difficult to wrap your head around if you're coming from the other games!

The art direction is also a radical improvement compared to stock Halo 3 and that game already looked alright for its time considering it came out quite early on during the Xbox 360's lifespan. ODST seems to take more advantage of the console's capabilities and adds more shading, more post effects and better characters models as well as higher quality assets all around.

The setup's quite different too, you navigate around this big far future metropolitan area and find artifacts that trigger a flashback into a whole other level, those constitute the missions you are tasked to complete in this game. It's kind of like Mario 64's world in a way.

I'm not sure about the story, it takes place during the opening act of Halo 2 except from the perspective of our ODST protagonist. I couldn't exactly tell what his main objective was, but he had to extract his squad and retrieve this precious cargo thing which I can't describe, plus there's some odd pseudo-romantic subplot that feels...really awkward in a Halo game. I'm still not sure what to think about it, but maybe I didn't pay much attention to the story.  :embarassed:

Pretty cool game all round, and apparently it's one of the more underrated games in the series. Go check it out and give it a shot! It is a pretty bombastic experience that you might not regret diving into!
Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho

Offline Cobra!

• Hero in Training
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2024, 10:26:21 pm »

It’s no 1080, but it’s a fun snowboarding game in it’s own right, even if it was incredibly frustrating sometimes.

Doing tricks is satisfying to pull off. Sadly, doing so in a race serves no purpose and can slow you down, and in the stunt challenge, they set the score requirements too high for you to have any fun with them.

Commentary can be fun, though. They had a surfer kind of dude (for lack of a better term) commenting on your performance in the most 90s ways possible.

You nailed that landing/10

(Image removed from quote.)

I recently beat Halo 3: ODST co-op on Heroic (I think?) with a good friend of mine, who happens to be a bit of a Halo connoisseur. We're just on a Halo Marathon of the sorts thanks to MCC on PC, we've been going through all of the games in it over the past months.

You think? :confused:
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:08:20 pm by Cobra! »