It is said that Dae is raising a Floof Army. Beware.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: [SPOILERS] Which game is your favorite and why?  (Read 195 times)

Offline SerialDreams

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
  • Huepow! Rupuruduu!
[SPOILERS] Which game is your favorite and why?
« on: April 17, 2024, 12:49:21 pm »
For me, it's always been between DtP and LV.
My favorite, though, has always been LV by slim margin.
And a good deal of it has to do with the story and soundtrack.

While early game LV's soundtrack is very similar in style and progression to DtP's, post-Polonte battle the soundtrack leans heavily into more emotionally lead orchestral pieces that feature synth as more of an accompaniment or compliment.
One of my favorites of which is "Mirage", the theme of LV's penultimate vision.

The emotions of LV's story are perhaps no stronger than in the cutscene at the end of "Maze of Memories" as well as in the theme of the final platformer vision "Hyuponia ~ Ruins of Sadness". The broken pieces of past music from both LV and DtP appearing briefly throughout the level's theme almost make it seem like the kingdom itself is taunting Klonoa with the sorrow of ever fleeting memories he might not even recognize.

This not being that surprising seeing as self-doubt aswell as narcissism are both prominent themes of the story.
"Wahii, rupurudu!" = "Okay, let's go!"

Offline rapappa the pepper

• Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 16
  • I do want a soulmate.
    • Rapappa The Pepper's Neo Cities
Re: [SPOILERS] Which game is your favorite and why?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2024, 01:12:45 pm »
Door to Phantomile is my favorite.
Lunatea's Veil usually is the fan-favorite, and... Door to Phantomile is still the better game for me, even tho L'sV is a game i still like, just, not as much as Door to Phantomile.

I already made a few posts before trying to elaborate points not many people really care for or realize as to what makes DtP so special to me instead of L'sV.  :big_smile: I feel like, it all goes to surface things really, which L'sV's strengths are for me all surface level things, it doesn't really do anything better than Door to Phantomile, but i feel like what makes L'sV a fan favorite is simply the world and atmosphere (which is shamefully absent in PRS alongside DtP's), which yeah, i agree! That is my favorite in atmosphere, but, not as in consistent or as good as Door to Phantomile either, Door to Phantomile is the most fun, well designed, and the soundtrack is, to me, better in Door to Phantomile, because every, EVERY single track in Door to Phantomile is for some reason amazing and really leaves a mark, like, even just, cutscene music is just, still stuck in my head... But L'sV, it has some amazing, amazing, AMAZING tracks, but, it is not consistent, and has a lot of unremarkable tracks really...  :sleeping: But for most, those overshadow a lot of tracks, some tracks just feel out of place even, like "Going to Lunatea" and "Stepping Wind" don't fit where they are at.
I disagree with the early game of L'sV also sounding like Door to Phantomile music, it is not, at all.
The world of Lunatea's Veil is less believable than Door to Phantomile to me, i don't like how over the top things can be in it, it is fine for most since it is a video game, but, i still like believability.

L'sV story is better and worse than DtP's if you ask me, in its meaning i feel like what it pushes is better, but... Man this story is just, not very well thought out with a lot of things that, really could've been better or more consistent, or elaborated with just another draft, DtP's story was simple, but, what carried the game, was its moments and world, which i don't think L'sV really could get a lot right, even if L'sV does have a lot to like about this World, it is not fleshed out enough, DtP was such an unexpected game as well for how simple and friendly it all starts, but has so many strong moments... It also happens to have quite unelaborated moments or plotholes.
The characters of L'sV? I like'em, but, not as much as Door to Phantomile, nor does it have as many to keep this world believable, everyone feels disconnected from the main characters in L'sV but, in DtP, they act more directly with Klonoa the more, normal people of this world, and even creates some like Balue!
I made an entire post dedicated as to why i don't like Lolo as much as Hewpoe, and Lolo is a character considered only better at a surface. (here it is btw)
https://forums.untamedheart.us/?topic=2733.0

Door to Phantomile also had the better levels, no repeats either, the pacing and challenge of DtP is just right! Whereas L'sV is... At times it kinda makes me feel sleepy honestly...  :sleeping: And i don't like how levels feel to big and empty, besides not feeling believable, how did any one even make this world? In DtP, things that were built, felt believable, and built by the people from here, but, again, L'sV just feels like everything is disconnected from the player. 3 hit points is also not a very good idea, and limited their choices of adding enemies. DtP also stabilished the background and foreground mechanic of the game, but it still felt like it wasn't fully fleshed out, and could only go up from here...
Turns out only DtP and L'sV have that (excluding Wii-make)  :sad_face: And L'sV utilized that mechanic even less than DtP, and did nothing to really innovate with it, for the most part, L'sV feels more like it is related to Moonlight Museum if anything.
The hoverboard levels are, under-utilized in L'sV... I wish it also played more with the physics as well. The NTSC-U cover of Lunatea's Veil even happens to feature the hoverboard lol- But, eh.
I also don't like the world map being available right-away, yeah, probably a good thing for many since it allows you to back-track and do some challenges, but makes everything less immersive, again, everything felt more believable and immersive in DtP, but L'sV doesn't, it takes me away...  :(

Despite all my criticism towards L'sV and how i don't actually think it is a masterpiece like everyone says, i still like it, it is my 2nd favorite game in the Klonoa series!  ;D Just one i think is painfully overrated, but then again, Lunatea's Veil is the best selling Klonoa game, and most people came off of this game, without playing Door to Phantomile first, so it was harder to connect. I guess L'sV just, really has such an "of-its-own" identity, that makes me like it, that is unmatched, even tho i am a fan of the super 90s feel DtP had.

L'sV is also a game that makes most people think of Klonoa as Sonic.  :very_angry: For the love of Christ, how can no one realize how Klonoa feels more like Kirby and NiGHTS?  :angry2:
Is this a forum they forgot, or has the forum forgot them?
Hello, pleased to meet you. Uhhhhh, i guess i like to draw traditionally a lot of Klonoa things, specifically for Whispers of Wind project, i make music for that too! As well as 3D models, not low poly Playstation fashioned tho, i like 90s Virtua Fighter 3 type models, any ways. You can know more about me at my Neo Cities: https://rapthepep.neocities.org/

Offline kittenwatermemes

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 7
  • Wahoo!
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2024, 01:23:54 pm »
So far out of all Klonoa games I've played (DtP, LV, Klonoa Heros, Moonlight Museum)
I'd probably have to go with Door to Phantomile.
Both DtP and LV are equally good and its a little hard figuring out which one is better.
Though I do enjoy the art style a bit more in DtP, and I like the story in it better.

And not to mention the ending to Door to Phantomile...

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Yeah, to me Door to Phantomile is the best one
I'm an special needs person with Autism, ADHD, etc. I'm an artist, I like music, games, and other things. I'm on Tumblr, Youtube, Reddit, and some other things. I also have a rare leukemia genie called ETV6.

My mind rejects the frequency, it's static craziness to me, Is it a solar fever? The TV man's too loud, our plane is sleeping on a cloud, You turn the dial, I'll try and smile
Wahoo!
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline SerialDreams

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
  • Huepow! Rupuruduu!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2024, 03:06:28 pm »
Towards the end of the beginning cutscene when he was being called by [mysterious voice], you can see the surface of the water rapidly approaching. Though it's never been confirmed as far as I know, my interpretation is that we (and Klonoa) are actually seeing the underside of the surface, which is why Klonoa appears to burst through it before falling back in.

To better describe it, as he approaches the water's surface he's still in that kind of void between dreams, but when he hits and bursts through it he fully enters Lunatea. As for why the powers-that-be put him in the ocean, who knows?

L'sV is also a game that makes most people think of Klonoa as Sonic.  :very_angry: For the love of Christ, how can no one realize how Klonoa feels more like Kirby and NiGHTS?  :angry2:

I can't be certain, but I think a lot of it has to do with his face in his LV redesign. The fluffy cheeks and general eye shape are fairly similar to those seen on Sonic characters, namely Tails, although that's debatable since he's my favorite Sonic character.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 03:10:15 pm by SerialDreams »
"Wahii, rupurudu!" = "Okay, let's go!"