There are several cat-like creatures in series, but one is the best. (Tat, obviously.)

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Let's talk about Klonoa's current state of popularity...  (Read 7790 times)

Offline YouDontKnowWhoIam

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 15
Let's talk about Klonoa's current state of popularity...
« on: December 14, 2014, 11:41:57 pm »
If you didn't read the title, do it, because I'm not going to reiterate what I just said!

Okay, we all know that Klonoa is a pretty underrated (AKA unknown) franchise, at least when compared to other BIG video game franchises out there.

But here's the thing, remember how when Shifty look announced that they were shutting down, that they said the franchises they represented were being talked about at conventions and stuff like that? Did that REALLY do anything?

Here the kicker, as time goes by, I have been looking through YouTube comments, and I am slowly starting to see Klonoa-related icons/avatars!

Discuss!

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
Re: Let's talk about Klonoa's current state of popularity...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 12:02:49 am »
Didn't this or a thread with the same question exist before or am I crazy ._. Hmm maybe you said it in shoutbox at one point in time.

On topic I don't have as much priority on how popular the Klonoa series is or check to see if it is. I'm more concerned with the messages the game leaves behind for the players being remembered. I might have sounded a bit illogical though xD.

On another note I want the world to see the game but I want the game to be seen as both it's stories and it's games and not distorted in any way.

Offline Sable-Xeno

• God in the Machine
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 50
  • The dude.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 12:30:25 am »
Remember how when Shifty look announced that they were shutting down, that they said the franchises they represented were being talked about at conventions and stuff like that? Did that REALLY do anything?

Yes. Wonder-Momo got a brand-new game after DECADES of inactivity.

Artwork drawn by Somnax (FA), 5th Gen Pokemon sprite bases made by Pokemon-Diamond (DA).

Offline YouDontKnowWhoIam

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 15
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 09:47:31 am »
And most of all, she got a song from her game in SUPER SMASH BROS! How does one do that!?
(Ship to 0:52)

Offline Naoya

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 3
  • Way too personal
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 11:55:44 am »
I'd say we're lucky if a new game comes out and it doesn't flop spectacularly like Klonoa Wii. The webcomic generated some awareness, but I think that might die down sooner or later now that Shifty Look died.
The Crimson Angel of Judecca cometh!

Offline Chocolat

• Magical Grill
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 8
  • My style is rich, dope, phat in which
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 12:47:04 pm »
I was crossing my fingers for a Klonoa (Or Tales) song to be in Smash but they seem to want to focus more on Namco's arcade games because of Pac Man which is fair enough.

I still have a glimmer of hope for a new game but I don't think it will happen. They could have handled the remake a bit better in terms of Pricing and the changes they made so I don't think that the series is a complete lost cause. Of course it's very unlikely the klonoa fanbase will grow without a new game, especially with Shiftylook's death (They were pretty cool rip). Also if they made a new game I personally think that Klonoa himself could do with a minor redesign, yeah I really like Klonoa's design as it is but another forum I had Klonoa as my avatar and most people thought it was a Sonic OC. Embarrassment aside, I realised that most people who look at Klonoa just assume he's a Sonic clone and just ignore it (Huepow sounding kinda like tails in the remake doesn't help). Especially now as Sonic's reputation is back into the gutter after Boom and will remain for a good few years now I think they might have to make some changes to give Klonoa a stronger identity when first looked at. I know Klonoa and Sonic have almost no similarities aside from them both being platformers with furries but as a lot of people have never even heard of Klonoa the first impression is the most important.

TL;DR New game Unlikely, Klonoa's design may need some changes so people's first impressions aren't "Sonic Clone".
Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her, you are not alone.

Offline Graystripe2000

• Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 29
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 01:45:17 pm »
I was crossing my fingers for a Klonoa (Or Tales) song to be in Smash but they seem to want to focus more on Namco's arcade games because of Pac Man which is fair enough.

I still have a glimmer of hope for a new game but I don't think it will happen. They could have handled the remake a bit better in terms of Pricing and the changes they made so I don't think that the series is a complete lost cause. Of course it's very unlikely the klonoa fanbase will grow without a new game, especially with Shiftylook's death (They were pretty cool rip). Also if they made a new game I personally think that Klonoa himself could do with a minor redesign, yeah I really like Klonoa's design as it is but another forum I had Klonoa as my avatar and most people thought it was a Sonic OC. Embarrassment aside, I realised that most people who look at Klonoa just assume he's a Sonic clone and just ignore it (Huepow sounding kinda like tails in the remake doesn't help). Especially now as Sonic's reputation is back into the gutter after Boom and will remain for a good few years now I think they might have to make some changes to give Klonoa a stronger identity when first looked at. I know Klonoa and Sonic have almost no similarities aside from them both being platformers with furries but as a lot of people have never even heard of Klonoa the first impression is the most important.

TL;DR New game Unlikely, Klonoa's design may need some changes so people's first impressions aren't "Sonic Clone".

Nice job! You said something that might cause an uproar at some point.
Discord: Graystripe2000 #6860.

Offline RollingMeowcat

• An ordinary dreamer
  • Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 19
  • Not a fan of Sonic/Pokemon
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 02:34:58 pm »
Question. Why do we have to care about Klonoa's popularity when Namco seems not to care about it at all?
Are we looking for a new game, or avoiding being looked down upon?
My favorite animes:

More to come

Offline Sable-Xeno

• God in the Machine
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 50
  • The dude.
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 05:27:31 pm »

I can't tell you how much I was hoping beyond belief for "Stepping Wind" to make some sort of appearance. (And hoping beyond BELIEF for "Raise Thy Sword" from Soul Calibur 2.) I mean, yeah, I get Pac-Man is a celebration of Retro Namco, but the theme would work just fine on the Pac-Land Stage...on the other hand, consider that said desired music would...um, play on said Pac-Land Stage. A.K.A., pretty much the worst stage in the game...and no, not just because of the MS paint graphics. It's just...flawed. That being said, the music they DID choose for that stage, while obscure as *WaHOO!*, is still friggin' awesome. I mean, better than Sonic's, at least. Okay, Rooftop Run and City Escape were awesome additions, but...no new remixes? They rmoved Sonic Boom and Super Sonic Racing? And the lack of Genisis-era music...why no Emerald Hill/Chemical Plant/Eggman Boss theme/Egg Robo/Hydro City/Hard Knuckle/Mushroom Hill/Flying Battery/Death Egg/Doomsday Zone/Palm Tree Panic/Diamond Dust/Giant Wing(or heck, ANYTHING from Sonic the Fighters), ect. Megaman has a similair problem with no music from the later games/side games, but the music they remixed is mind-blowingly awesome, so that gets a pass...oh, and DON'T get me started with all the missed opportinity for music from Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Kirby Triple Deluxe, or Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze.

...I have a lot of hilariously minor complaints about the soundtrack, don't I?

Also if they made a new game I personally think that Klonoa himself could do with a minor redesign, yeah I really like Klonoa's design as it is but another forum I had Klonoa as my avatar and most people thought it was a Sonic OC.

They DID try to give him a re-design when making the Wiimake. Don't you remember that hilariously bad Klonoa design with the pointy ears that absolutely nobody liked? People like Klonoa because he's cute, has FLOPPY ears, and because his specific look makes him even more endearing in all those sad cutscenes in the games. The whole look and feel of the series can absolutely contrast the underlying themes. I mean, you have the happy-go-luckyness of the first Klonoa game, with all these cute characters, and then...well, compare that to Ghadius: Human-ish, rather dark, mysterious, it contrasts so perfectly. And then in the second game, you've got stuff like, well, the Kingdom of Sorrow, with it's desolate landscape (Compared to the lushness of the rest of the game), emotionally distraught King of Sorrow, it just...you know, gives off all this emotion. it's comparable to  how a cute pink puffball smashes the heck out of a massive white eyeball THAT CRIES BLOOD, or...well, pretty much everything having to do with the Cave of the Past/Giygas in Earthbound. People LIKE Klonoa because it's just so much more than what it looks like. Changing that look that so many people grew up with...that could upset a few people, really. and making Klonoa seem edgy, or tough, or whatnot...not likely to go well with a few people. Sorta like...Shadow the Hedgehog. they gave him a perfectly good story in SA2, and then they brought him back in Sonic Heroes, and gave him this other...backstory stuff, and made him edgy, and whatnot, and...lo and behold, we ended up with THAT ONE GAME...Okay, that's more about re-designing personality, as opposed to the general look of things, but...whatever. Just saying, something like that wouldn't sit well with a few people, and might get even LESS people to get it, from being turned off by said re-design.

...Here's an idea: Why not make a new game starring Guntz? No re-design is needed, really, and you can focus on a different gameplay element, and it can intrigue people who may be into Guntz, or something...hey, it's an idea. It could be like the aforementioned Shadow the Hedgehog, but...well, good. (though, it'd probably still have LOTS of cursing...)

Question. Why do we have to care about Klonoa's popularity when Namco seems not to care about it at all?

...I was gonna argue this, but...then I saw it was about his POPULARITY. So...I'm agreeing with Rolling on this. Be honest, YDKWIA; Do you WANT Klonoa to be popular? Flakk brings up a good point: Klonoa IS similair to Sonic. And odds are, if Klonoa was equally as popular, it might attract some rather...odd people. And if Klonoa had fans like Sonic does, well...you can imagine the fanbase for THAT would be rather...yeah. (broad comparison, I know.)

And, you know what? I'm gonna be burned to the stake for saying this, but KLONOA. IS. DEAD. The creator has little interest in continuing it, and he's likely the reason the games were good in the first place. The odds of Klonoa 3 ever existing are about as likely as Shenmue 3, or Mother 4 (Well, an official one, anyway), and without the original creators behind it, the game may be prone to being...bad. Like, possibly Banjo-Kazzoie: Nuts and Bolts bad. I realize this is harsh, and possibly an exaggeration, but I speak in earnest. But there is ONE thing to consider: The Klonoa franchise is perfect enough as-is. Another game would probably just be looked down upon as "Inferior to the first two", EXACTLY as how most view the Klonoa Wiimake compared to the original. It doesn't matter how bad the budget was, exactly as many people who bought it would STILL buy it, theyd've just wasted more money on something that "pleased a few more people", who'd possibly STILL complain that it sucked compared to the original. (Some have said one reason could be Klonoa's current design doesn't fit the "cuteness" of the first game, which gave it that impact during cutscenes. That's something a bigger budget just can't change...and don't say "Re-design", or shall I point to said aforementioned "Pointy-eared Klonoa"?) Just face it, The only way Klonoa would be considered for any sort of popularity would be if he had decent exposure in a major game, like being playable in Soul Calibur, for instance. I say this, because Earthbound actually got decent popularity from Ness being in Super Smash Bros., Marth and Roy being in Melee helped bring the Fire Emblem series to the West, plus Pit's inclusion in Smash gave him the popularity one that would eventually get him his own new game in decades, Kid Icarus: Uprising. (The same COULD be said about Starfy being in Smash giving the series enough attention in the West to bring over the fifth Starfy game, but...well, that flopped. Spectacularly.) So, nothing short of Klonoa being in mash would really give him that popularity...but then, KLONOA HAS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO EVER BE IN A SMASH BROS. GAME, EVER. FOR EQUIVALENCE, IT'S LIKE ASKING FOR ALEX KIDD, OR AMATERASU. IT'S JUST...VERY UNLIKELY. Granted, he has a better chance than, say, Sora, but that's for legal, Disney-related reasons. It'd be more realistic for him to be in a Fighting game made by Namco, either Tekken, Soul Calibur(Actually, he has the Wind Ring Sword-thing, so that'd be PERFECT.), or a Smash Clone, like PSASBR, for instance.

TL;DR, Klonoa isn't popular, he isn't UNpopular, more popularity would possibly ruin him, people hate re-designs, THERE IS NEVER GOING TO BE A SHENMUE 3, Pac-Land is somehow WORSE than 75m, Klonoa is awesome because it looks cute (yet being far from just that), A Guntz game would be AWESOME, I want Ammy in Smash T.T, The Sonic fanbase is...pitiful, I'd really like to see a new Starfy game, and I'm salty that they didn't put Galacta Knight's theme in Smash.

Artwork drawn by Somnax (FA), 5th Gen Pokemon sprite bases made by Pokemon-Diamond (DA).

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 09:06:07 pm »
Just a friendly reminder: everyone here is entitled to their opinion.  You may not agree with others' opinions but keep it civil in here.