We have a Twitter account! Be sure to follow us for up to the minute updates! https://twitter.com/KloCollective

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Is Undertale as good as people say it is?  (Read 4441 times)

Offline Sable-Xeno

• God in the Machine
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 50
  • The dude.
Re: Is Undertale as good as people say it is?
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 08:01:03 pm »
Well, how to answer this question...this game is as good as people say it is. Well, to them, anyways. But then, if the game weren't great, then people wouldn't really be talking about it as much as they have been. I don't personally think the game is 'over-hyped', because...I personally believe it's worthy of a lot of praise that it gets. Not all of it, just...a lot. I'm not saying it's the best game ever conceived by a human in recorded history, but...it's definitely up there as one of the best games that came out in 2015. But that's just my opinion.

As for whether it's worth it for you to play it, well...there is a free demo for the game that plays out its beginning parts. You can play that, and if that appeals to you, then maybe it would be worth your money to get the full release. And if it doesn't? Well, then there wouldn't really be a big loss in your eyes if you miss out on the full experience.

And regarding the Undertale fanbase, well...just keep in mind that Sturgeon's Law is in full effect for all fanbases, at all times. Even the ones that people call 'good' Execpt ours, the Klonoa Fanbase is always awesome, all the time

Artwork drawn by Somnax (FA), 5th Gen Pokemon sprite bases made by Pokemon-Diamond (DA).

Offline Artsy

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 18
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 01:26:56 pm »
In my honest opinion, I would recommend that you actually watch a playthrough of it (for instance, Cry's playthrough goes through the "true ending") because I don't really think that the Demo does full justice for this game.

It's a really fun romp for the most part, but you have to really get deep into the game and invest a decent amount of time (and practice, because a couple bosses get pretty hard) to truly be emotionally impacted by the game itself. Also, because of this, I'd really, really avoid spoilers if I were you, because the game is an experience to be had. (I'd also recommend you play in windowed mode  :hey: )

As for it being "over rated".... I... don't think I can say that about Undertale. For people who have made it to the ending of the game, epilogue and all, the game is touching and moving, and because it appeals to the emotions it had gotten a lot of people hooked on it. It's also got some refreshing gameplay, and literally no farming/grinding aspect to it (Toby Fox, the creator, mentioned that he hated grinding in RPGs). The fact that people are fangirling/boying and making jokes, art, and voice overs for the game shouldn't really be written off as "OMGs A CRAZED, RABBID FANDOM! BURN IT!!", it's people having fun and making the most out of something they collectively love! As far as fandoms go (and I've seen them come and go, I get pretty invested in fandoms) I think the Undertale fandom is as refreshing as the game itself is. The community is really creative, like, they're producing so much art (of all forms!) in support of this game and tend to be on the closer-knit side on the fandom spectrum. (Hey, though, because "Outrage Bandwagon Culture" has taken over a lot of the internet, do still be careful because there are still going to be Sours in this fandom, like any, really, unfortunately.)

If you're into very emotionally charged games, but still love comic relief (there's a LOT of comic relief in Undertale, I'll warn you know) I suggest you play this game. If you don't have the $10 to spend (or are wary about spending them) then I suggest you watch a playthough!

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

MAJOR TRUE PACIFIST SPOILERS

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline VikVanHazel

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 5
  • How curious...
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 02:25:17 am »
Alright, now I really need to clarify! Undertale is a VERY good game and arguably one of the best games to come out of 2015! Certainly worth playing through the game at least once. I even played through Undertale myself at least 3 times already! People are not wrong for praising this game, but they seem to be... overselling it. I fear that this alone will raise Undertale to unrealistic expectations. So yeah, maybe a word like "overrated" was a bit harsh, but I was hoping to lower any preconceived expectations at least a little.

Also, if you are at all interested in playing Undertale for yourself, I would go against Artsy's advice and tell you to play the full game as blind as possible! Trust me, the overall impact will be that much greater if you do!

Offline Braixen

• Attends nightly prank call meetings
  • Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 24
  • Wario
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 07:04:56 am »
Play it blind and while sleep deprived at 12:00 AM and let me tell you it's a party
 x_x

Offline gamr13

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 4
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 05:48:06 am »
Eh, it was okay but it wasn't full on my cup of tea. I'd play it again though, there's no real replay value, the art style is really fluctuating but mostly just...Bad. The music the the f***ing BEST. For an RPG game it's lacking, it rips out most of what RPGs stand for, battling, right? Instead (assuming you're doing pacifist) you Act, whereas in Genocide you're forced to kill everything and gets very very tedious and boring. Toby took shortcuts with the music, taking portions of some songs and either slowing them down or speeding them up to create something different, in fairness to him that was smart.

The only time I felt the story got good was at the end of the pacifist run, I won't spoil it, but anyone who has played the game knows what I mean.

Overall, I give the game 6/10, it left a lot to be desired for me, but it certainly satisfied me, it was interesting, unique, and sometimes funny too, if you've followed Toby's work, like I have with his EarthBound hack (I played that a year and two months ago :D without knowing Undertale even existed in development) you'll see Undertale is soooo different. Toby's EarthBound hack is just...So messed up, albeit Undertale has it's moments but it holds nothing to his hack of EB. 

Offline mnstrmthd

• Cursed
  • Dreamer Rating: 32
  • inactive
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 07:34:23 am »
Gamr I totally respect that the game wasn't perfect for you, it isn't for tons of people, but I gotta say a few things:

I'd play it again though, there's no real replay value
There's a ton of replay value, imo. At least, to a point. There are dozens of different outcomes to the Neutral ending, a lot of hidden secrets and mysteries, and plenty of varying dialogue for many scenes depending on what you do or how many times you've played. To me, that's a reason to keep playing (though you can also just look them up, I guess)

For an RPG game it's lacking, it rips out most of what RPGs stand for, battling, right? Instead (assuming you're doing pacifist) you Act, whereas in Genocide you're forced to kill everything and gets very very tedious and boring.
It's not meant to be a typical RPG, that's the point. It doesn't rip out what RPGs stand for (like Paper Mario did), it subverts your expectations of it and puts a twist on the concept of RPG battles. The Genocide route is so tedious and boring because you're not supposed to enjoy doing it. You also aren't forced to do it, it's a conscious choice to play through it. The game brings up the (in-universe) morality of the typical gamer logic that leads people down the Genocide route a few times, iirc. It gets very meta with it's own concepts and genre.

Toby took shortcuts with the music, taking portions of some songs and either slowing them down or speeding them up to create something different, in fairness to him that was smart.
(What he did with the music is called a leitmotif, not a shortcut ;0 )
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 07:46:28 am by mnstrmthd »

Offline gamr13

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 4
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2016, 02:48:12 pm »
Gamr I totally respect that the game wasn't perfect for you, it isn't for tons of people, but I gotta say a few things:
There's a ton of replay value, imo. At least, to a point. There are dozens of different outcomes to the Neutral ending, a lot of hidden secrets and mysteries, and plenty of varying dialogue for many scenes depending on what you do or how many times you've played. To me, that's a reason to keep playing (though you can also just look them up, I guess)
It's not meant to be a typical RPG, that's the point. It doesn't rip out what RPGs stand for (like Paper Mario did), it subverts your expectations of it and puts a twist on the concept of RPG battles. The Genocide route is so tedious and boring because you're not supposed to enjoy doing it. You also aren't forced to do it, it's a conscious choice to play through it. The game brings up the (in-universe) morality of the typical gamer logic that leads people down the Genocide route a few times, iirc. It gets very meta with it's own concepts and genre.
(What he did with the music is called a leitmotif, not a shortcut ;0 )

Plot twist, I was kidding with that post xD
Nah, honestly, I love the game, felt no need to replay it though after the three endings, which I didn't even want to do I'll be honest :P