In some instances, all you can do is wahoo.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Tabe-O-Ja - Nintendo Switch/Bandai Toys  (Read 5928 times)

Offline mushroom32x

• Contributor
  • Dreamer Rating: 48
    • My homepage
Tabe-O-Ja - Nintendo Switch/Bandai Toys
« on: August 28, 2020, 03:27:48 am »
This was announced back on July 14th but... better late than never talking about it here. I thought it might interest some of you here.
Currently only announced for a Japan release some time in Winter 2020 by Bandai Toys.
Here is a teaser video:

Copied from Gematsu:
Tabe-O-Ja is a cooking action game in which you can enjoy strategic battles. As the special chef “Tabe-O-Ja,” you will cook various dishes including Japanese, western, Chinese, and more with Joy-Con cooking actions, and summon the “Tabe-Gami” that dwell within each tasty dish. With your summoned Tabe-Gami, you can form your own original team, battle against rival chefs and their Tabe-Gami, and challenge the showdown of the cooking world: “World’s Strongest Dish.”
Source: https://www.gematsu.com/2020/07/bandai-toys-announces-cooking-battle-action-game-tabe-o-ja-for-switch

At this point, I am not exactly sure how the game plays. I think you play short minigames using the joycons to complete recipes which will, if successfully executed, summon monsters placed onto an arena where they fight the opponents monsters. I assume there is going to be more to it than just that.

What I do know is that the monster designs are the primary hook for me. The Tabe-O-Ja twitter (https://twitter.com/bandai_tabeoja) has currently been sharing images of the monsters and the food they're summoned from.

This is pure conjecture from me but I have a feeling Klonoa's character designer may be behind these designs. The website only mentions "character designs by PLEX" which is a subsidiary of Bandai Namco Group, so it's not a totally far-fetched assumption. Regardless, whether or not Yoshihiko Arai is involved, I still like the looks of this game. Hoping it gets a release outside Japan so I don't have to play it in Japanese.  x_x

Offline mushroom32x

• Contributor
    • My homepage
Re: Tabe-O-Ja - Nintendo Switch/Bandai Toys
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 01:10:38 am »
New trailer released showcasing even more cute and cool monsters, game play, and what looks to be a web anime of sorts detailing backstory?

Offline Warp

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
  • Blasting music 24/7
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 05:10:26 pm »
Woah, I love the style the characters have. The second video got me more hyped than the first tbh
I dunno if I'm going to play this but I'm certainly interested  :)

Offline mushroom32x

• Contributor
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 04:06:35 am »
Source: https://toy.bandai.co.jp/series/tabeoja/topics/detail/1666/

A look at how evolution/types work in this game. (Or just look at the cool/cute monsters designs if you wish.)
You can collect ingredients of varying rarities through in-game quests to create and summon Tabegami monsters to fight. When you want to evolve the Tabegami, change up the ingredients you use.

A can of "Carine Spice" would create Carine but changing it to a can of "Marines Spice" will change it into Marines Carine.

Some Tabegami, like Carine here, can even change their battle type with the use of a bottle of "Hot Curine Spice" to change it's type from "Fighter" to "Tricker". (And get a fiery and devilish look to boot.)

Here's some examples of Tabegami and their types.

This Yakisoba-inspired Tabegami line is a "Fighter" type.
小焼鬼 (KoYakiOni), 焼鬼 (YakiOni), 焼鬼センパイ (YakiOniSenpai), 夜王 MEGA盛デスマックス (This one is ridiculous.. something like Night King MEGA Sakari'?' Death Max)

This Pizza-inspired Tabegami line is a "Crusher" type.
ピザマキトカゲ (Pizzamakitokage), ピッツァード (Pizzardo), ピッツァードマン・マルゲリータ (Pizzardoman Margherita), ピッツァードマン・クアトロフォルマッジ (Pizzardoman Quattro Formaggi)

This Ramen-inspired Tabegami line is a "Tricker" type.
メンニャン (MenNyan), ニャンフーメン (NyanFuMen), ライメン (Raimen), 雷虎 (Raiko)

This Cake-inspired Tabegami line is a "Healer" type.
ユニケイク (UniCake), ハッピーユニ (HappyUni), レインボーユニー (RainbowUni)

Translated names were rough approximations. Idk how they'll actually be written in English/Romaji (if ever).
The website doesn't detail what each of these types exactly mean yet... well, healer is obvious at least.
Now I really want a Margherita Pizza...

Offline Meguumin

• Contributor
  • Dreamer Rating: 31
  • Inconsistent lurker
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 04:45:59 pm »
Absolutely adore the character designs of this game. Gonna be a little upset if this never sees an English release though, because this could definitely be at least a flavor of the year for kids internationally. Maybe we'll luck out and see it boom outside of Japan within the coming months.

Offline Graystripe2000

• Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 29
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 06:43:07 pm »
The Switch is region-Free, though. So at least you can play it even if it doesn’t.
Discord: Graystripe2000 #6860.

Offline Meguumin

• Contributor
  • Dreamer Rating: 31
  • Inconsistent lurker
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 08:29:19 pm »
The Switch is region-Free, though. So at least you can play it even if it doesn’t.

Right, but I just meant exposure. While we could play a game I'm sure not many of us can read, limiting it to just one country isn't going to help it spread x_x

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 09:32:28 pm »
Aww I like all these. but especially NyaFuMen and Raimen.
And now everything gets a kami hehehe.

Offline mushroom32x

• Contributor
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 11:36:09 pm »
Brand new key art revealed. The game is scheduled to be released in Japan late November 2020.

The first merchandise is also revealed to be released alongside the game. It says these can be used to summon monsters within the game but I am not sure if these are NFC enabled or just have unique codes somewhere on them. I hope these aren't necessary to own in order to play the game but I am doubting it.

"Wild Sauce" & "Saltiness" flavor recipe packs (220 yen each)

Also, each week they've been releasing animated trailers that tell the plot of the game. They're on the third part right now.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWicKRwpgDWpkk89lgI0NgbXqpXiiVfIe

Offline mushroom32x

• Contributor
    • My homepage
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 11:22:08 pm »
Big update dropped with the official release date in Japan: November 28th, 2020.

As I started to suspect, the game will make use of toys: purchasable blind-bag character cards with QR codes in them and accessories that attach to the Joy-Con.

The game will be available in two ways:

1) A "full" edition complete with a download code for the game, assortment of accessories/cards, and a guidebook with tips and game info. (5,940 yen)

2) A "lite" version sold at convenience/toy stores which comes with a download code for the game, that lets you play through Chapter 1 of the story but allows normal access to the single and local multiplayer battle modes and use of whatever monsters you have, and two character cards. (550 yen)

Disappointingly, especially not living in Japan, is that most monsters appear to only be obtainable through buying the blind bag cards rather than in-game. One can only be obtained by buying the special binder that can hold all your cards. Ouch.

EDIT: I just found out that buying these cards isn't essential to playing this game. You can apparently obtain all the monsters via evolution/items in the game normally. The cards just get you them faster.
Also, if you have a Nintendo Switch Lite, you can play this game if you own a pair of sperate Joy-cons.

If you want to ignore all the above and just enjoy the monster designs, the official website got updated too with an ongoing list of all the Tabegami you can find categorized by what type of food they are (rice, bread, etc).
https://toy.bandai.co.jp/series/tabeoja/tabegami/

Personally, I'd be more interested in seeing action figures and plush toys of the characters someday. Seems very likely if it gets popular.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 08:12:18 am by mushroom32x »