Admins here are usually hiding in the shadows. We hate bright light.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Should I go for an alienware laptop?  (Read 1988 times)

Offline DreamTraveler

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 2
  • What you think you become
Should I go for an alienware laptop?
« on: December 19, 2016, 05:34:28 pm »
I know I might get told BAD IDEA BAD IDEA but I never really tried them out and there's one for sale on amazon for very cheap and it's a discontinued laptop. Probably because it doesn't have an external DVD Drive which I have no issues with buying those because most things are digitally downloaded any way. It has a 16gb Ram an Intel I7 Quadcore in it for gaming it has a 168gb SSD and 3.3ghz and full high definition up to 1080p it's not 4K but idc I like 1080p. If this is selling for $340 would you pick it up the guy said there's nothing wrong with it and it wasn't tampered with and is in new condition should I snatch this up before anyone else finds it or what would you recommend as an affordable gaming laptop?   :confused:

If ANYTHING I'm needing a laptop that supports high resolution gaming graphics and steam based games and MMORPG's I want to start playing Final Fantasy XIV Online. I don't know if any exist but anyone got any suggestions here I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place IDC if it's used I have no issues with used laptops I just want it to do its job and work. Now desktops I know to avoid and build my own but with my $10 a/hour part time wage job this is barely getting me any where because we have constant bills slapping us in the face like God is doing it laughing at us not saying he is but that's how it feels.
I exist in your thoughts and dreams.

Offline Matiri

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 4
  • Dealing with life one step at a time.
Re: Should I go for an alienware laptop?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 06:00:21 pm »
That laptop seems pretty good from what your saying. I would still recommend building your own desktop computer, even a low end one that leaves you with plenty of room for upgrading in the future if you can't afford a high end build at the moment and you just want something now. If you can't even afford that then, like I said, that laptop looks to be a sweet deal anyway.
Hope this advice was of any help.  :) 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 06:11:15 pm by Matiri »

Offline Fennekin

• Fennekin Lover
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 10
  • Please sit, and let's talk for a while.
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 06:07:41 pm »
For $340? I'm actually a tad jealous  :sleeping:
If you're sure the drive isn't a necessity, go for it :lookinleft:

Offline Mobotropolis

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 18
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 08:05:06 pm »
I'd pass on that -- if for no other reason then because laptops don't really make for great gaming. The more demanding the game the more its going to tax your processor and battery. Having a potentionally wireless connection won't do to well for things like MMOs, either. So by time you address those two problems (keep it plugged in and have a wired connection) you might as well be running a Desktop.

I'd second saving a bit more and building a Budget Desktop. Dollar for dollar, you'll be getting the best bang for your buck with a Desktop. It'll also be easier to upgrade your rig as time and money comes. It's a bit harder to upgrade a laptop and even you'll likely reach a point where it won't be worth it.

Also like three Red Flags waived about the seller simply reading your description.

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 08:32:35 pm »
To be honest that laptop sounds like it could be real sketchy. otherwise it's okish for the price however what kind of "Intel I7 Quadcore" does it have because there are older slower ones and faster newer ones :/

Also what Video/GPU does it have?

Hmm I have a bit of an Asus bias when it comes to laptops but eh do what feels best. Also a custom built desktop for that price might also better

Offline Rupurudu!

• Breezegale Resident
  • Dreamer Rating: 37
    • Klonoa.org
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 11:11:14 am »
It doesn't have an external DVD Drive
Did you mean internal DVD Drive? This is pretty regular for new laptops. You can buy an external DVD drive for very cheap these days. It shouldn't be an issue.
It has a 16gb Ram an Intel I7 Quadcore in it for gaming it has a 168gb SSD and 3.3ghz and full high definition up to 1080p it's not 4K but idc I like 1080p.
Which Intel i7 CPU? Which GPU? These are very important questions. Get the model number of the laptop if possible and I'll look it up.