Moos are watching you ◉ω◉

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Why can't TV/The Media can't understand games?  (Read 4772 times)

Offline Snow

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 0
Re: Why can't TV/The Media can't understand gamers?
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 11:51:11 am »
Gamer and gamers are a great scapegoat for issues that the news media would rather not talk about. For instance whenever a tragic mass shooting happens in the US, many stations, and especially the Fox News channel will try to find evidence that the person who committed the crime was a gamer. If you're wondering why Fox does this more than the other channels it's because they have special interests and pander heavily towards organizations like the NRA. Because of this Fox isn't going to want to have a serious discussions about guns and gun control in the U.S. (I'm not trying to say that guns cause all the problems, there are many good arguments I've seen about how a lot of it can be linked to the U.S. abysmal mental health care.) I actually don't take it as an attack on my hobby when the news media go after games, because usually it has to do with similar reasons.

In terms of general TV shows though. I think it comes from the writers of the show being incredibly out of touch with them. The reason they'll use CoD and Flappy Bird as "hardcore" is because they are incredibly popular. Games are a medium where you really have to care about them to understand which games are truly looked at as amazing, nobody at a TV writers room is going to know about Half-Life or Starcraft.

Although to defend CoD, the people that are good at that game are REALLY dang good at it, and it deserves the good treatment gets from sponsors. I wouldn't quite compare it to something like CS:GO, or even games like DOTA. 2, but I would still call it a hardcore game.

Offline Braixen

• Attends nightly prank call meetings
  • Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 24
  • Wario
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 11:56:50 am »
In the news:
"EarthBound makes children smash dogs"

Offline CacmanZero

• Moo
  • Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 56
  • Moo's Dreams
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 12:36:11 pm »
In the news:
"EarthBound makes children smash dogs"

It's Nintendogs game kid.

Offline gamr13

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 4
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 08:14:10 am »
Because the more the media bash on popular things, the more money they get, regardless of the hate they will receive.

Offline Chocolat

• Magical Grill
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 8
  • My style is rich, dope, phat in which
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 04:59:22 pm »
**** is just the new rock and roll. When most people who play games grow up they will in turn claim the next new thing to be evil while calling games normal, such is the cycle of life.

Also I don't know why people are complaining about kids playing GTAV and such when age ratings exist and are enforced by law (At least in the UK). I know they aren't always perfect (Mass effect was rated for 12 and up in the UK and in Australia Earthbound was rated for 16 and up lol) but it's 95% accurate and not hard to see.
Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her, you are not alone.

Offline Braixen

• Attends nightly prank call meetings
  • Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 24
  • Wario
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 07:01:55 pm »
**** is just the new rock and roll. When most people who play games grow up they will in turn claim the next new thing to be evil while calling games normal, such is the cycle of life.

Also I don't know why people are complaining about kids playing GTAV and such when age ratings exist and are enforced by law (At least in the UK). I know they aren't always perfect (Mass effect was rated for 12 and up in the UK and in Australia Earthbound was rated for 16 and up lol) but it's 95% accurate and not hard to see.
EarthBound gets a 16 and up. Mhm.