No one knows what Rupurudu! really does. It is said he lives in the internet, eating code to keep the server running.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: 30 vs. 60 fps debate. -stay sane though-  (Read 3364 times)

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
30 vs. 60 fps debate. -stay sane though-
« on: September 29, 2014, 02:42:52 pm »
http://www.30vs60.com/dirt3.php

I prefer all my stuffs in 48-60+ fps. 30 is a big nope unless I have no other choice. Or it is dark souls 2 and durability ticks are tied in with fps >:C

Some people say they get motion sick at above 30 some people say you can't see faster than 30 which is something I'll never believe personally. I love 60+ but I tend to notice awkward things happening easier too so that may have a few negatives.

I am also curious of what opinions are on  the gains or losses between 30 and 60 fps. For people who use computers and game in different scenarios.

I'm curious of opinions and theories.

Offline dummy

• Dumbness Incarnate
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 20
Re: 30 vs. 60 fps debate. -stay sane though-
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 03:24:35 pm »

I prefer all my stuffs in 48-60+ fps. 30 is a big nope unless I have no other choice. Or it is dark souls 2 and durability ticks are tied in with fps >:C

Some people say they get motion sick at above 30 some people say you can't see faster than 30 which is something I'll never believe personally. I love 60+ but I tend to notice awkward things happening easier too so that may have a few negatives.

I am also curious of what opinions are on  the gains or losses between 30 and 60 fps. For people who use computers and game in different scenarios.

Use 30 FPS.

60 FPS shouldn't be used, unless if you want moar graphics.

Offline Graystripe2000

• Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 29
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 03:27:45 pm »
Honestly, to me, it doesn't really matter.
Discord: Graystripe2000 #6860.

Offline zewing

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 2
  • I go fast
    • Twitch Live Stream
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 03:31:52 pm »
It really depends on what you want.  Usually 60 fps is beneficial if you're uploading to a site that supports it, or you want people to "appear" to be watching the game in it's native framerate.

For the most part, almost all of us are used to seeing 30 fps videos, so it wouldn't really be an issue sticking to 30.  However, 60 fps just, for the most part, is really not quite what's it hyped up to be unless you have really high quality standards (unless 60fps becomes the new norm, in which case the future will tell)
Dude Nice

Offline Gyzyn

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 10
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 04:50:49 pm »
I absolutely love to play games 60+ fps. It has that smoother than real life feeling.

It really suprises me that some people claim that they don't see a difference. I mean, for me it makes a colossal difference; night and flippin' day difference. I can't believe their claim, simply can't.

Anyways, I think that fps caps should always be optional. I hate it when devs put a mandatory cap. I actually hate it so much that I'm willing to look online for a way to uncap the game.

For example Alice Madness Returns. It was capped at 30 fps, plus you couldn't turn off Nvidia PhysX which practically made the game almost unplayable on my AMD video card because it stuttered so much. Quick config file edit and it runs butter smooth; 60+ fps smooth. Besides it looks indentical without physiX. I don't even know why they used it for that game. Probably because EA and Nvidia are a bunch of shady bastards.

Use 30 FPS.

Rather more playablilty. It doesn't improve the looks of the game, you know? Besides it's likely that you will have to change settings to lower the graphics, if it's a game that requires a lot of juice, to play it 60+ fps.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 04:56:28 pm by Gyzyn »

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 01:02:30 am »

Use 30 FPS.

fps doesn't really link to more graphics. It's harder on the GPU though. Also I rather play a racing game in 60 fps as you have more reaction time to things going on in front of you.

Offline NebulaVista

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 14
  • Archivist Extraordinaire
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 11:02:22 pm »
60 FPS all day for me. I can't wait until YouTube finally adds support for it.