You can't hate Popka. He's a jerk with a heart of gold.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Games you like that others hate  (Read 4699 times)

Offline Graystripe2000

• Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 29
Games you like that others hate
« on: May 19, 2015, 01:45:10 pm »
So, what games do you like that other people hate? Mine are:

Looney Tunes: ACME Arsenal (Wii): In my opinion, this was a fun little beat-em-up. Sure, the controls stink (spin attack control doesn't work half the time, yet the character will sometimes do a spin attack at the SLIGHTEST flick of the nunchuck) and the graphics aren't the best in the world (some areas don't have backgrounds) and there isn't much of a story, but it was a pretty good time-waster nonetheless.

Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly (GameCube): Compared to the PS2 version (haven't played that version, just going from what I'be heard about it), the GameCube version has WAAAY shorter loading times, and WAAAAY less issues. The only glitch I've encountered (other than the game freezing on two occasions) is one on Cloud 9 where the floor turned invisible and I often fell because I couldn't know where the edge of the platforms were. Sure, the graphics needed more detail and (again) there wasn't much of a story, but, I had a fun time with it. Music was pretty good too.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 01:54:37 pm by Windbullet »
Discord: Graystripe2000 #6860.

Offline Thorp

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
Re: Games you like that others hate
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 02:39:36 pm »
Prince of Persia Warrior Within. I found the melee combat to be the best part. Though it eventually comes down to just 2 or 3 melee combos that always win, there are times the player can mix it up. The story is...not good and there are some paradoxes but PoPWW, imo, has good melee combat to cover that up just enough that I play it every few months.

Alien vs Predator 2010 (3). The Marine and xeno gameplay are solid; I really feel grounded and connected to the two species. A lot of people hate AvP2010 because it doesn't play as retro style of the previous games...to me I despise games that feel like your character is merely sliding weightlessly across flat textured surfaces and when flashlights and flares do nothing but make rooms harder to see...i mean come-on my home flashlights function better during a power outage than these video games flashlights. Anyway, the campaign is decent but it's the multiplayer that I really appreciate. When the other players aren't hacking, exploiting or lagging the game is really fun....if only the netcode was worth any beans and it had VAC protection it may actually have kept a healthy community.

Mario Kart Double Dash is a really fun game though I keep running into people who say it's more of a stain on the franchise. I understand the character specific items were a bit ridiculous (looking at you Giant Banana) but teaming up with a friend on the same kart and melee attacking your opponents was a ton of fun; dodging blue shells in front of your friends was fun too. I really hope Nintendo brings back the double kart gameplay someday.

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 02:51:32 pm »
Every single Armored core game for playstation 2.

I love them. I used to be a bit of a fanatic for Armored core games. However they have a painful control scheme bland sometimes short levels and a difficulty curve that's more like a jagged mountain from hell graphics are pretty meh too for a ps2 game. But I enjoy the challenge of the games and the fact both in story and in combat you sort of have to make your own way through the game you don't get much of anything handed out to you and I remember in Armored core last raven there was even a troll mission that you could do right as you started the game that no new player is meant to do and you get no warning of that xD.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 07:59:31 pm by Vokadae, Reason: "you" »

Offline BinaryPulsar

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 11
  • Kore wa pen desu
    • Quotev
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 07:18:49 pm »
Zelda Twilight Princess
it was my first Zelda game and i loved it. it's my fave in the series. i just don't see what's so bad about it. the story is great, the visuals are nice, the gameplay is fun, it's all good stuff.

Metroid Other M
again, my first Metroid game. and a great one at that. people complained that Samus wasn't the hardcore bounty hunter they knew from Super Metroid, but come on the snes had limitations that the wii didn't. besides, a change in personality doesn't make that character any worse then they were before.

Freedom Planet
now i know there are people that love this game, but there's also a good number of people that hate it only because it's inspired by Sonic. now im not that familiar with the Sonic franchise, considering i only played the first level of the original Sonic on genesis. but i know enough to say that just because a game is inspired by a game not many people like doesn't make it bad. there's allot of things Freedom Planet does right that Sonic doesn't. all in all they did the best with what they had and i think it turned out pretty good.

may edit this later once i think of more

Offline SurrealBrain

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 13
  • Goody goody!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 11:38:39 pm »
Just about anything by Compile Heart.

I can see why people might be turned off by the abundance of fanservice in the games, but I find the games to be fun titles. Not masterpieces, mind you, but fun regardless.

Heck, I've seen one say that the Hyperdimension Neptunia RPG games are among the worst games he played. I've played games that make them look like Chrono Trigger and Earthbound by comparison. Again, the Hyperdimension Neptunia games aren't masterpieces, but they're not bad in my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 11:40:47 pm by SurrealBrain »

Thanks to FRAYKER for the signature! :)

Offline Randomizer

• Villain in Training
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 33
  • The Regular Army is no more
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 12:01:54 pm »
Shadow the Hedgehog on the PS2

*A horde of angry mob appears with torches and pitch forks*

It may have its flaws on the story (can get too complicated), graphics (which belongs to the Dreamcast era), gameplay (it gets tedious when doing certain objectives) and the music (its forgettable) but the only reason I like this game is that Shadow himself is a versatile character that can pretty much do anything from performing specials like Chaos Control and Chaos Blast when certain meter is filled, can equip weapons like swords and guns, has infinite ammo when the meter is full and not in use, can perform basic punches and kicks (I won't recommend using that btw), and can mount in certain vehicles and turrets. He reminds me of Alucard from Castlevania Symphony of the Night, which is also a versatile character that can pretty much defend himself from dangerous situations. If there will be another Shadow the Hedgehog game (which will never happen), I would give it another chance.

That's all pretty much I can say so toodles.  ;)   

Offline AlphaRed9X

• Stand User
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 19
  • is Mayonnaise a Klonoa?
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 12:46:30 am »
Please don't get me started again on the hate that Super Smash Bros Brawl gets...
It a me

Offline Spirit Macardi

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 20
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 02:47:07 pm »
Metroid: Other M.

People hate it for apparently going against established canon, but I love it because I see it as enforcing established canon. It helped to explain apparent inconsistencies from Fusion, such as how Ridley's body is somehow intact in cold storage despite him being blown into pieces in Super Metroid. It also acted as a love letter to the Metroid manga, with things like the design of Adam being lifted straight from it.

Yes there's the whole freak out moment when Samus comes face to face with Ridley's clone, but I thought it made sense in context. Ridley survived past encounters with Samus either due to mechanical augmentation or his natural regenerative abilities, but she finally managed to kill him in Super Metroid. She even states in the beginning of Other M that she knows she finally killed him... And yet there he is alive and in front of her. I can understand that breaking her sense of reality. And at least here she got over her breakdown pretty quick, where as in the manga she needed a big group hug from the Chozo.

The only thing I really frown on was the choice of VA for Samus. When I imagine her speaking, I picture someone like Tara Platt or Colleen Clinkenbeard who's able to portray a lot of strength while still able to get across a sense of inner sadness.

Offline BinaryPulsar

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 11
  • Kore wa pen desu
    • Quotev
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 08:03:51 pm »
Metroid: Other M.

People hate it for apparently going against established canon, but I love it because I see it as enforcing established canon. It helped to explain apparent inconsistencies from Fusion, such as how Ridley's body is somehow intact in cold storage despite him being blown into pieces in Super Metroid. It also acted as a love letter to the Metroid manga, with things like the design of Adam being lifted straight from it.

Yes there's the whole freak out moment when Samus comes face to face with Ridley's clone, but I thought it made sense in context. Ridley survived past encounters with Samus either due to mechanical augmentation or his natural regenerative abilities, but she finally managed to kill him in Super Metroid. She even states in the beginning of Other M that she knows she finally killed him... And yet there he is alive and in front of her. I can understand that breaking her sense of reality. And at least here she got over her breakdown pretty quick, where as in the manga she needed a big group hug from the Chozo.

The only thing I really frown on was the choice of VA for Samus. When I imagine her speaking, I picture someone like Tara Platt or Colleen Clinkenbeard who's able to portray a lot of strength while still able to get across a sense of inner sadness.

i agree. i love Metroid Other M so much and i just can't see what's bad about it. though i do find Samus's voice actor a little off, she should have at least a little emotion in her voice. she kinda sounds like a robot at times. but im not one to judge, maybe that's just how Samus sounds

Offline DreamyCheese

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 6
  • I'm new here!
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 09:24:40 pm »
Shadow: War of Succession.