Once you go Klonoa, you can never go slowa.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Oops! Lesson learned.  (Read 4508 times)

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
Oops! Lesson learned.
« on: May 12, 2015, 01:51:50 pm »
So I have a lot of hard drives in my computer since I buy really cheap ones off ebay. 7 right now and might add 2 more later.
Well I finally goofed and deleted stuff of the wrong harddrive  . Lesson learned I need to start physically labeling these things by port and whether or not it is on my sata controller card or motherboard @_@

So anyways if you have a lot of hard drives in some whacko raid array like me. Label stuff keep things organized a lot. Make sure windows confirm delete dialog is on. I did this at almost 4 am I should have just slept xD.

Complexity is a pain but I have poor mans raid so there is not much of an other way to give my computer a lot of write speed and storage space at once right now.

Also a spider decided to land on my keyboard as I was making this thread......................
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 01:55:51 pm by Vokadae, Reason: I derped up even trying make this thread thanks spider thanks a lot. »

Offline BinaryPulsar

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 11
  • Kore wa pen desu
    • Quotev
Re: Oops! Lesson learned.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 02:47:48 pm »
i've got one hdd with 2 compartments. local disk C usually has about 20 gigs on it (out of 1000) and local disk E has about 1. all programs get installed on local disk E, but all the other data is stored on C, so i often mistake the two and delete stuff from the wrong one  x_x so i know your feel lol

Offline RollingMeowcat

• An ordinary dreamer
  • Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 19
  • Not a fan of Sonic/Pokemon
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 01:26:00 am »
Stop messing with those hard drives. Just save money to get a SSD from Black Friday sales.
Although you can keep the existing disk array for backing up data.
My favorite animes:

More to come

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 01:44:36 am »
Stop messing with those hard drives. Just save money to get a SSD from Black Friday sales.
Although you can keep the existing disk array for backing up data.

Yeah, because those SSDs are real cheap, even on Black Friday.

There's reasons why HDDs are gonna be around for a while and that reason is because SSDs are insanely expensive.

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 02:47:43 am »
I got my data back after trying several programs over the course of the night so far. Also I have one small ssd it's 64Gb: / It is mostly just used for windows and editor like programs. If this post came out weird sorry I'm on a tablet atm with no hard keyboard x_x

Offline RollingMeowcat

• An ordinary dreamer
  • Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 04:36:04 am »

There's reasons why HDDs are gonna be around for a while and that reason is because SSDs are insanely expensive.

You're confusing me. Are nowadays SSDs expensive to you or not, Darai?

I got my data back after trying several programs over the course of the night so far. Also I have one small ssd it's 64Gb: / It is mostly just used for windows and editor like programs. If this post came out weird sorry I'm on a tablet atm with no hard keyboard x_x

Time to get a bigger one. I recommend a 240GB or 256GB SSD.
My favorite animes:

More to come

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 09:30:02 am »

You're confusing me. Are nowadays SSDs expensive to you or not, Darai?

Time to get a bigger one. I recommend a 240GB or 256GB SSD.

The first part of that post was sarcasm.  Yes, they are expensive, especially the 1 TB ones. I don't want less for more. Maybe it'll be worth my while to get one if they fixed the part where every time a SSD writes it. damages itself a little.

Offline CacmanZero

• Moo
  • Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 56
  • Moo's Dreams
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 12:02:35 pm »
Windows of shutting down screen saved power off backup return knowledge to recycle bin keep responsibility i should probably disappointed feelings.

Offline RollingMeowcat

• An ordinary dreamer
  • Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 02:22:52 pm »
The first part of that post was sarcasm.  Yes, they are expensive, especially the 1 TB ones. I don't want less for more. Maybe it'll be worth my while to get one if they fixed the part where every time a SSD writes it. damages itself a little.
That's not a big problem. Actually, you'll need a huge amount of writes to kill a SSD.
http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead
Even a 250GB TLC SSD can reach 100TB without any problem, not to mention other bigger MLC/SLC ones.

Btw, fixing memory "cells" in a SSD is possible - but don't ask me when will it become realized.
My favorite animes:

More to come

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 02:39:09 pm »
I'm willing to trade $$$ for complexity and a raid of hard drives suits what I need better for the space. I only need about 250MB's write speed though I aim for 500~1000+ someee day..

I will use SSDs when I am rich otherwise it would be a huge waste of money I don't have.

Deleted important data.  Decided to label hard drives.  Avoid bad accidents.